GAME IDEA CONCEPT: CAN THIS BE DONE?

Pages: 1
So I have this idea for a game mechanic. Not necessarily a full game yet, just the mechanic. I am sure it can be done but I don't know how easily or even if I am equipped with the necessary programs and skill level. (Actually I probably don't have the skill level since I still haven't made a game yet.) I use RPG Maker 2003 and don't expect to be upgrading to a newer version anytime too soon. I am wondering if anyone knows how to implement this idea and if it could be done easily.

Basically it goes like this. A map has like 10 different types of enemies you can run into. These are randomly spawned every little while so monsters never run out. Now if you kill a particular monster type, say Bunny, than that monster is less likely to spawn. (It is like in nature, you are thinning the population.) Then certain plants or trees or something in the area can increase the spawn rate of a particular species and removing those plants (like for a logging profession or something) will reduce the spawn rate. If the spawn rate is low enough that monster won't spawn again. This would be bad since each monster type drops a crafting item you can't get from anything else. So when you kill a monster you have to do something to increase the spawn rate. Perhaps an alter or something that you leave that pay that particular item to. Like when you kill a Bunny you get "Fluffy Tail" or something. That is a useful crafting item. SO you can keep killing Bunnys to get it, but eventually you will want to leave a Fluffy Bunny at an alter or something to increase the spawn rate so the monster doesn't disappear. Or plant more of a particular plant. Or whatever. Point is, you have to manage your killing unlike in a normal rpg game.

What do you think? Is this a viable option? Is it even a good idea?
It's very doable with some variable work. I wouldn't do something like that outside of an MMO, though...
The idea is fun. From the player's viewpoint it adds another layer of complexity. They'll have to plan how many monsters they want to kill and manage the item drop in an innovative way. Actually I think I might use that sometime, if you don't mind. It really is an interesting idea.

To eventcode it I'd suggest setting a variable for every monster. When you defeat a Bunny, his variable increases by one. So the more you kill, the higher the variable's value will be.
And when you use an item that reduces the spawn rate, you lower that variable by a certain amount.

After that you make a database event that ensures that the variable will never fall below zero and never rise over, say, ten. Make that event a parallel process or call it everytime you defeat a monster (calling it is better to avoid lag).

Then make the respawning event. Use as many pages as you have values for one variable. For instance, our Bunny's variable goes from 0 to 10, so that makes 11 possible values and therefore 11 pages within the respawning event.
Set each variable's value as the precondition and code your spawning, whether it is for a random encounter battle system or an enemies-are-visible-on-the-map system (I suppose it is the latter). And when you code the spawning, lower the chances of a Bunny appearing as its variable's value is rising (use another variable that sets a random chance for the Bunny to appear).
So when Bunny's variable is 0, there is a high chance of Bunny appearing. And when it's 10, set it so no more bunnies will appear.

I suppose that would work. If you can't get it done I could do it for you (but you try to do it first)
author=psy_wombats
It's very doable with some variable work. I wouldn't do something like that outside of an MMO, though...

Hmmm... an MMO would certainly give more use for the items and allow each character to choose a particular profession making a certain set of monsters more important for them. Of course, it also means everyone's actions effect what monsters spawn and what ones don't, so it could make whole dead zones where players have killed off everything and not bothered to fix it. This is likely to occur since there are always going to be people who will take the reward with out putting in the work leaving other players who are more considerate to incur the greater costs to maintain balance. Now I am not sure which type of game this would be good for. Lol.

author=Avee
The idea is fun. From the player's viewpoint it adds another layer of complexity. They'll have to plan how many monsters they want to kill and manage the item drop in an innovative way. Actually I think I might use that sometime, if you don't mind. It really is an interesting idea.

Please go right ahead. We will classify the idea as a creative commons. Do with it as you like but if you make a game please let me know so I can play it! I appreciate your explanation of how to do it too. That seems straightforward enough. I am sure once I actually try to do it I will screw it up immensely but it certainly does seem doable. Thanks so much. Perhaps we can try doing a shared project sometime?
I'd make a variable for each monster and start each variable at 5. Whenever you kill a monster party, the corresponding variable drops by 1. The plants on your map are events, and each one has a switch so that if you choose to chop it down, it turns the switch on. I would make an auto-start event that calls each plant event (it calls plant 1, plant 1 calls plant 2, etc.) and then deletes itself (is this command called Clear Timer in RM2K3?), and for each plant whose switch is off (i.e. it isn't chopped down), it will increase the corresponding monster's variable by 1 (perhaps up to a maximum of 10). Then, whichever plant event is last in this succession will call the monster generator. The monster generator will generate monster events according to how big their variable is.

Some balance may be required, because since the monsters' variables may go up much faster than they go down. One way of balancing it could be, instead of plants definitely increasing the variable by 1, you use a random number generator to give it a possibility of going up by 1 (i.e. random number X is 1-10. If X is 1, 2, or 3, then increase the monster variable by 1. So there's a 30% chance of it increasing).

Wouldn't take too long.
author=LDanarkos
I'd make a variable for each monster and start each variable at 5. Whenever you kill a monster party, the corresponding variable drops by 1. The plants on your map are events, and each one has a switch so that if you choose to chop it down, it turns the switch on. I would make an auto-start event that calls each plant event (it calls plant 1, plant 1 calls plant 2, etc.) and then deletes itself (is this command called Clear Timer in RM2K3?), and for each plant whose switch is off (i.e. it isn't chopped down), it will increase the corresponding monster's variable by 1 (perhaps up to a maximum of 10). Then, whichever plant event is last in this succession will call the monster generator. The monster generator will generate monster events according to how big their variable is.

Some balance may be required, because since the monsters' variables may go up much faster than they go down. One way of balancing it could be, instead of plants definitely increasing the variable by 1, you use a random number generator to give it a possibility of going up by 1 (i.e. random number X is 1-10. If X is 1, 2, or 3, then increase the monster variable by 1. So there's a 30% chance of it increasing).

Wouldn't take too long.

Oh! Thank you. That does sound like it would do the trick. :)
Pages: 1