THE RPG MUSIC CHALLENGE - PHASE 1 RESULTS!

Pages: first 12345 next last

The first phase of the RPG Music Challenge is completed and all of the entries are in! The next step is the Voting Round

Voting begins now.
Voting ends on Monday, January 16th at 6pm UTC

RESULTS

Entry #1:Dudesoft - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #2:Muninn - Fire Born of Earth0 votes
Entry #3:synbi - Flame Fandango0 votes
Entry #4:MrChearlie - Journey Through The Burning Winds1 votes
Entry #5:Xcalnarok - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #6:Theodoric - Sleeping Fire Temple3 votes
Entry #7:SDHawk - Temple of Pyre0 votes
Entry #8:moneymenace - Lava Temple1 votes
Entry #9:sameric - Agony1 votes
Entry #10:kentona - A Song of Lava and Fire1 votes
Entry #11:harmonic - Contest9 votes**WINNER**
Entry #12:LaMasquerade - Dragon's Lair0 votes
Entry #13:NewBlack - Ember Ritual4 votes
Entry #14:Swint - Fire Temple0 votes
Entry #15:Puppet_Master - Inside the Volcano0 votes
Entry #16:RolandMelvinZ - Lava Ruin1 votes
Entry #17:rickyleung90 - Lava Temple1 votes
Entry #18:geodude - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #19:Jude - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #20:_TilT_ - Lava Temple1 votes
Entry #21:Lana42 - Lava Temple2 votes
Entry #22:Paulman - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #23:Tarranon - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #24:emmych - Lava Temple5 votes
Entry #25:Scourge - Lava Temple0 votes
Entry #26:VGMusic_4_LIFE - Lava Temple3 votes
Entry #27:Wolfe - Igneous Bits1 votes
Entry #28:Ruunyth123 - Lava Temple3 votes
Entry #29:jasprelao - Shrine in a Volcano0 votes
Entry #30:Happy - Spirits of the Immortal Fire0 votes
Entry #31:theneonheart - You Kids Stay Off My Lava!1 votes
Entry #32:Gamesfreak13563 - Fire in the Hole0 votes
Entry #33:tgnemecek - Lava Theme1 votes
Entry #34:CastorOnline - Lava Temple0 votes

There were 32 entries (wow!) to Phase 1 of the RPG Music Challenge. There were 8 midis, 23 mp3s, and 1 ogg submitted. I have broken up the entries by their format and labeled them as Entry 1 thru Entry 32. To vote, reply to this topic. When you cast your vote, please be very clear which entry you are voting for, for example:

My Vote: Entry 42

If you wish for your vote to remain anonymous, vote privately via PM to kentona. Please include "RPG Music Challenge - Phase 1 Vote" in the subject line.

Feel free to comment upon any of the entries - feedback is appreciated!

To the entrants, please do no reveal which entry is yours until after the voting for phase 1 is completed.

Phase 1: Simple
Simple is beautiful. Participants were required to create a piece matching the description of the theme using no more than 3 instruments (also means 3 layers/tracks). How well can did they bring their instruments to life?

The theme of phase 1 was Lava Temple

Please, listen to them all and vote for the one you think sounds the best and fits best the given description and theme of the phase.

Without further ado, here are the entries:

MIDI Format:

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4

Entry 5

Entry 6

Entry 7

Entry 8

MP3 Format:

Entry 9

Entry 10

Entry 11

Entry 12

Entry 13

Entry 14

Entry 15

Entry 16

Entry 17

Entry 18

Entry 19

Entry 20

Entry 21

Entry 22

Entry 23

Entry 24

Entry 25

Entry 26

Entry 27

Entry 28

Entry 29

Entry 30

Entry 31

OGG Format:
Entry 32

Late Entry:
Entry 33

Entry 34
...what did you vote for, again?
author=Swint
...what did you vote for, again?
vote for the one you think sounds the best and fits best the given description and theme of the phase.

I haven't cast my vote yet. I am currently listening to Song #17 so far.
Oh, my bad. I didn't see the part saying it was an example for "entry 42". lol. I normally skim read, so that's my problem. I apologize.

Anyway, to cast my vote...

My vote: Entry 11.
woww... I have to say there are some talented musicians in this contest :O
somewhere along listening to them I started thinking I was listening to an actual game OST and forgot this was for a contest lol

hmmm i'm gna take some time to listen to them a few times before making a decision :p

also, just a suggestion with regards to entry identities - maybe for an ultimately fairer contest, it would be wiser to reveal the winner of the whole contest first before we reveal who did what track??

I know it's a long shot but it might prevent last minute motivation loss if one entrant happens to be dominating the competition :p
Dont you think its a little confusing when the entry number on this page starts at 1 and the song name starts at 0? People might vote for the wrong entry.
That's why I clearly asked people to vote for the Entry #.

I had intended to reveal the composers and their song after voting was in, though, I don't have to I guess. :\
okay, here goes my vote.
My Vote: Entry 28
I don't think its so fair to only give credit to one contestant so:
second place: Entry 11
third place: Entry 32
fourth place: Entry 20
congratulations also to these entries that I also enjoy and like very much:
entry 4
entry 13
entry 18
entry 23
entry 26
entry 27
entry 29
Alright, after listening to all of them, I was fairly impressed by the lack of terrible shit. I was especially worried after listening to song #1 (sorry whoever wrote it). I thought there would be a couple stand out songs, and most that just got a ten second listen and turned off. However, this was (wonderfully) not the case!

I will review my top six favorites, then vote for the winner as I feel a few of the songs deserve a mention, even though they didn't win it for me.

Song 11:
This song made it to my final four, but in the end didn't sound lava-ish. It definitely had the temple feel going on, but not a hot one. The song was well composed, however and would work in a game, save one nit pick. The drums and strings sounded like they were in a concert hall (which is fine, it's a temple) but the flute sounded like it was in another room down the hall. Either way, great composing and a good listen.

