Two friends, three regrets, and a lot of conversation about nothing particularly significant.
Null Regrets is a short, linear RPG that takes place in a modern time only slightly ahead of our own. It details the story of a man who attempts to rid himself of his innermost regrets with the help of his friend. The game is about an hour long, with only three "stages" and three required battles to complete. There are two endings, one a bit longer and more substantive than the other.
This game's battles have been designed to require more thought than repeatedly attacking or exploiting elemental weaknesses. There are also several unique character mechanics which may take some time to master. Furthermore, there is no damage variance nor experience grinding. To say the least, the battles in this game can be difficult; however, an automatic save is recorded right before every battle, so do not worry about losing progress upon defeat.
In addition, if you find yourself losing far too often and would like to simply experience the story, there is a stat booster hidden within the game. To access it, simply select the first option in the in-game manual five times; it should come up on the fifth try. This stat booster increases the party's stats by their base amounts and can be toggled on and off as long as the menu is accessible.
I don't consider anything in this game too inappropriate for most players. However, there are some slightly frightening sections in the game as well as a pixelated instance of bloodshed, so if those make you uncomfortable please be aware of them before playing.
This is the first actual game I have completed, having only recently purchased RPG Maker VX Ace through Humble Bundle. Development began on June 8th and ended on June 30th.
This game was a submission for the 2014 Indie Game Maker contest; its submission page can be found here.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my game — I sincerely hope you enjoy it.
HOW TO PLAY:
1) Download the appropriate game application from the download page.*
2) Extract the game from the downloaded application.
3) Open the extracted folder and double-click on the "Game.exe" application. The game should start up.
4) The game should default to the "Start" option upon starting up. Press the Z Key to begin the game.
5) Further controls and instructions are given within the game.
* The RPG Maker VX Ace Run-Time Package (RTP) is required to play this game. It is included in the larger download link; players who already have the RTP installed on their computer can opt to download the smaller file which excludes the RTP. Note that the default download link on this game's profile page is the one that does not include the RTP — please click the "Downloads" tab to access the other download which includes the RTP.
KNOWN ISSUES AND BUGS:
- This game's download may be stopped by Google Chrome due to it incorrectly flagging the game as a virus. If this happens to you, please try downloading the game in a different web browser.
- RESOLVED in v1.01 (PARTIALLY): This bug has only been experienced by me, but after being in the final battle for a prolonged period of time, the game spontaneously decides to crash. I have not been able to actively replicate this bug nor figure out the cause behind it, and my playtesters have apparently not experienced it either.
v1.01 Notes: This bug turned out to be more widespread than I predicted. While it has not been directly fixed, several modifications have been made to certain battles, making encountering this bug now
highly unlikelynot game-ruining. If your game does happen to crash, reloading your save should "reset" the amount of time it takes for it to happen again.
- RESOLVED in v1.01: Diligence gain will only be 1 upon defeating an enemy, even if it has Focus. This is not a game-breaking issue, but it is not intentional and unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to fix it in time without causing other issues with the game's battle system. Again, I apologize if you experience this bug.
v1.01 Notes: Suit will now gain 2 DIL when he defeats an enemy regardless of whether or not it had Focus.
If you experience additional issues, bugs, glitches, etc, please feel free to contact me via private message or on Twitter at @KafroHudrep for assistance.
CREDITS for the game are included in readme file located within the game's folder.