INTERRACIAL RELATIONS

Pages: first 12345 next last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
We were talking about Fresh Prince of Bel-Air the other day on irc briefly. I used to love that show. My dad hated it. So did my omi (german grandma). They're racist though, against all races, so that's understandable. My irish grandparents are racist too (though more towards the Italians).
Anyway, my sister married a french guy. I thought she was giving my dad a finger, until I met my now Brother-in-Law. He's an amazing guy. I'm glad we're legally family now! One last thing: I grew up in the country, and a small town at various points. 99% everyone was white.
So, did it rub off? I'd like to think not: however when seeing an asian girl and a white dude or a white girl and a black guy or a black girl and asian dude, etc. i don't see 'a guy and a gal' right away. There's still that dumb stigma. Imho it is a dumb thing to see; but there it is!
That said, I have no aversion to it, nor other races. (If I did, I'd have a REALLY hard time working at the Toronto Airport!)
Meanwhile, I KNOW people who are explosively angry at the very notion. My own dad has on countless occasions said, 'If she goes black we don't want her back'. He's from a different, dying era, but still! That's pretty f***ing harsh.

What are your thoughts? Got something to say?
Let's avoid trolling and be serious on this one. I'm curious where you all stand on interaccial relations.
I say there's nothing wrong with it (obviously). Older people tend to be like that because of their time period but geez, he said they'd disown her? My parents aren't like that though, thank god. Otherwise my best friend in the world would probably be my worst enemy. I see interracial relationships all the time in my day to day life and am a little luckier than you when I see an interracial couple. My generation finds it a very very bad thing to be racist. Though, they're sometimes a little over the top with it when they call something racist that clearly isn't. I.E.: I describe someone as being tall and black who frequents the gym. "Dude, stop being racist!" is one response. And I wonder why since he really is tall and black. Just describing someone as black gets me called racist, well not it's not a serious accusation but they do really annoy me with that crap. Props to them every time I say it's just what he is: "You wouldn't call another dude who's white 'tall and white'" which is most definitely true, and a habit I've been trying to get into lately.

Anyway, I'm all for it! (Erf, rambling...)
I'm a minority and I've been all around the rainbow with girls. Being an American the stigma is still 'get yer hands off our white women' so I get that sometimes, but I don't care. Being a mix of a bunch of races myself, interracial relationships don't bother me at all.
Most of the racism died off in my grandparent's generation, and I personally don't care about inter-racial relations. I mean, a man is a man and a woman is still a woman, right? Although, I will admit I am attracted more to certain types of girls, but everyone has a preference.

Basically, it is a outdated ideal. It does not matter what it is. Let people do as they want, and do as you like, that is the true American way.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
Being mixed, I don't have a problem with it. Many of my relatives and family friends are in interracial relationships too.

(as if anyone could say "I'm against it" without inciting a shitstorm in this topic :p)
Some of my friends are within interracial relationships. I really hate the fact that certain humans still have this need for racial "purity"... As if by marrying someone of a different race, you are tainting your bloodline and spelling out doom for your children. -_-

It's rather ironically...and sadly...funny as well, because even science says that children of two races are more likely to have better genes and less physical problems than children of a single race. Where's this "racial purity is better!" thing now, hmm?
Dudesoft
I should add that this topic came to be because a black woman's blog I stumbled over has the same issue as I do: Not having an issue but still SEEing it. Maybe this is a nurture arguement, because yeah the world today is not black and white, it's a hodgepodge of races, especially in Toronto here. But, maybe growing up surrounded by negative people made it stick in the back of my brain?
Does anyone else have stubborn ignorant parents, or met someone who was really rude?

Awww, why did you erase the second part? I thought it was interesting, Dudesoft.

I've met alot of rude people, I'm sure alot of other people have too. Though, alot of people who aren't actually rude could seem to be under the right conditions I suppose.
Oblic
Once a member of RMN, always a member of RMN!
Unfortunately, I still notice interracial relationships, but I don't think anything of it. It's kind of one of those knee jerk reactions. In my head I think, "well that's different," but that's about it. I wish I could say I am above that, but I am clearly not.

Really, I could care less. Happiness is really all that matters in a relationship. If both parties are happy, leave it alone.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
it was pretty terrible really - i'm still freaking out a little. racism is pure ignorance. though i think the reason i took it so badly is that i have to both continue seeing these people and be polite and respectful towards their ideals; which are total opposites to mine!

In hindsight, to speak out against racism is to accept and acknowledge that everyone is different in their own way and that everyone has a right to be different; your situation isn't any different when it's considered like so. Props to you for acknowledging and respecting their beliefs and ideals, even if they might run counter to your own!

As for the subject on interracial relationships, why and how does it even matter? We're all homo sapiens, what more is there to it? Besides, I recall reading somewhere that we may have even slightly cross-bred with neanderthals when they were still around.

Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Nothing wrong with this IMO.

I haven't really seen interracial relationships around here, though, but neither I have met jerks who are against it around here (except for those fanatics that are against everything else than themselves)
author=KingArthur
Props to you for acknowledging and respecting their beliefs and ideals, even if they might run counter to your own!
well to be honest, that's not really it. racism isn't acceptable and i wouldn't like to think of myself just sitting by while someone shouts racist slurs at someone for example. but in this case...i guess i don't think responding to it will change anything, they seem set in their ways. even though i said i have to be respectful, i was finding it very hard!
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I love it, otherwise I couldnt be the pervert I am now.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Oblic
Unfortunately, I still notice interracial relationships

they are never going to not be noticed, because they exist and you can see them

saying stuff like "eventually it won't matter if you're gay or you have fifty tattoos or you're in an interracial union" (not that you said this, just making a point) is stupid and arrogant, like... yes, it will still matter. the gay dude is still going to be looking for dudes who like dudes, the girl with the dragon tattoo is still going to stick out in a "normal" (lol) crowd, people will notice an asian man dating a black woman - and all of this is IMPORTANT because it is an aspect of that person's life!

the important thing is that beyond noticing it, it's not applauded or attacked. Going WHOOO YOU ARE A FAG GOGOGO TEAM PFLAG RAINBOW STREAMERS is as annoying and dehumanizing as OMG LOOK FELDSPLAT IS ALL OVER OUR WHITE GURLZ, GO LYNCH HIM, but noticing it simply means that you are a human being who identifies patterns

so... yeah. my stance should be pretty obvious, haha
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I definitely notice it, with pleasure, I think : aah, racism is taking a step back.
Dudesoft
Hahaha good point, Craze.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
It's ok, i give mog permission to take all the white womenz.
I'm Asian and my ex-boyfriend was White, so I have nothing against it. I did notice people stared at us more than the Asian/Asian couples. My parents were somewhat against it though. They're even against me dating Asians that aren't from the same country originally. I don't let any of that control me though, thankfully!
Being that my wife is the only white girl I ever dated, I'd have to say to me it's not a big deal, ha. I don't see any problem with interracial couples at all, I hardly notice it. The only time I really notice things are when it's two people from different social circles, which I notice even in same race couples. A cracked out, thug-life guy and a pretty, well adjusted girl (or vice-versa), regardless of race, will always catch my eye. (Working in customer service, I see this all the time).
Pages: first 12345 next last