HOW MANY MAPS DO I NEED FOR A AVERAGE DEMO?

Pages: 1
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
I was just wondering that, because I only think of maybe 30 or so maps. Before releasing anything. For example, Dreamwalker is in Acts, per say, it would be a full game, rather then a demo, but I only got 63 maps, but even so it looked like I already started, it's only earlier in the game.
It depends on how much your demo has to offer. No. of maps is irregardless...

You can maybe release a small portion of the game as a trial demo or something.

But if you ask me, an average demo should probably be at least 3 hours long bare minimum.

Really, releasing a demo depends on what you think is enough to please the audience into subscribing your game.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A true demo is probably only about twenty minutes to an hour long. The goal is just to show the player what the game will be like. A typical RPG demo goes through one dungeon, or sometimes one town and one dungeon.

If your demo isn't really a demo but just an unfinished alpha release, as a lot of so-called "demos" for indie games are, then uh, whatever. Any amount is fine I guess in that case. Release when you're at a point where you want feedback.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Yeah, what Lockez said.
Don't make a checklist to qualify yourself ready for a demo release if you're just bastardizing the process.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Thanks, though the first act of the game, will be more story related inside the city, as I basically haven't gotten the point of leading itself out in the world map yet. Until then, I take your advice at heart.

Yeah, I did release a Kingdom Frontiers demo with only the arena part, it was basically a Prologue of some sorts, so I can see what I can do until then, and heavily work on it though the weekend and properly do it like KF.
I still think it depends on both the number of maps and the events included on them (which also lengthens the time on gameplay). I remember playing an old german rpg maker game where everything happened on just 3 maps alone.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
First act is just the city the second is act when you leave it.

I would rather do full acts for games, it's best to make them full just to get though the first part of the storyline rather then a demo, but that's just me talking. I've barely even moved past the beginning of the game, seeing as I get busy with work.
Depending on how your game is built, one map might be enough. Especially if all you want to do is show off some quick dialog and have a battle.

benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Yeah, what I did with Kingdom Frontiers, though there were like more then 2 battles, then it would end the demo....
Well Princess Princess had 10 maps and was an hour long. You don't really need much maps to make a demo but it's rather the pacing that makes it feel like a "demo?"
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Maps do not equal play time. It's that simple. You can have a 5 map game that several hours long. I'd be aiming for about half an hour of system demonstrations before releasing a 'demo'. (that is, YOUR half an hour). Depending on the player they may do it faster, or more likely, a lot slower. So, decide what you want to show potential players, and work from there.

edit: though you should always be aiming to make a full game and not worrying about demos- cutting out a piece of the game to demonstrate systems/tidbits of the story should be enough.
Pages: 1