Song 13:
This was last place in my final four. It caught the lava theme (which surprisingly VERY FEW of the entries did), but was marred by the distortion. The piano sounded like it was actually on fire (maybe that was the point?), and it took away from the song a bit.

Song 24:
HOT HOT HOT. This song was VERY well done, and was probably the best at conveying heat. It struck me as being a little more on the desert side than it did a temple, but even still, the Norfair-like influence caught and kept my attention, gaining entry into my final two spots.

Song 26:
*click play* I am in a temple in Golden Sun right now! This song felt a lot like a temple to me, but not quite as much a lava temple. That said though, the Golden Sun like sound definitely fit the mood and put it in my final two.

Those songs were my final four, and by the narrowest of margins, song 24 is my winner. It was really a toss up between 24 and 26, but 24 barely edges out 26 because of the heat the song generates (without visual aid).

Others:

Song 27:
If this competition did not have a theme attached, my list would change by a lot! My favorite song as far as simply listening to goes is 27. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for chiptunes, maybe it's because when a chiptune is done well it's better than TONS of music made with real instruments. This was a blast to listen to, but unfortunately it just didn't hit me with a lava wave.

Song 18:
Lavos is being summoned in the Tyrano Lair by Simon Belmont! This song was awesome to listen to. Great chord progression (even if it sounds a touch borrowed), good structure, and just plain cool. So cool in fact, that it was not lava-esque at all! This would have made my number two spot if there were no lava theme attached.

So my final tallies follow, and good job to a number of entrants!

Song placement for the lava competition:

Overall song placement with no theme:

Good work folks!
author=kentona

I had intended to reveal the composers and their song after voting was in, though, I don't have to I guess. :\

What I mean is...if someone looks at the song name and mistake the number in the song name as the entry number..would be problematic.
Entry 18 has the artist name in the song description :O

Edit: 16 as well! :O
author=rickyleung90
author=kentona

What I mean is...if someone looks at the song name and mistake the number in the song name as the entry number..would be problematic.
It certainly would! I hope no one does that.

Also, I did NOT bother checking the MP3 tags for identifying information. That's just way too much hassle for me!
Oh man, this was harder than I thought it would be.

My vote: Entry 26

I wanted to vote for Entry 5, but ultimately the instruments of Entry 26 fit the theme better.

Entry 1 is not a minute long, so I think it's disqualified? Entry 16 is a few seconds short of 1 minute, too.

19 is heavily "inspired" by a Zelda song. It's almost too obvious.

haha Yeah, Entry 27 is pretty rad. I have a feeling who might have made that one...oh wait, his name isn't on the list :o I'll be wanting to know who made that one.

Where's Dudesoft's entry? xD

*Does it really matter if we know who made the song? You're not supposed to be downloading them anyways. Just click play and listen.
Holy shit you guys, this is a humbling experience. I'm going to have to up my game next round.

My vote: Entry 11
Next round I will be sad, since there is zero possibility of a chip tune.
Happy
Devil's in the details
I'm going to have to up my game next round.

My Vote: Entry 20

Other favorites:
13 <- second place for me
To me:
Lava = High-strung or stifling feeling.
Temple = Oppressive or solemn feeling.

My Vote: Entry 13.
It's actually the most melodic, memorable and well-written song. Composer experience exudes from it. Stifling and solemn feelings are perfectly delivered. I have a hunch about who made it :)

Runner-up: Entry 27. A great ancient-temple-built-inside-volcano dungeon song for a NES-styled platformer. The instruments and partitions fit very well together and I can hear the composer's experience. It gets the high-strung, oppressive and solemn feelings fine but I would have liked more bass.

Special mention to Entry 17 for making my ears bleed. The main instrument's high pitched notes are really annoying.

Special mention to Entry 23 for being what I would have least expected from a Lava Temple-themed song, while still being a pretty good track.
-Entry 6 sounds like it belongs in an action game. The music has that kind of introductory lead-in that could hype a player as he descends and more lava rivers appear. I thoroughly approved.
-Entry 12 is Lava Man's level. He's weak against the Ice Blaster, and gives Megaman the Mag-Missle. Unfortunately, his level is not a temple but an inexplicable futuristic zone. Loses out on some theme points :(
-Entry 18 was awesome. Problem is, it's more of a final boss dungeon than a lava temple. Unless the final boss is located in a lava temple. Very castlevaniaey too.
-Entry 20 sounds like it belongs in a light hearted lava dungeon. It's in theme and sounds nice. This is a clear cut second place for me.
-Entry 22 really caught my ear. But as much as I like it, it made me think of things other than lava and temples. I would certainly use it in my game, just elsewhere.
-Entry 27, it's obvious who made it :)

My Vote : Entry 13
hmm... nice place. Hot. Okay. Fire dungeon. Right on. Off I go. Fuck, that hurt. Stupid monster, die! K... Ow! Son of a... k, he's dead too. Holy difficulty spike, Batman, the enemies here do a lot of damage. Jump, jump. Ow! Piss off! Die! Geez... hey, hold on. My stupid HP is draining just by being here! Crap. Shit, I need to go back. Run, puny sprite, run. Ow! Get out of my way asshat! Ouch, I don't have time for you. Run, run, run. I shouldn't have been a lazy ass and ignored the save point 20 minutes ago. Get out of m- great, I fell in the lava and it slows my movement down. No way I'm getting out of here alive now. WTF. Should've went to the ice dungeon first... probably would've given me something to prevent passive heat damage. Damn, I lost like a half hour of progress.
/me is overheated and sweating
/me goes to get a drink of water
Pages: first 12345 next last