RPG MAKER 2000/2003 GAMES ON ANDROID

Hey...I could test the thing, I have a galaxy tab. I'm more than happy to test and even develop if you guys still need contributors, as this was something I was planning to accomplish in the future.

Thanks a lot....
After lots of months and no replies, I'm back with this. I'm so sorry with the huge delay. Having lesser spare time did the most, but a project cleanup was needed too.

We have released new EasyRPG Player releases and most work from my part have been with the UNIX building compatibility, this includes cross platform building improvements and bugfixes. This is a prerequisite to make a cleaner building process for the Android port, which it is a mess by design.

I've got a tablet (well, from my girlfriend) with Android 3.2, Tegra 2 dual core for testing and a very better machine for testing and debugging with 8x more RAM, so I can speed up the whole thing. I'll keep you updated with this. Thank you for your support and let's do this great.
RPG Maker games on the bus? Could be interesting. Glad to see there's an update =)
I'm could test it. I have a Nexus 7 2013. I am really interested in this project!
Small update: Rikku2000 is currently porting Player to Android, he already ported another app and for other devices, so has some experience with this. Maybe this week we can have the port working.
Well, I tried some work on building easyrpg on android myself, but I'm waaay to noob when it comes to android coding.
BTW It's nice to see that the android port is not dead!
I'm looking forward to test it! :D
Hi! :D
I am very interested in this project, and I would like to help... I have a Galaxy S4 and an Asus Transformer Prime... I would be very happy to be a beta tester and help you if needed...

I hope the project goes well and that there will be soon good news... :)
author=fdelapena
After lots of months and no replies, I'm back with this. I'm so sorry with the huge delay. Having lesser spare time did the most, but a project cleanup was needed too.

We have released new EasyRPG Player releases and most work from my part have been with the UNIX building compatibility, this includes cross platform building improvements and bugfixes. This is a prerequisite to make a cleaner building process for the Android port, which it is a mess by design.

Hi, i am really intrested in testing this emulator and give a report on how it works. Imhave currently tested 2 others but they could only take a few games and the other one was in japanese. If the final version of this is going to get popular i suggest it would be in english. Anyways as i said i am willing to test this and i am so pumped about it, by the way i am using galaxy tab 2 10.1 w/ android 4.1.2
This project is the only reason i created this profile.

Thanks...
Hi, i am really intrested in testing this emulator port and give a report on how it works. Imhave currently tested 2 others but they could only take a few games and the other one was in japanese. If the final version of this is going to get popular i suggest it would be in english. Anyways as i said i am willing to test this and i am so pumped about it, by the way i am using galaxy tab 2 10.1 w/ android 4.1.2

Thanks...
wow, this sounds really cool. Unfortunately I got Nokia phone at the moment, but if this comes to be a working emulator, I'll definetly be buying android phone next!
author=giratina22
Hi, i am really intrested in testing this emulator and give a report on how it works. Imhave currently tested 2 others but they could only take a few games and the other one was in japanese. If the final version of this is going to get popular i suggest it would be in english. Anyways as i said i am willing to test this and i am so pumped about it, by the way i am using galaxy tab 2 10.1 w/ android 4.1.2

Thanks...
Just a clarification... the EasyRPG Player is not an emulator. It's a brand new binary with a main focus on behaving as close as the original one (with porting capabilities, from phones to your frying pan -ok that's not true, unless your cooking pan uses Android-).

Anyway, if only I had a smartphone, but mine is pretty stupid, I better put him to study so he get smarter.
I would be interested in testing the app, my device is a second generation Kindle Fire with these specs:
RAM: 1024MB
Screen Resolution: 1024x600
Abstracted LCD Density: mdpi
CPU: Dual Core TI OMAP4 (4430) HS, 1.2 GHz
GPU: Imagination PowerVR
WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n
Default Heap Size: 64MB
Large Heap Size: 256MB
Sadly, the current Android porter (Rikku2000) got a bunch of issues when trying to build it. In the meanwhile, Android Development Tools staff is preparing a new build system and it does not support NDK yet: http://tools.android.com/tech-docs/new-build-system/roadmap and is not worth to do the effort with the current legacy Android building system being deprecated soon.

