WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Liberty
No, we didn't enforce that early on at all. We had a guy shoot up a tourist area and put our foot down and made the laws. You might not have been alive to remember it at the time, but I did and there was a huge fuss over having to give up our right to have guns - especially from the farmers - but guess what? We did it. Despite the protests and anger and complaints, it still got done and we haven't had anything like the Amercian shootings that happen almost monthly for years.

Bar last years' hostage situation, but hell, there is bound to be one popping up every decade or so, and while it's horrible that people did die, there were a lot less than in most of the news you hear of American situations of the like - 3 people total, one by ricochet, one by the hostage taker and the hostage taker themselves. Out of the possible 17 or so hostages.
Jeez how old are you??

Like I'm 27 and the only time I've seen a gun is in a cops holster. I was young when I saw that too.

And Wagga Wagga is pretty funny.

What about Woog Woog, or Indoropilly, or Mallanganee.

Also to clarify, the natives aren't gone, but they are on almost the same kind of thread of existence the Red Indians are.

There's a lot in places further west, usually living in the bush. In my Hometown there was a lot of them, though in Brisbane I've been hard-pressed to find just one.

There's more African Americans up here than indigenous black fellas.

I used to know one of the Elders, Dave Walker, during my time at Mallanganee, there was also Lorrel and a couple others, but they're the ones I remember. Lorrel for her ability those indigenous women just seem to have of becoming a swarm of nightmare when they are angered. These big black dudes are fucking terrified, it's so wonderfully cathartic to watch.

Dave was super cool and chill. I offered him one of these when I was talking to him at the park.

He was shocked I could eat a bag of them in less than a week. His face contorted in what i could only describe as a mix of anguish and fear. White man food... it may as well be poison.

We have some really funny words and colloquialisms. I think one of my favourites is either BUNGFUCK NOWHERE or Mad Cunt.

Mad Cunt generally means your awesomely insane or reckless. Bungfuck nowhere should be self explanatory but it basically means the area in which you don't have any indication to where you are beyond just 'Planet Earth: somewhere.'

Here, since this is a pretty free roam thread and we're thinking and talking about it, here's a video on Australia that's hilarious and offensively true.

Also, just a fun little history lesson about me, our most famous vigilante, Ned Kelly, I am related to by blood. His cousin Joe Byrne, shares direct Lineage with my father, Alan Byrnes. The S was added to save the family from judgement or prosecution.

On learning of this, I became infinitely endowed with my heritage, it explains a lot about me, my rebellious chaotic nature, my ability to persevere even when accomplishing something seems impossible.

It made so much sense.
They're still around, don't worry. And the ones I've met have all had a great sense of humour. I used to go to school with this one boy... man, he was hilarious - and an amazing jumper! He could stand-jump onto a wheelie-bin!

The area I live is in huge with Aboriginal art and memorial grounds. They have the best stories, I tell ya what! One place, Bunjil's cave, which is a few K's away from where I live, is full of interesting tales. It's an old burial ground and there's one story that would put FNaF's to shame. Creepy stuff, yo.

Edit: BM is right, though. You don't usually see many Aboriginals outside of certain areas of Australia, which is a pity. I wouldn't go so far as to call them reservations or equate them with the Indigenous American peoples, but they are scarce and do prefer to stick to their own people. Sadly, the Australian Government has never done well by them.

@LockeZ: I believe it is unethical to own a gun - it's a weapon for killing and thus the intention in owning one is to kill. Even thinking of it as a protectionist measure, the idea is to kill the one threatening you. Literally everyone who I have ever talked to about owning a gun has said that in the case of someone breaking into their home they would kill that person. Kill. And the scary thing is that they believe they have the right to do so. As though owning the gun itself gives them the right to kill. And they're right, in a way - because of what a gun is, it's only reason to be is for killing, so being allowed to own one is to tell that person that they are allowed to kill. In certain circumstances only, yes, but still that there is a circumstance where they are allowed to kill someone with that gun.
I'm thinking about weather or not I want to make a new game page for Glacia.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Liberty you live in the Pyrenees? Strange I had an idea you were more Gippy way. Though that does explain the reference to the Stawell Chinese restaurant.

Oh and Lockez ethics ≠ laws. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is ethical or vice versa. Ethics is a branch of philosophy (and a wide one at that), law is a binding and obligatory custom backed by sanction.
BizarreMonkey
author=Sated
I used to go to school with this one boy... man, he was hilarious - and an amazing jumper! He could stand-jump onto a wheelie-bin!
I miss when I could do that... and just generally stretch more than is reasonable for a human.
If I find out you're also Australian I'm probably going to lose my shit.

I used to think asides from Angrypacman and DP3 I was the only Australian who knew what rpg maker was.

