WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've never made a bad-faith argument in my life. If I asked you a question, it was because I was curious what the answer was.
I'm thinking about why you guys are fighting over a situation that concerns neither of you three directly. And why I stepped right up, knowing fully that you'll just shoot me down. I don't care. Go ahead and shoot me.

But really guys, you're going to get this thread locked if you continue.
Please calm down.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=karins_soulkeeper
Please calm down.

Nah, spurts of drama has happened in this thread before, and it's never been shut down. This topic has too much of a legacy to get shut down. :P
it certainly concerns me. I understand your viewpoint, but please don't think I'll go down to the wire like this over something that doesn't have significance to me.
author=mawk
it certainly concerns me. I understand your viewpoint, but don't think I'll go down to the wire like this over something that doesn't have personal significance.
Oh? Sorry Mawk, I didn't know.
Sorry again if I sounded wrong or anything.
It's just that I don't like seeing people fighting :)

author=Ratty524
author=karins_soulkeeper
Please calm down.
Nah, spurts of drama has happened in this thread before, and it's never been shut down. This topic has too much of a legacy to get shut down. :P
Really? *checks* *eyes widen* *spending next few hours reading from page one*
it's alright! the number of things that concern me is ridiculous.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Pianotm might have been fighting for a post or two I guess? I'm just having what I think is an interesting debate about current events. Mawk keeps being mawk though.

This got buried under an edit on the previous page:
author=LockeZ
what you said makes sense, about spending a tiny amount of effort to not offend people. Just apologizing afterward is almost always enough, really, you don't actually have to filter yourself that carefully. That's assuming I care about the emotions of strangers though. I usually don't. If my personal wellbeing doesn't depend on someone's opinion of me, then I only care about teaching them what I believe is true, not about making their day pleasant. Truth before feelings. So I'll actually try to filter what I say, but if they come back and tell me I accidentally offended them, I'll usually get in an argument about it.

I know you're the same way sometimes regarding telling people what you believe to actually be true rather than what will prevent them from getting offended/upset, because you've said so very clearly before in IRC... and also because you're having this debate right now instead of filtering your thoughts to keep yourself from offending RMN users. I wonder what about this particular situation with JonTron is different, or if you just decided to take the opposite viewpoint this time because no one else had yet? I wouldn't hate you if so, because it's an interesting debate, I would just expect to see you on the other side of it. Fighting against protecting the feelings, in favor of speaking the truth.
brother, there's a world of difference between being upset at someone because they disagree with you, and being upset at someone because they insist on reinforcing the way society reduces you to a faceless burden and a punchline, to be dismissed, demeaned, or eradicated.

before you start pretending to yourself that I only care about this to be argumentative, that I don't really give a shit, think about why that's convenient to you. think about why, now, you fall back on the 'it's mawk being mawk, mawk is never serious about anything' card.

and finally, there's no 'truth' in a slur itself. the harm caused is 'true', and the feelings of those who were hurt are 'true', and they should be respected over some solipsistic dictionary-thumping disaffected nerdboy's personal ego. you remember what I said about nerds pretending they were the objective party? because brother, you're dripping with it right now.
It's just that you stick to your first argument, mawk, and try to lead all generated related discussion into that one point. Which works for you, because the initial point was rather plain easy to see, but does not work for the others, as they are stating something unrelated to the exact starting point, but related issues instead. It's fine to get off track a little bit during discussion.

Anyways, I believe that when you talk about not using slurs to dehumanize and belittle mentally disabled people, you also need to refer to the simple fact that this mental ability is not all that makes people worthwhile.
Just as being a genius doesn't make you a great person, being disabled doesn't hinder you from being a great person.

Instead of arguing over titles and adjectives, how about agreeing on not basing the worth of a human on one or two traits alone? The insult is not that they are "dumber" than someone else, but that they are treated as less than "normal" people because of it.

