RTP NPCS VS. CUSTOM NPCS VS. RIPPED NPCS

Pages: first 12 next last
We can all agree that Custom NPCs are the best, but to what point? Custom characters are better than the cliche Alex and his group of four traveling through RTP land, but when you have nothing to work with sometimes you had to do that, wasn't that what it was like back when 2000 and 2003 came out. Now there are sites for people who need sprites, and people who can make sprites for you, but sometimes I swear that certain sprites look so much alike, that they could be from the same person, or from one of those sites where thousands of people are downloading the same sprite. Could custom and ripped sprites soon become cliche, have they already become?

The reason why I'm asking this is for your opinion, in what ways can RTP characters and tilesets come out on top vs. customized characters and some from other games. My RPG maker 2k3 game shows both Customized main characters and RTP NPCs, mixed with edited RTP tilesets. Does this sound like a good idea?
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Depends on how much the custom and RTP's looks differs from each other.

There's one thing that somewhat bothers me. Almost every VX/VX Ace has either Mack or RTP graphics.
IMO there is nothing wrong with the RTP tilesets and characters as long as you aren't making the game shoddy to begin with. Sure, having custom characters and chipsets and faces and everything is nice, but it is the quality of the game that I worry about. Using the RTP doesn't make a game shoddy in and of itself.

Now, as to RTP sets trumping custom stuff, this will only happen when the custom stuff is crap. Well designed custom sprites and chipsets can be amazing in a way that the RTP can't accomplish, simply because you can do anything with them.
Personally i would never play a game with only RTP sprites, no matter how good it is. A few things from RTP here and there is fine, but i'm so sick and tired of them that i get annoyed whenever i see them. Another thing about using RTP is that it makes the game look so incredibly generic. The sprites were probably made to look this way, so that they could be used for alot of different stuff, but the downside to this is that they totally lack in anything resembling personality.
Graphics is the only thing that matters guys. Not the game mechanics, the systems or the plot!

< /sarcasm >
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Graphics is the only thing that matters guys. Not the game mechanics, the systems or the plot!

< /sarcasm >

You, sir, have video games figured out.
author=Neverm0re
author=Archeia_Nessiah

< /sarcasm >

I get that, I was just asking.

So...any other opinions?
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Eh, I only had a Alex type edit character in my game, because it seemed close to the faceset I used.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
author=Neverm0re
author=Archeia_Nessiah

< /sarcasm >

Girl-sir, apparently.
RTP is fine. It's how you use it that matters. Personally I love all aspects of the RTP - faces, chipsets, charactersets, sounds...

They're made to be used and EASY to edit. Of course, you could go ahead and create customs, but you have to do so for each and every NPC and character in your game so that they match, then you have to make sure that they match the chipsets you've used, which often leads to making your own custom chips, faces, battlers and monsters to match...

By then you've spent so much time doing so that you feel burned out. It's one of the reasons that more RTP/Ripped games are completed than original resourced ones.

Besides, the RTP was made to be edited, so why not do it? As long as you're not too hung up about how your game looks, you should.
So long as it matches and is consistent, I don't care what developers use. But inconsistency in graphics (be they for NPCs, Tilesets, or main charas) has always bugged me. I'm only gonna say this once: RTP does not go well with FF6 sprites. But that only IMO.
author=Livewire
So long as it matches and is consistent, I don't care what developers use. But inconsistency in graphics (be they for NPCs, Tilesets, or main charas) has always bugged me. I'm only gonna say this once: RTP does not go well with FF6 sprites. But that only IMO.

nah fuck that shit, I actually like that more than "hey look guys, my game looks exactly like FF6" there's some charm in stitching a bunch of graphics together from different games. like if one guy wants to do a train scene then its oh welp this snes game im trying to completely recreate doesn't have trains in it g-g-g-gulp there goes my imagination ...........semper games....

like im p sure if a kid is lazy enough to use rips he isn't going to care about piss on the mark graphical consistency, and just wants to get what he wants into the game.
I was talking about charsets. If you want to use FF6 Chars with, say Suikoden tiles, go for it, and power to ya. But just one style of chars with one style of tilesets would be nice.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I say we pit them all against each other in a fight to the death, we call it..

It needs to happen, if only for the fact that you made that awesome title.
author=Tau
I say we pit them all against each other in a fight to the death, we call it..

I've already got 2 games going(the Virtual Reality game I'm making, and me and BlobOfGoo's game Super Mario Seasons)
SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE THIS.
I'd say that ripped npcs are a no-no unless they really fit (thus all of your other graphics might have to be ripped as well).

Unity of style is kind of more important to me than how good the style is (unless it's absolutely terrible). If it's consistent, then I don't really care where your resources come from.

That goes for just about every aspect of the experience, really.
I have my suspicions that using ripped sprites from commercial games in one's project is more conducive to racking up subscribers than using either RTP (which you are able to use legally) or RTP edits you did yourself (which may not be up to commercial-level quality). Somewhat sad if true.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=flowerthief
I have my suspicions that using ripped sprites from commercial games in one's project is more conducive to racking up subscribers than using either RTP (which you are able to use legally) or RTP edits you did yourself (which may not be up to commercial-level quality). Somewhat sad if true.

If the ripped sprites look better than RTP, then this makes perfect sense. I don't care how original it is, I just care how good it is.
Pages: first 12 next last