Now I find people with avatars like this may hypothetically be close enough to me to kill me.

Pacman and DP3 are cool fellas from Melbourne. One of them is an employee of mine... so to speak.

I've already revealed my location, oops.
author=nhubi
Liberty you live in the Pyrenees? Strange I had an idea you were more Gippy way. Though that does explain the reference to the Stawell Chinese restaurant.
Oh come on! Not you as well.

(I'm kidding, it would be rad as fuck to have some more devs of the rpgmak crowd hanging out in Aussieland.)

It would make sense here or RMRK would be like, the go-to for Aussie fellas since we're usually pretty uh... apathetically unafraid to tell someone their opinion is shit.

It would certainly explain why you're so good at being a witty cunt, Sated.

And while at first i lost my shit, thinking about it Libby's like, really happy to express when I'm wrong or being dumb about something, obviously I'm hella stereotyping here, but shit I'll just say it made sense in retrospect.

Those murican pussies can't face me on an equal playing field, Liberty, DP3 and Pacman can.

Sated hasn't really bothered, just sits back and watches shit fly, which is also why I'm suss.

Don't get me wrong, their are Australians who aren't abrasive apathetic cunts, just most of them are liberal voters, therefore invested in fraudulent newspapers and TVs shows and not using the internet.

I've never met an Australian on the internet who hasn't been good at giving no shits about insulting me.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Not all killing is wrong. Killing in self-defense isn't wrong. And much more commonly, hunting isn't wrong. Hunting makes up way more than 99% of what people actually use guns for (though people own a gun and never use it still probably outnumber hunters by a ton).

I don't own a gun, but if someone broke into my condo, I'd threaten them with one of my swords. And if they then attacked me instead of leaving, then yeah, I would kill them.
BizarreMonkey
author=LockeZ
Not all killing is wrong. Killing in self-defense isn't wrong. And much more commonly, hunting isn't wrong. Hunting makes up way more than 99% of what people actually use guns for (though people own a gun and never use it still probably outnumber hunters by a ton).

I don't own a gun, but if someone broke into my condo, I'd threaten them with one of my swords. And if they then attacked me instead of leaving, then yeah, I would kill them.
This is what I was saying somewhere else, you've become too dependant on guns, I say!

And Obama is by far your best bet for getting gun laws outed, because it was never even considered before he came along afaik. Though "As Far as I Know" is a shallow knowledge base because I know at most 8 of your presidents by name.

That said I only known five of my PM's so... SHRUG!

That whole epidemic was taking place when I was using google+ and causes.com to troll people like a petty lifeless wanker, so I found out about things.

Looking at your candidates for 2016.
This guy looks good. Hippy, sure! But by god compassion is better than this!

Hilary also checks out.

No not Hilary Duff. The heir of Bill Clinton himself.

Ooof, this guy looks like trouble. Another cowboy in parliment, you don't need another Ronald Regan. You already had a Ronald Regan, he was called Ronald Regan.
https://twitter.com/MartinOMalley

Okay, this guy!
https://twitter.com/SenSanders
This guy looks like a bloody promising one. He opposes the private sector's misuse of money for ill gain and stands against climate change.

Fuck. WE could use him. Give him to us America! Much as it was enchanting in the 1990's duo hit Oddworld, I don't want to live in this.

This is what's great about having four major parties, we only have two that ever get voted in, the greens we're getting close but gracious ol' Gina decided to make them look crazy.

Hilarious consider Miss Rinehart was the one who not just suggested, PUSHED to have North Western Australia NUCLEAR BOMBED.

And not for any greater good like curing a vicious plague or to sink some Babelonian hellspawn to whence it came.

To making mining easier.

But was she arrest for plotting a terrorist attack? No. Instead she was allowed to buy a large majority of our media that she, the woman who wanted to NUKE US uses to make the Greens look crazy.

Oh right, Jim Webb, vague, promises honesty, which is the biggest monkey's paw I've seen, seems to support the American ideology of 'kill anything that looks at us funny'. What, wasn't 900,000 DEATHS ENOUGH AMERICA? Stop fucking competing with Hitler, alright? He's still got five times your lead. You made your point, you got your oil, you have a disfigured town square in new york and a couple grand deaths to whine about for an attack you instigated. Can we go back to being evolved beyond the fucking Dark Ages, please?

I don't trust him. I'm honest, and I'm a cunt about it.

The difference is that you give them the chance to back off, and they have to get close to you in order to hurt you - thus they have the ability to leave without having you take pot shots at their heads when they change their minds. A sword is also fucking hard to miss and doesn't require you to fire a shot (that may or may not hit a person) in order to make it clear that it is there.

