WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LINK FOR THE FIRE SAGA QUEST?

Pages: first 12 next last
I have no idea where to post this but what happened to the link for the Fire God Saga? Someone recommended said title to me but the link is dead. http://rpgmaker.net/games/2568
Oops! Wrong thread title... ack.

Thank you,
Tofu21
krayg_alynn got some negative feedback, didn't handle it well, which caused people to really scrutinize his game, and he said 'fuck it' and quit RMN and took down his game.

...in a nutshell.
Does anyone have a walkthrough for this game? I got stuck at the fortress and can't ever get in. I did go all the way back to Lucifer's Club and Crost's home and talked to everyone but nothing. I'd give up on this game but I'm DYING to see what's going to happen next as it was recommended by a good pal of mine whose recs in games I tend to trust.
tbh your friend has this one wrong. Fire God Saga is "...very hit and miss, but the emphasis lies very much on the miss side of things. The gameplay is dull and uninspired, the dialogue tries too hard to be random (although it can elicit giggles at times) and the graphical aspects are all over the place." to quote a review of it.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any walkthroughs for it here. I guess you could try google?
Yeah things got out of hand with this project I guess. People were writing me and telling me I was retarded and dumb and all that good stuff. I also wrote hateful stuff back that got me banned from this site (I'll probably get booted off again when they find out it's me). It's all good though; I did recieve a handful of positive feedback from people who wern't looking for the next masterpiece; but just a free game that was purposely created from random graphics with a loopy story (I'm tired from all the drama in game stories anyway). I guess the next time I make a game I'll have to remove my 'feelings' so I won't feel like a loser the next time I try to do something for nothing.
You weren't doing something for nothing, you were trying to do everything with nothing.
Kentona: guess we have different tolerances and aversions to different things. I, for one, gave up on TTHW after encountering some issues and got tired of replaying hours of gameplay. Was too tedious and boring and having to redo a truckload of puzzles, combat and so on? Forget it.

At least TTHW eliminated the endless battles.

I also gave up on Ara Fell 'cos of game-stopping bugs.

some_person:

Then I hope you learned to keep your cool, in the future. I'm sorry you feel hurt but criticism can be quite damaging. Yet, it's necessary.

Hmmm, I do have certain thoughts about your game.
Yeah; it was necessary indeed. I simply wasn't ready for a slap of reality. Games are very tricky to make; so tricky that it can almost be insane. I think my game could've really been better if I knew better ways to customise my own menus, monsters, sprites, backgrounds; everything. So I decided to throw down the bottle and now I'm enrolled in video game classes and design. I'm gonna give it all I got!
Well, there's the customisation issue and then, the size of the gameworld. Well, I don't mind "epic" but why don't you try starting with a smaller gameworld next time, so that you can concentrate more on customisation and plot writing? A long-ass development cycle is killer.

Look, just remember you're creating the game not just for yourself but also for others. Ooh you signed up for a class?! Best of luck! :)

Try also Gamasutra for articles and stuff.

If you want to take a good look at customisation, try comparing Last Scenario and Exit Fate. There're many other games that did heavy customisation, for sure. There's also Three the hard way where I really liked the idea of your stats levelling up with almost every battle.

As for Fire Sage:
Well, the plot doesn't have to be like Asian dramas where everyone ends up emotionally blackmailing or killing one another. ^^;; However, you could've used a bit of drama to create excitement and so on. I mean like "so and so discovers a letter to a certain someone", "so and so uncovers a hidden cellar which contains secrets that cast dubious light on their family's past(doesn't have to be murder but other things)", and not "let's just murder everyone in the name of justice or insanity".

There were a ton of battles and so much fighting, I kinda forgot what the plot was.
The game could've put in a lot more plot encounters and events to keep the audience connected, to the writing.

Also, the thing is that many of the characters had insufficient development and so on. Apart from a bit of basic things, the writing didn't really cement them as humans.

I wished more games included things(I think they're called "plot/writing devices") like literary symbolism and used 1 to 2 characters to represent an ongoing event/plot, but ah well.

And I liked the "no random encounters" thing and you can do tactical retreat most of the time to buff yourself up, instead of enduring some painful battle where it's obvious the outcome is death for the entire party. However, I wish the amount of battles was much more reduced and there was a lot more tactical challenges that're fun but not tedious.

It was also quite easy to escape most of the battles and to exit into the worldmap or to reach the save spots. I wished I could save anywhere as PCs are much buggier than consoles and even RPGmaker games can crash 'cos of factors the developer can't control.
I agree! The world was pretty big and the story would get so lost with itself because I would write a huge part of the game, stop making it for a month, then forget what I was doing and re-write the thing all over again. Honestly my original game of Fire God I made ten years ago made WAY more sense. It just looked horrible.

