WIP MIDIS: OPINIONS PLEASE!

Pages: 1
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Hi all, been a while since I last posted here.

I just got back into composing midis after a hiatus of far-too-long, and I'm looking for some critique on the three pieces I'm working on at the moment. Bear in mind these are works in progress (though the relative melodies are pretty much final) so instrument choice and notes here and there can easily be changed if anything sounds off. Here they are:

Chilly Reception
Frost-rimed Blade
Travelling the Frozen Wastes

Please let me know what you think and be honest. I've got a thick skin, I can take it. If these are utterly shit and I should just give up composing and go sweep roads, tell me. :P
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Chilly Reception - I found that one the best, that could just be my opinion.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I liked the first two. I'm not a composer, I'm a game designer, but I can at least give you my take what I could see myself doing with these songs.

The first one, Chilly Reception, is a nice quiet theme. Fitting for a nice quiet town or a nice quiet path. I probably wouldn't use it in my games because I like stuff to be happening all the time and generally avoid creating those kinds of areas, but I can definitely see it being used in a lighthearted game.

The second one, Frost-rimed Blade, I assume is a battle theme. It sounds like it would fit extremely well as the exploration music in a Castlevania game, actually. For an RPG, since it takes about half a minute to start feeling strong, I would probably use it for bosses or minibosses rather than normal battles. For normal battles, I like a song that starts out with a bang, because the battle can often end in less than a minute, and I don't like the song to feel like it's still getting started at that point. I don't want you to feel like I'm complaining; this isn't a bad point about your song at all. The song works perfectly as minor boss music and is really good.

I don't actually like Travelling the Frozen Wastes for some reason. The two main instruments in the melody seem to clash kind of badly and a single melody doesn't stand out. Maybe it's my computer's midi synthesizer. That's the problem with midis. They can sound wildly different on different sound cards (sometimes even leaving certain instruments out entirely). I'd be interested to hear an MP3 version of what it sounds like on your computer, but my impression is that it needs some work. And it desperately needs some, I dunno, some more oomph or something added about halfway through. I can't really picture it being appropriate for any particular kind of scene right now. I'm not good at describing the problem, sorry.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Thanks for the critique LockeZ. I appreciate your take on it as a designer.

Chilly Reception is the only one I don't really have a planned use for yet. A nice quiet town would probably do nicely, come to think of it.

Frost-rimed Blade is intended to be a normal battle theme, so I may have to jazz up the beginning a bit like you said. I never considered it as Castlevania-ish, that's an interesting interpretation of it.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like Travelling the Frozen Wastes; my instrument choice may need a review. I agree that the melody is washed out slightly so I'll have to look into dialling it back a bit before adding the fancy bits back in where they won't clash. I'd be interested in hearing an mp3 of it too.

For the record, it's intended to be for the game's opening credits where the protagonist is running along a snowy landscape.

Chilly Reception is done, barring any glaring errors in composition anyone points out:

Chilly Reception finished

Edit: I've also converted it to an mp3. I don't think it sounds too shabby at all. Chilly Reception mp3
Pages: 1