That's I'm going to defer my Android building plans unless somebody with Android NDK porting experience wants to do it, at least until the new build system becomes ready to support NDK in a standard way (there are several approaches currently at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16667903/android-studio-gradle-and-ndk ).

So the current priority is to mature main EasyRPG core features, like Ghabry is finishing the battle system and other game interpreter related, I will be helping with SaveGame unknown data documentation, also keeping solid the Linux building system in the meanwhile.

I'm sorry to keep this on hold, but we need to keep the improvements going on in other priorities inside the same project. As always we are welcome to new contributions in this huge project.
I feel there is a void for RPG creation tools for phones! Fill it soon! RPGs suit the controls on a phone quite well.
author=kentona
I feel there is a void for RPG creation tools for phones! Fill it soon! RPGs suit the controls on a phone quite well.

Well, at least virtual touch controls are enough for most RPGs.

Finally, Ghabry made it working, after porting it to SDL2:

https://easy-rpg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160&p=938#p938

Just an update bump:

Ghabry worked a lot in the port and is almost ready. It works in my tablet, so I will grab a video in a few hours.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
M Y B O D Y I S R E A D Y
The port is ready for testing:

http://bit.ly/1cjy0OD

Configure your Android device settings to install apk files from third party sites.
The only required permission of this app is to write data into your SD card.

Requirements:
- Android 2.3.3 or newer
- OpenGL ES 2.0 support
- Processor with floating port support (ARM v7a)

Instructions:

- On the first run, Player will create an easyrpg/games/ folder into the sdcard. Put your game folders there.

- For games requiring RTP, copy RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 RTP folders into easyrpg/rtp/2000/ and easyrpg/rtp/2003 respectively. You can add original Japanese RTPs or Don Miguel's 2000 RTP translation or RPG Advocate 2003 RTP translation. Any of these will work even with Japanese or English games (EasyRPG Player does an internal file translation).

- To play MIDI music you need to unpack the folder from this archive into easyrpg/ http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz

- To play games in Russian and other Cyrillic, or Japanese games press and hold the finger over the game folder and select the "region" (charset) between Western European (Latin), Eastern European (Cyrillic) or Japanese.

- In game you can press the options button to show framerate (FPS), hide the on screen virtual keyboard (best for Ouya and gamepads) or fast quit of the game.

Reporting issues:

- Please report any Android issue or crash you find with your games.

- We need special feedback about Android devices for gaming (with own gamepads, or Ouya or similar Android-based devices), because they are not tested yet.

- Please provide which Android OS version you used and the device brand and model.

More info and testing checklist details: https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/pull/177
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Okay, so I've given Player a shot with everyone's favourite RPGMaker 2000 game: The Way, Episode 1.

The game starts off okay (see this screenshot), but after pressing the 'OK' button I get this error message appearing reading 'Image not found: Chipset/'

I am fairly sure the RTP is in the correct directory (/easyrpg/rtp/2000/), so any ideas what could be the problem?

I have no idea how this port was created, but I might try Logcat soon to check for error messages.

EDIT: Log says the exact same thing as the second screenshot! D;

12-24 18:49:21.922: I/EasyRPG Player(30526): Image not found: ChipSet/
12-24 18:49:21.922: I/EasyRPG Player(30526): Player will exit now.
Thanks for the report! Looks like forced rotation is not working for you (weird). I guess you need to enable automatic rotation before running EasyRPG Player (this APK does not have additional rotation permissions). Which Android version are you using?

On the other hand, the missing ChipSet might be two things: Wrong "region" (select occidental or Japanese with long click over the game in the game selector and try again) or some iconv issue yet (reported here): https://github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues/115

I think the RTP is placed OK and it's some weird character conversion issue. Could you provide a filename list of files placed in the game's ChipSet folder?