37 years Mario has jumped through hoops, bounced over mountains, trekked through deserts and crushed thousands of fungal opponents in the endless quest to keep the danger-prone princess out of the clutches of one Bowser - everyone has their calling - Mario's just happens to be damsel recovery
But a man's gotta keep things fresh right, between those hikes to the Dark World and back, he's found time to stretch his legs in football, tennis and golf, fancies himself a world-renowned racer and even has a life-sized board game for his own personal R&R time
But in those 37 years, you know what never changes?
Mario appreciates those talented Nintendo composers but after 37 years of video game instrumentals, he's not sure he can take it any more - he's going mad, crazy even. His brother Luigi has enlisted the help of a very strange group of individuals to help Mario out of his rut here
Oddly enough, these strange individuals are us
The green brother has enlisted our help to produce a menagerie of levels with what we consider the best music of our colourful world to bring some variety into his stressed sibling's job
When the event ends, this levels will be compiled into a hub-centered SMBX game and sent to Mario by express mail. As per standard, it will also be downloadable on RMN, because of course it will
- This is an SMBX event, you will need to submit levels created with the SMBX engine, specifically, RMN's classic fav, the SMBX 220.127.116.11 engine (I know there's fancier and arguably better engines out there, but I'm aiming to try and keep this a simple casual event, so we'll stay tried and trusted for now)
- Your level must utilise your favourite song as it's sole and only theme, remixes and alternative versions can be used in conjunction but it must be clear that the songs are obviously related.
- Your level must have a checkpoint, 5 dragon coins and end with a SMB3 star
- Your level must not contain SMW stars or the infamously buggy duo of Unskinned Dry Bones and SMW Bowser Statues, it is possible to get textures for dry bones that avoid being buggy and SMB3 Bowser Statues work much better
- Take this from the man himself, there is nothing worse than trying to guess "Am I allowed to swim in THIS water?" Water must be swimmable and waterfalls must be decorative
- All characters must be able to clear a level unless a level is made with a specific character in mind, then you must make sure the player is definitely that character before they begin the main meat of the level
- Avoid pesky softlocks, there should be no situation where you are still alive and yet unable to progress
- Try to avoid one-block high dead end gaps, this causes SMBX's infamous zipping trick and can cause some unwanted effects
- Luigi would like to remind you that the Mario Bros. are generally a U-rated brand and while he will grant some slack, if a song is too vulgar, he will kindly request you to either find a less vulgar or censored version or in extreme cases may ask you to use a different song. if you're not sure, leave a link in the event comments and he'll let you know
- The level must have Luigi of Mushroom Kingdom's Seal of Approval. The level will be judged and feedback provided in order to make sure there is a consistent level of quality, once all feedback has been taken care of - the level will be accepted
- There will be a strict one level at a time rule, you will be allowed to make another level (presumably with your second favourite song and so on) upon the acceptance of the previous
- And finally do not begin work on your level until the event's official start date: November 10th
- 11/10/2018 12:00 AM
- 12/09/2018 11:59 AM
You must be logged in to sign up for Mario's Musical Marathon.
|Entry Status Key|