Yeah; going heavy on battles was annoying. I liked battles and farming in RPG's but even when I played I would think to myself "Damn! Better go save cuz' the next wave of monsters may cheese me off and I'll lose all my spoils n'exp!"

I'm pretty much going to start a new look on my next project; but I'm gonna learn more about story stucture and listen to others' advise rather than being a stubborn mule and think nobody can teach me anything. Alcohol messes with your mind after thirteen years. Now I'm a better person because I'm no longer washed up.

Thanks for the input! If I stopped making games I'd be lying to myself that I am happy. Can't wait to get to work!
Oh dear, that's what happened, huh? How long did it take to create this game?

Well, my problem with "epic" is that it often sets up the development to run into problems 'cos of the sheer size and it's only 1 to 2 people working on most of the game. Surely, the devs have no intention of spending 10 to 20 years on the next few sequels!

Or if not, "epic" ends up in a lot of duplicity and "wasted moments". As in: many of the areas or quests aren't really connected to one another or to the plot. Or if not, they add little to the game or gameplay and often, give you little payoff(poor xp, few awesome items, not fun). And instead of revealing critical plot info or cementing solid characterisation in a few scenes, the game has to send you on some long-winded journey to meet a ton of people whose characters are mostly similar. :( I'm excluding side characters you collect for the fun of it.

Yeah RPGs are infamous for grinding. I only like it when it's really fun and/or if it isn't forced on you. After all, I don't mind farming for XP/goodies once in a while. However, the battles have to be programmed such that fighting is still possible, even if the player hasn't farmed or power levelled. Maybe adjust levels of monsters and so on.

Btw, I liked that you only kept the maze puzzles for only certain areas and that the paths in your world were quite simple to follow. ^^;; I'm very directionally challenged and didn't run around in circles, in your game. Though oh gods, the mazes. Please, can you keep them into optional areas next time? I didn't mind that "cursed house" but that one where you slipped and fell off the bridge was ... well, very "confusing".

Heh, hope your next game works out for you then. I hope that you took everyone's advice into consideration then! :) And oh yeah, do take a look at the awesome battle demo for Arian Wild for heavy duty ultra customisation. It was created by both Karsuman and Craze.
Yeah! I'll take a look at that! I like seeing what other people can do with these makers. It does entertain!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=kentona
tbh your friend has this one wrong. Fire God Saga is "...very hit and miss, but the emphasis lies very much on the miss side of things. The gameplay is dull and uninspired, the dialogue tries too hard to be random (although it can elicit giggles at times) and the graphical aspects are all over the place." to quote a review of it

Is that a perfectly honest response.....?! Fire god Saga also got an excellent review if I remember correctly.
The good review of it was rather vague. But I haven't played it myself (I don't make time to play games these days) so I just going by what I've seen and heard of the game, tis all.
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
Hey I remember submitting a review for Fire God Saga! It wasn't THAT bad.
It had like 3 reviews if I'm not mistaken?

I agree with tofu21, it had some issues with the story and other things, but the game was neither cringe worthy nor a best seller.
Glad to see kraig_alyn still hanging around, though.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Yes I remember your review precisely, never understood your point of view, but that's all over now.
Oblic
Once a member of RMN, always a member of RMN!
author=kentona
The good review of it was rather vague. But I haven't played it myself (I don't make time to play games these days) so I just going by what I've seen and heard of the game, tis all.

Wow... I just lost a bit of respect for you with this one... Normally, I let people feel the way they want about a game, but not having played it and passing judgement so quickly?

No biggy. I just thought you gave games a bit more credit than that.
author=Oblic
author=kentona
Wow... I just lost a bit of respect for you with this one... Normally, I let people feel the way they want about a game, but not having played it and passing judgement so quickly?

No biggy. I just thought you gave games a bit more credit than that.
That's how I always do it for all games. I weigh the popular opinions on the game (based on reviews, comments, irc chatter, LTs etc..) and make a judgment call, trusting on the collective judgment of others.

...that's how it normally works in the real world, too. I mean, for a movie you might watch a few previews, read up on it, read a review, and maybe research the people behind the films. You also tend to find reviewer and/or friends who you trust on these kinds of films. And then you make a judgment call on whether to invest the time to watch the movie or not.

But in this specific case, I don't have time to play games, however, I need to pass judgment on the content of games on this site on a frequent basis. I honestly don't have the time or the will to play through the games on this site. Luckily, I don't need to, as there are many others here who do play a lot of games, and take the time to post feedback on them (in comments, in reviews, on the forums, in irc).

So take that however you want.
Pages: first 12 next last