[2K3] [HELP] IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHOOSE ITEMS WITHOUT USING THEM?

Pages: 1
Hello, I've looked around and lurked for a bit but I can't seem to figure this out, even though it seems like it'd be a pretty common issue. Is it possible to choose an item from the item menu without using it, for example, to give to an NPC, drop it, throw it in a well, etc.?
For example, let's say I want to have the player choose to give an NPC some item, but I don't want to give the hint that would come from a choice such as "Give JOE the BLUE THING? Y/N?" Or having a character choose to use an item in a specific situation such as choosing which of several keys they have to use in a certain door? The only ways I can think of would involve checking to see if the character has those things and then asking the player specifically if they want to use that item, which I hope to avoid, or being able to do it only with switch type items, and not, say, potions, where choosing it from the menu would mean using it and thus not allowing it to be used in another way.
I hope this question makes sense, at least. Thanks in advance for reading!
Yes, it's possible but you have to do it with the switch type item. In the item section of the database, make sure that the item's type is set to "Switch". Under "Turn ON Switch" create a new switch that this item will trigger. Under that, there is "Activation Allowed" where you can tick off "Field" and "Battle" depending if you want the item to be usable only in the field, or only in battle, or in both.

Then you can either set up a common event that is triggered upon that switch's activation, or a map event.

Unfortunately RM2k3 isn't so flexible when it comes to items..
Thanks for your reply! I figured it might be so. Switches it is, then. I've been trying to work with the switch items and I guess you have to make it so that the switch is turned off at all other times so that you can't use the item at a completely different time/place and have that activate the "giving" accidentally.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The switch doesn't have to be on in order for the item to work. Using the item turns the switch on. You need a common event that occurs when the switch is on, checks the player's coordinates to see if they're in front of the NPC, and gives the item to the NPC if so.

If you want potions and other such items to be possibilities, you'll have to do it how FF4 did it: make it so when you talk to the NPC, it detects what items the player is carrying, and shows a list of all of them. Warning: doing this in RM2K3 will be some work. The only sane way to do it will be to create a custom menu. You can't just use a series of conditional branches and standard dialogue choices, because detecting which ones the player has and only showing those ones as options just isn't realistically possible through that method (If you have 100 items, will take 100000000 conditional branches). So you'll need to make your own mini-menu system to show all the items in a little window.
LockeZ, thanks for your reply. It was more something I was curious about than something that I feel is crucial to my game so I don't think I'll be going the hard route.

I'm a little confused by your first comment, "the switch doesn't have to be on in order for the item to work" but the common event occurs when the switch is on? Do you mean that just the switch being on alone isn't enough?

Here's the way I'm envisioning things happening. Let's say the player acquires the ITEM in the dungeon and then decides to use it there for whatever reason. (Nothing happens, as far as the player is concerned, but the switch is turned on at this point, right?) Then he goes to town and talks to the NPC, and since the switch is on, the character gives it automatically, without the player selecting the item at that point? Which is why I thought I'd need to turn the switch off so that it doesn't activate the event as soon as the player is standing near the NPC, but only by the player using the item in the right spot.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Right, sort of, using the item turns the switch on. I think you understand how it works, just not the best way to use it.

You want to make an auto-start common event that happens when the switch is turned on. Essentially, this common event happens when the item is used. The common event tells the game what the item does.

This common event checks the player's coordinates, and sees if they're standing in front of the NPC. If so, it initiates whatever cut scene you want. If not, it turns the switch back off, so that the next time the player uses the item, the common event gets run again. (Also, turn the switch off at the end of the cut scene, so that it doesn't loop forever.)
Okay, I think I've got it. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the help!
Pages: 1