MEGAUPLOAD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN BY THE FEDS

KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Lucidstillness
Yeah, no matter what 'side' of the debate you're on, it really stinks that a lot of legitimately free content has been lost.
Case in point: The RM games archive SegNin had.

EDIT: Sniped the page like a boss.
What makes it even worse, in my opinion, is that the people they arrested weren't even on American soil. They were in freaking New Zealand. Now whether or not they were American citizens is unknown, but should the FBI be allowed to police in other countries? Isn't that a step too far over the line?
If this affects RM games then we'll have no choice but to burn our demos and other rare/obscure projects to CD-R and mail them out on our dime.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Liberty
What makes it even worse, in my opinion, is that the people they arrested weren't even on American soil. They were in freaking New Zealand. Now whether or not they were American citizens is unknown, but should the FBI be allowed to police in other countries? Isn't that a step too far over the line?

The FBI (let alone any other US government agency) has no jurisdiction in New Zealand. Chances are, the FBI probably asked New Zealand police to arrest the suspects on their behalf.
My understanding is that they were arrested by local authorities in compliance with international law.

Edit: Ah, KingArthur snipes again!
If the corporations were smart, they'd start their own pirate sites, that way they'd be making money either way. And they wouldn't have to pay the creators of the software, not that they do anyway, but still.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
"Side?" I haven't seen anyone legitimately for SOPA/PIPA. It is clearly poorly-conceived and written. The closest I've seen are people trying to argue that piracy is in fact a problem, and that better measures could be taken to combat it without tyrannical, over-reaching government.
Well, these organizations support it:

http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/Rogue%20Websites/List%20of%20SOPA%20Supporters.pdf

I don't support it, for the reasons everybody has already discussed at length; it just isn't the right way to solve these problems.
So now my question is, what is the next best thing from Megaupload now that it's gone? I find it relatively annoying that ALL of my files were on there for my game, and now they're suddenly gone. I'm going with Mediafire right now, but I know that after some time the files get purged, and the uploader is so goddamn slow...
SegNin, please say you backed up all those games on your own hard drive. =/

@Xenomic: Use RMN's own hosting for your games?
fuck

edit: segnin, april, i will get a RM archive hosted
The problem with that ZPE, is that my game has multiple files, and I'm don't think it'd be able to host ALL of them at once...not to mention said files get updated quite frequently and whatnot...
author=Xenomic
So now my question is, what is the next best thing from Megaupload now that it's gone? I find it relatively annoying that ALL of my files were on there for my game, and now they're suddenly gone. I'm going with Mediafire right now, but I know that after some time the files get purged, and the uploader is so goddamn slow...

MediaFire, 4Shared, RapidShare, FileServe, FilSonic and Wupload seem to be the next best ones. Probably out of that group MediaFire & 4Shared are the best.

There's also GameFront.

(Btw, 4Shared is being sued by a company to force it to reveal the identity of whoever stored what the company claims are confidential documents in their 4Shared folder) http://torrentfreak.com/4shared-sued-to-reveal-identify-of-infringing-users-120104/

author=ZPE
SegNin, please say you backed up all those games on your own hard drive. =/

@Xenomic: Use RMN's own hosting for your games?

Don't worry, I've got them--most of them are stored on 2 hard drives.
Welp! Guess I'm stuck with Mediafire then unless Megaupload somehow manages to come back...
author=Xenomic
The problem with that ZPE, is that my game has multiple files, and I'm don't think it'd be able to host ALL of them at once...not to mention said files get updated quite frequently and whatnot...

Fair enough. Good luck finding a decent file host, off the top of my head, try Rapidshare, Minus, Dropbox and there's probably others but most if not all of these have short expiry dates on links (probably not a problem for you if you're updating files regularly).

@SegNin: That's a relief. :P
Yeah, that's why I didn't like using Mediafire to begin with, since I had files from another MUGEN project that was deleted...and the music files probably WON'T be updated that much...that's why I loved MU was I didn't HAVE to worry about my files spontaneously vanishing from expiration dates...but forced to use it right now even though I really hate it (and apparently, my computer does too...).
author=ZPE
@SegNin: That's a relief. :P

Certainly is! I saw how many games he had in the rare game topic-holy crap!
Wow, MU was a pretty good site that I used for years...really sad to see this taken down. D:
I'm curious as to the extent of "damage" done to Megaupload. Are motherboards and hard drives littered on the floor all smashed up, or is everything still salvagable with a few mouse clicks?
Apart from the possibility of physical destruction, I can't imagine any lasting damage done to MU. I'm sure there's something in their Terms and Conditions that absolves them of responsibility for user actions. On top of that, how many legitimate users have just had their personal items taken offline in a blanket wipe? That smells like class action lawsuit if reparation isn't made shortly.

My immediate thoughts are that this raid was a rush-job attempt to court congressional favor back to supporting the bill. Kind of a "we can do it if we believe in ourselves" show of power. I don't see it working.

author=SegNin
** Obama has stated he won't support SOPA
http://allhiphop.com/2012/01/18/president-obama-stops-sopa-piracy-bill/
He said he would veto the NDAA bill too. I wouldn't trust that puppet to give me directions to the toilet.

author=LockeZ
The hackers piss me off. Good job, assholes. Congress is considering passing a law that you're vocally against, and just in the past day decided they probably aren't going to pass it. What a great time to antagonize them and make yourselves look like terrorists! I'm sure that totally won't make them reconsider helping you out, or anything.
What are people supposed to do? Lie quietly and take it? "Oh well, guys. The Feds got us. Can't be helped."
When a bully punches you, you punch back. Peace through mutual strength. Sure, the government has the advantage of being able to change the rules at will, but if you let them run unchallenged, you get tyranny.