Arguing for the sake of arguing may be fun on some level, but is destructive rather than constructive.
You're getting nowhere, and that's exhausting.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
These last few pages have been a crock-o'-mawk.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
My friend posted my GISHWHES space bike entry on reddit Photoshop battles... Looking good so far. (That's my room mate's cat)
moon warrior is my favorite so far
Good to know that I can still shit up topics like the good old days.

I was thinking about doing something in VX Ace, but realistically there's no fucking point in it at this stage- it's what? A month and a half before I move to Toronto and go to college? May as well just leave everything till we start learning some shit in the Gam Mak program.

I may as well just focus all my makking time back into Neo Lescia and our other commercial/team endeavors. That collection of gam projects is practically one of the only things that I really, genuinely give a shit about anymore anyways. Pretty much focus all my love into those games, which is healthy since it doesn't and probably won't ever have another outlet.

We're all just a big fuckin' happy family over here.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Pizza, let me know when you move here! We can go see a movie or something. It can be real internet meeting IRL awkward fun.
Pizza's current avatar is the most delicious-looking one yet.

Dammit I just ate half an hour ago and now I'm hungry again.

Edit: Aw come on he changed it RIGHT AFTER I POSTED THIS
author=Dudesoft
Pizza, let me know when you move here! We can go see a movie or something. It can be real internet meeting IRL awkward fun.

You know I`m always down for RMN meet IRL awkward fun.

author=wildwes
Pizza's current avatar is the most delicious-looking one yet.

Dammit I just ate half an hour ago and now I'm hungry again.

Edit: Aw come on he changed it RIGHT AFTER I POSTED THIS

My devious rotating pizza avatar is working just as I thought it would- EACH PIZZA, MORE DELICIOUS THAN THE LAST
I'm thinking that if a man has twelve dollars and gets twelve more dollars. How the heck does he end up with thirty-two dollars?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=mawk
that's the big point I want you guys to think on, from somebody who's affected by this and similar things more than you might think. nerds have made it their thing to pretend that they're the objective party in all situations, and get colicky when something challenges that. instead of pretending that this is a thing of nameless, faceless masses deadset on the downfall of a poor, beloved media icon, try asking whether you have any reason at all to put yourself forward as an authority -- and examining why your first instinct is to dismiss the actual feelings and motivations of the speakers in favour of a convenient caricature.
What are "nerds"? A particular race of people? This entire thread? Why is it okay to generalise people who generalise? While I'm sorry you're personally affected by this type of thing, why do you think you have the authority to tell an entire thread what to do? How do you know we haven't had similar experiences?

The last person who did this sort of thing posted a link to Racism 101 in a thread full of "PoCs" (a term I still find offensive, by the way).

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=MajoracanKing
I'm thinking that if a man has twelve dollars and gets twelve more dollars. How the heck does he end up with thirty-two dollars?
$1x10
$5x2
author=Yellow Magic
author=mawk
that's the big point I want you guys to think on, from somebody who's affected by this and similar things more than you might think. nerds have made it their thing to pretend that they're the objective party in all situations, and get colicky when something challenges that. instead of pretending that this is a thing of nameless, faceless masses deadset on the downfall of a poor, beloved media icon, try asking whether you have any reason at all to put yourself forward as an authority -- and examining why your first instinct is to dismiss the actual feelings and motivations of the speakers in favour of a convenient caricature.
What are "nerds"? A particular race of people? This entire thread? Why is it okay to generalise people who generalise? While I'm sorry you're personally affected by this type of thing, why do you think you have the authority to tell an entire thread what to do?

The last person who did this sort of thing posted a link to Racism 101 in a thread full of "PoCs" (a term I still find offensive, by the way).

1. Nerds are candy.
2. He has the authority because, despite his obvious shortcomings in proper face-to-face social interaction (who else could be this conceited without also being a shut-in?), he always has a thesaurus on hand to give him the edge over those who use more "everyday" speak. Also, there's abundant evidence of disappearing and reappearing strictly for exchanges such as these to show that he's got to be trolling (the equivalent of a sentient tinderbox), which means he has every right to throw his weight around.