CIRCUMCISION: GOOD OR BAD?

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hello RMXP Unlimited,

The controversial topic of male circumcision is quite popular across the Internet, with both sides hitting each other back and forth in a never-ending frenzy. I am curious to ask what is your stance on circumcision? Especially if you are a parent or expecting a newborn?

People who support circumcision often say that this process helps to bring a male offspring closer to their religious deity (very popular in the Middle Eastern religions), makes it easier to clean around the shaft, and overall reduces the likelihood of getting certain diseases.

Opponents of circumcision, however, argue that such a surgical procedure is immoral (due to the fact that the newborn cannot think for himself, leaving the decision up to his parents) because a "part" of the penis has been artificially-removed, thus decreasing the sensitivity of the reproductive organ. They also argue that with or without circumcision the risk of catching certain illnesses is not really significant either way.

What do you think? Should doctors continue to circumcise more newborns or not? And why?

Discuss.
well, an uncircumcised penis leaves a much greater risk for infection. Lets be honest, who wants a diseased penis.

EDIT: This link should answer any and all questions one may have.

http://www.medicinenet.com/circumcision_the_medical_pros_and_cons/article.htm
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
this is seriously a topic seriously?
lol thats what i was thinking.....but I decided to reply anyway.
My favorite part was where this topic was pasted from a post on another forum.

NEED LARGER SAMPLE!
author=Max McGee
this is seriously a topic seriously?

This, so much.

author=Allen Hunter
Opponents of circumcision, however, argue that such a surgical procedure is immoral (due to the fact that the newborn cannot think for himself, leaving the decision up to his parents)

Not that I really have a stance on the matter because, well, quite frankly I don't give a shit what happens with other peoples penises and I would be extremely surprised if this topic really was discussed frequently. However, I wanted to quote this particular part to throw in that parents are SUPPOSED to make decisions for their children. Like, that's a key component to their job. Any parent that deserves to be called a parent will make decisions for their child completely geared towards the child's best interest. There is nothing immoral about doing what you think is right for your child. Now whether or not, circumsion IS the right thing to do, is something I'm staying out of. But the whole PARENTS ARE IMMORAL BECAUSE THEY'RE MAKING DECISIONS FOR THEIR CHILD argument is absolute garbage.
It's a relic. We shouldn't be doing it anymore.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Jude
It's a relic. We shouldn't be doing it anymore.

I think Jude is spot on.
Jude is not quite spot on. If we don't circumcise our kids, they are at a great risk for infection. Like UTI, gonorrhea, inflamed urethra's (that tube inside the penis that transfers urine) and many more. When a male is not circumcised you can get really nasty growths under the skin (which wont be there if one is circumcised.) Its a much more tedious and difficult task to handle such issues if not circumcised. Not bashing you for what you believe, but really. Its much better (health wise) to get circumcised.
Yeah, this is a weird topic.

I think they should continue with circumcision. It's really tedious to have to pull back a flap when you pee or...do other things, and the fact that it reduces the likelihood for a diseased penis makes it even more appealling. I'm honestly interested why Jude and Chana think otherwise. I deleted like half my post because it sounded weird. What a strange topic!
I'm circumcised and have too much sensitivity as it is. I can't imagine what it would be like uncircumcised. You'd probably have to be careful with the way you walk.
This whole debate is pointless. Each side is just trying to justify their parent's decision regarding their foreskin. Also each side has absolutely no idea what its like to be on the opposing side and they never will. Still, for some reason hearing this debate always frustrates the hell out of me and it takes all of my willpower not join in.

I'll say this much. Cleaning your penis on a semi-regular basis will prevent most health issues and it is not difficult to do.

Dammit! Oh well, maybe I'll make my will save next time.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Bah, humbug.
Like physhal said, clean your dick on semi-regular basis and use a condom in order to prevent gonorrhea and such stuff. Especially I should use one later, because I'm fairly sure that people don't want me to pass on my mentally disturbing douchebag's genes. But on other hand I hate children and never would have some, STDs don't sound that nice as well.

But personally, I have nothing against circumcision. Sure, go have your penis clip'd if you want it to look bigger.
I am a circumcised male...and I wish that I wasn't.

In the least I wish that it had been a decision for me to make for myself, rather than something that was forced upon me when I was an infant on account of religious beliefs or the social norm of my birth country (Canada).

And while I can see the point that many raise about sanitary issues, consider for a moment that while circumcision is the norm in North America there are parts of Europe where it is quite rare. I haven't read any articles lately about an epidemic of dirty slongs, have you?

More to the point, there are consequences. The portion of the penis that is cut off during circumcision is there for a reason: to lubricate for sex. Removing it makes sex less enjoyable, for some in a very tangible way. Point in case, my member is sometimes not very sensitive at all. Sex still feels great of course, but there have been times where I haven't been able to finish on account of my not feeling very much.

This is a comparison that's bound to incite some people, but think of it this way. We find the practice of female circumcision (the removal of the clitoris) to be horrific, and for good reason. It mutilates women and makes it difficult (and even impossible) for them to enjoy sex. What is the essential difference between that and male circumcision? You're still cutting off a piece of the penis. You're usually doing it to someone (a baby) that can't defend themselves. The only contrast is that male circumcision carries less dire consequences then female circumcision.

I am not saying they are the same thing. I am saying there are similarities at least, though. The biggest difference is that male circumcision is seen by more people as acceptable. In the least, I think it should be reserved as a choice for a man to make when they're older and able to to make their own decisions.

Yes, it's more painful then, but no one ever said choice was painless.
This topic is getting way too personal for an RPG community. I just skimmed over it and I already know too many people with a sensitive penis.
author=NewBlack
My favorite part was where this topic was pasted from a post on another forum.

^
Having a vagina is wonderful. Did you know they're for the most part self cleaning?

On a more serious note, I'm pretty sure it's more of a morality issue. The idea of performing surgery on a defenseless kid without putting them out or asking if they even want it is sort of grey area to me.

On another less serious and more amused note, I still don't get why people ask these kinds of questions in RPG maker communities, but it never fails to offer up hilarious gems such as: "Lets be honest, who wants a diseased penis"
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm expecting a mod to close this topic before it gets stupid.

I guess you could call it... cutting it off at the head. B-) YEEEEAAAAAHHHHH.
thanks for making RMN a better place

edit: actually some of the replies make me doubt some of you... in general
I don't see how this topic is more controversial then politics. It's just penises. (never thought I'd have to pluralize that word, ha)
Pages: first 1234 next last