Guns are completely different - they do damage from afar, often before the other person can ascertain that they are there. There's no chance for a person to back away. And you are only ever taught to shoot to kill with guns. Swords can injure without killing - you can cut arms and legs easily, disarming someone. A gun - not so much. That is why police are taught to shoot to kill - because it takes an amazing amount of skill to aim for a limb and hit it. Thus, body shots and head-shots. Death-shots.

There's a million reasons why guns should be removed = ethically.
nhubi
Wow BM, that was a broad and sweeping series of assumptions there.

I'm Australian, I am rarely apathetic or abrasive, and yet here I am on on the internet. I vote on issues, not party allegiance and I source my news from a wide range of mediums which do include newspapers, but span the gamut of ideologies.

I also believe I've never insulted you, so you might want to rethink those statements.

Also, sorry, not a dev. Gamer, occasional tester and slightly obsessive reviewer. :)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't know why you think a gun being pointed at you is easy to miss. If the person is trying to threaten you they're not going to make it easy to miss.

Another common fear many gun owners have is that if the government took away their guns, the criminals would still have theirs. It would become difficult for criminals to buy guns, but they'd still have all their guns from before it was illegal to own them, so there would be years or decades of additional danger before there was any additional safety. How was that problem handled in Australia when the gun laws were changed?
The idea you presented was that it was someone breaking into your home. That would be at night, in the dark. Guns are smaller and thus harder to see in the dark, while swords are long and hard to miss due to their metallic nature. Unless you have a ceramic sword, though a white one would still be visible in the dark.

And yet we still have criminals with guns here... but often the people who turn to crimes are those who had guns as lawful owners. You'll never eliminate them all, but you'll get rid of a hell of a lot of them and that reduces the 'crime of the moment' issues that appear.

No, dude. A lot of Aussies had guns before the law went into effect and even though some criminals still get their hands on them, they don't wave them around as though they have a right to them... because they're against the law. If you have a gun and it's not against the law, you can walk around with it. If you have one and it is against the law, you make sure to take it only when you've something serious going on. You're not going to walk down the street with a pistol in your coat if it means that you'll go straight to jail.

Seriously, Australia isn't the only country that went through with the change - every country that has has cited a lot less mass shootings and crazy shit going down. No more neighbourhood shoot-ups. No more kids walking into school with their parents' arsenal. No more cops feeling afraid of the general populace.

It stops.

I can't remember the last time I locked my doors. Seriously. I can't. I don't fear anyone with a gun creeping in in the middle of the night. I feel perfectly safe with a baseball bat 'just in case' because guns? I don't have to worry about them. They're a non-entity on my radar. I know that there are some out there who have them, but I'm not afraid that the guy next door has one, or that the cops are going to pull a piece on me and shoot me if I approach them for a traffic violation or that some random guy is just gonna up and shoot me for no fucking reason or that my niece will ever have to go through a metal detector at her school for fear of some kid going mental with his daddy's gun. I have no fear of that weapon at all.

And I have equal footing if someone comes at me with a knife.

How did we make that problem disappear? By cutting down on who could buy them and who could sell them. By cutting down on the types of guns that came in. By stamping down on those who were found with guns. By focussing our intent on stopping that shit instead of putting the heel to the populace. A lot of money that went in to tracking sales and purchases of guns and the like instead went into finding illegal caches and keeping an eye on those groups most likely to carry them.

Sure, some still get their hands on guns but by limiting the amount of guns that could be sold and their availability, it's only the bad guys that have the guns and if you're caught with one, you're the bad guy. No having to check to make sure that you're not a random citizen who's borrowed a cousin's gun.

The line is drawn pretty clearly. You have this gun? It's illegal so you're going to jail. Good bye.
Liberty, your opinion as an Aussie is welcome of course, but without knowing the context of firearms in America, especially compared to other countries with firearms as well (Switzerland, Isreal, Finland I think?), your ideals/opinions are fundamentally flawed. It's easy to go "NO GUNS!!!" but the actual issue, and any possible solution, is far more complicated than that.

author=Liberty
Except video games don't kill people. Guns do. They... they literally do. You'd have to work really hard to make a disc kill a person in any way. Gun? Trigger is pulled.

All a gun exists for is killing. If everyone was denied guns then they'd have to resort to more rudimentary and less-easy ways of killing instead - more deliberate ways. And there wouldn't be tales of kids shooting themselves when they found their parent's guns. Or the dog shooting it's owner because of a gun - yes, that happened. That's how easily guns streamline the killing process.

Gun? Drive by and shoot. No mess, no fuss.
Other weapons? A chance for the victim to fight back in some way, shape or form.

Honestly, the numbers say it all. Until America loses their guns, I'm just gonna do what I always do when I hear of a school shooting and the like - shake my head and say 'it could have been avoided' and blame the average American asshole who won't give up their easy-kill weaponry to save innocent lives.

