WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
Hmm I wonder if having a no lynch night one would help at all with stuff like this. Tho if you're getting killed by scum that doesn't help at all.

Anyway Piano I'm sorry to hear that you don't get to stay in long enough to enjoy the game, that would definitely make me want to stop playing after a while.
I myself don't know what was I think right now.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
It's probably speaks sad volumes that the most fun I had in a mafia game was the Death Note one with the self-sacrifice role that I used Night 1. My actual win condition in that game might have been something else, but, my personal win condition was to use that ability.

Of course, having loss conditions that are personal win conditions have entered into a number of my commander decks in Magic: The Gathering. I mean, I'm the kind of crazy that activates a Door of Nothingness on themselves in response to any given attack, not to mention a Triad of the Fates deck that runs Near-Death Experience as a legitimate threat.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Mafia is a single-elimination PVP game. Someone has to die first. That's just the game. It's fine.

(I say this, having just died first.)

Dying isn't "not playing the game." Dying is part of how you play. A HUGE part. Dying doesn't make you a bad player, as should be obvious I thought by the fact that you can still win if you die. In a lot of situations, if you're good, you're supposed to die. That's how Mafia works.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I had dying first down to an art form, once.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LockeZ
Mafia is a single-elimination PVP game. Someone has to die first. That's just the game. It's fine.

(I say this, having just died first.)

Dying isn't "not playing the game." Dying is part of how you play. A HUGE part. Dying doesn't make you a bad player, as should be obvious I thought by the fact that you can still win if you die. In a lot of situations, if you're good, you're supposed to die. That's how Mafia works.

Great, now let's kill you first every game, not because of anything that's actually happening in game, but because someone offs you because he or she is scared of the experienced players. Now, a lot of inexperienced players do that and stop doing it when they realize it's a dick move. But there are some that just have zero fucks to give and have no issue with what people think about them doing that bullshit. That is not a balanced mechanic of gameplay, and if you think dead is how the game is supposed to be played, then stop signing up and just spectate.

Dudesoft
I had dying first down to an art form, once.

Wow, I notice you don't play anymore, either. You must not be having fun anymore. You know who else doesn't have fun playing mafia, anymore? Jeroen_Sol. I wonder why?

Because constantly being targeted on night 1 is how the game's supposed to be played.
@Dudes You've been usurped I'm afraid!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
#lynch Dudesoft
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That's just how all free-for-all and arena-battle PVP games work dude. Whoever's viewed as most dangerous gets ganged up on and targeted first. It's called strategy.

It sounds like maybe you just dislike the entire concept of elimination PVP games. If so, that's fine. You don't have to like every type of game. But don't take it personally or blame it on the other people playing.

You are the one who caused yourself to be viewed as dangerous. Mafia is a game about affecting how people view you. The sole goal of the game is to convince people who to kick out of the game. If you were talking about being consistently ganged up on in, say, a Smash Bros. tournament, then maybe you'd have a leg to stand on, but in Mafia, the stuff that you're complaining about is literally the entire game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
No, no, no, no. Being able to defend yourself is one thing, but this isn't a PVP free for all type game. If you think that it is, I seriously question what I thought you knew about games. You are not in a free for all in Mafia. You are in a fucking team. That's not a free for all. The only difference being in a team on Mafia as opposed to other games is that you don't know who your team mates are. To have a game where there's people acting like Hexatona--"Dude! This guy is totally a great player so let's lynch him because he might be the bad guy."--and everyone's saying "Yeah!" That's not strategy. That's just people being meta assholes. That's called "Meta". "Meta" is not something that is welcome in Mafia.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I know that the majority of people in this discussion are either not playing the current mafia game or dead, but I still think it's better to have the discussion either after this mafia game or in a place where players can't get to. Many of us dislike meta, so let's not try to openly have a discussion out of thread that could influence living players.

That being said:
author=pianotm
You know who else doesn't have fun playing mafia, anymore? Jeroen_Sol. I wonder why?

That actually had nothing to do with dying early. I'm pretty sure I've died early as many times as I've died mid-game and as many times as I've died late/survived. I just found out I liked hosting/spectating much better than playing due to the lack of pressure that comes with being invested in the outcome of the game. Besides, as the ghost of mafia past I can still help hosts out with their setups and talk to them behind the scenes as the game is going on, which is three quarters of the fun, haha.
Man, the current mafia is hilarious right now to the point I wish I could post something in it. Now to ease off the topic as jeroen suggested.

I'm debating if I feel like finishing up my console game or not. On one hand I'm a good part, but on another I have a hard boss coming up which causes me to switch out my party to a situational one. Not sure if I feel like doing all that party management right now.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Morrowind

I'm not done yet, but I'm getting close.
Get yourself a high-res texture pack and the MGE!
I forgot how much I liked my Meek sunglasses avi~<3
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Meek sunglasses is best
LockeZ
author=pianotm
"Meta" is not something that is welcome in Mafia.
Isn't the entire gameplay of mafia meta? It's sort of a game about deciding who gets to play the game. I mean I guess it's not as meta as, like, Nomic. Nothing probably is as meta as Nomic, though. Last time we had a game of Nomic I won three times before signups started.

I do agree that "lynch people on day 1 because they're good" is a bad strategy, though. I lynch people on day 1 because they're bad.

(Please don't start another game of Nomic. The problem with Nomic is that it never ends.)
ESBY
extreme disappointment
things heating up in the mafia community
I can understand what piano means about being lynched first day because you're a good player being annoying. It is, I will grant you that. However, it is a words game. An arguments game. It's up to you to use the first day to argue for someone else or no-one else to be lynched. It's up to you to point out why keeping stronger players for town is a better idea than throwing them away before the night even begins. It's up to the individual player to go "Hey! You can't get rid of me because this is gonna be a problem for town in the long run! You should, instead, get rid of this person or that person!"

And you all wonder why I don't do the 'first day, lynch' thing? Because it's a waaaaaste of player potential and numbers. Gonna have a dead body come morning anyway, might as well not try to off one of the good players/power users on first day. ;p

it's an arguments game, but also a numbers game. make it work~*

*I may be watching too much Project Runway whilst ill.
LockeZ
leaving people alive is a waste of potential suffering