DRAWING CUSTOM RESSOURCES

Pages: 1
Hey everyone !

So, whatever project I'll be getting myself in in the next weeks I will be creating most of the ressources myself as I'm not fond of rip and stuff used in other games. I think it's the best way to give personnality to the environment by presenting something the player has not seen before.

Of course I'm not crazy enough to get in the creation of thousands of graphical files with my bare mouse and paint. I do have Photoshop CS5 with which I'm good and I do have good drawing skills. I know I can draw anything that will be required in my game. But I have a few questions if anyone already tested that method.

Is it better to draw the stuff by hand, scan it and put color in it in photoshop or is it better to get a graphical tablet and draw it directly on the computer ?

If I intend to draw everything myself, will the small resolution of RM2K3 be a problem ? I wonder if when I'll scale down the drawings it won't be recognizable.

If drawed by hand, is it better to do bigger drawings and scale them down after or to do small drawings to avoid loss of pixels while scaling down ?

I thought of printing a 32x32 or 64x64 pixels gridded sheet (not sure of the dimensions) and to use that as a template to draw by hand after. Will it be too small and will the size stay the same in the print-scan-draw process or will I need to adjust back after the scan ?

Thanks in advance !
If you're looking to delve into the realm of Pixel art, there are definitely several awesome pixel artists to learn from on RMN. I don't think drawing by hand is the best method for spriting something as small as 32x32, so abandon that idea. I'd suggest searching the internets for tutorials and other things.

Derek Yu made a good tutorial for pixel art that I feel is a pretty good starting point. http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218
Pages: 1