America: Land of the "Oh the humanity! Why doesn't someone stop all this violence? YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY GUNS!!!"

The only thing about this is that America isn't the only country that lets citizens own firearms, though. I'm pretty sure Switzerland has like two guns for every citizen or something like that?

The problem is beyond guns; it's the culture. The genie on the bottle of gun control in America has long escaped; there are so many guns that it would be literally impossible to track them all down and turn them in, and the country would probably tear itself apart through civil war trying.

Instead, we need to deal with what we have and learn to emulate like the countries that do have legal firearms and go from there.
LockeZ
author=Liberty
it's only the bad guys that have the guns
This is the whole problem that people worry about, it's definitely not a selling point.
nhubi
Lockez, when the gun laws changed in 1996 and again in 2002 the government instituted a mandatory buyback scheme (there is a section in the Australia Constitution which states that the government cannot take of property without just compensation), and then threw all the confiscated weapons into compactors. Liberty's point also adds to that, in the US and other countries with less gun control laws, owning and wearing a gun is legal so a cop walking past isn't going to be able to pull you over and ask you about it. In Australia you can't so if a cop (or indeed anyone else) see one in your hand or your belt or in a gun case there is going to be a consequence. When you do then interact with the police the gun will be taken away (and you'll be charged) to be destroyed.

To give you a personal example I was walking along the street one day carrying a banner bag (for a pull up promotional banner), it's long and thin and black and could easily be mistaken for a rifle case, and a cop car drove past. The car stopped the cops, both, got out and asked me what I was carrying, neither btw put their hands on the gun at their belt whilst doing so. I said, honestly it was a promo banner and he asked, politely if he could see it, which I of course complied with. If there had been a rifle in there it would have been confiscated and I would have had to have a damn fine reason for carrying it on a public street in an unlocked carry bag. Even if I had a licence for it, since concealed weapons are also illegal in Australia.

Also given the tyranny of distance whilst there are of course black market guns in Australia they are fairly expensive and difficult to obtain, and for those cases where someone who has got it legally then goes and uses it illegally it's a registered gun so tracing it back is hardly difficult. Also not reporting a stolen gun is a very heftily fined offence.

author=Sated
I wonder what's easier. Causing a cultural shift or taking away the guns?

64K question. Because in those countries that do have high gun ownership such as Israel and Switzerland they also have either compulsory military service where you learn how to use one with restraint and care for the responsibility of it and also can't actually take any ammo home, though you do have to have the gun there, or have mandatory training required with gun purchase and continued licensing.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Liberty
Except video games don't kill people. Guns do. They... they literally do. You'd have to work really hard to make a disc kill a person in any way. Gun? Trigger is pulled.

All a gun exists for is killing. If everyone was denied guns then they'd have to resort to more rudimentary and less-easy ways of killing instead - more deliberate ways. And there wouldn't be tales of kids shooting themselves when they found their parent's guns. Or the dog shooting it's owner because of a gun - yes, that happened. That's how easily guns streamline the killing process.

Other weapons? A chance for the victim to fight back in some way, shape or form.

Honestly, the numbers say it all. Until America loses their guns, I'm just gonna do what I always do when I hear of a school shooting and the like - shake my head and say 'it could have been avoided' and blame the average American asshole who won't give up their easy-kill weaponry to save innocent lives.

America: Land of the "Oh the humanity! Why doesn't someone stop all this violence? YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY GUNS!!!"
The only thing about this is that America isn't the only country that lets citizens own firearms, though. I'm pretty sure Switzerland has like two guns for every citizen or something like that?

The problem is beyond guns; it's the culture. The genie on the bottle of gun control in America has long escaped; there are so many guns that it would be literally impossible to track them all down and turn them in, and the country would probably tear itself apart through civil war trying.

Instead, we need to deal with what we have and learn to emulate like the countries that do have legal firearms and go from there.

One of things that concerns me about the American gun culture is how many people seem to confuse their power fantasies with reality. Like they are just daring someone to break into their or house or the Government to come or something.
author=LockeZ
author=Liberty
it's only the bad guys that have the guns
This is the whole problem that people worry about, it's definitely not a selling point.

Except, as I pointed out before, for all that only the bad people (and cops, and military, and some people who have licences for certain types and good reason) have guns, there were only 7 gun-related crimes last year. And one this year so far.

I'd say it was fairly successful. If the bad guys are too scared to use the guns for fear of being put away, well then. It works.
author=Sated
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Liberty

I wonder what's easier. Causing a cultural shift or taking away the guns?

I am certainly fucking certain that there are millions of Americans who would literally rather start the Second Civil War than have the government forcibly take their guns.

No thanks.