NEW GAME SEEKING TEAM

Pages: first 12 next last
I know this happens a lot, a n00b jumps into the forums and starts talking about how they are going to make the greatest game ever in the history of the world, but just needs a coder, artist, mapper, resources and a soundtrack. (Sometimes also a story.)

Well, that's only kinda me.

I'm actually a professional working music composer and a screenwriter friend and I are looking to develop a fun little RPG. I used to own a company that developed games for mobile devices back in the NGage days, but have since moved on. That being said, I'm looking to find a few interested parties who might be interested in working with us in developing this fun little project.

So far I'm making some progress with the Sphere engine, but am open to alternative suggestions. Ideally, we'd like to find an isometric engine, but have yet to find anything that excites us. (This is also because I am not a master programmer and am out-of-touch with the times on this front.)

We of course, would like to monetize this project at some point if possible, but it is not a primary initial goal. Feel free to drop your flames and responses below!
Maybe it would be good if you can show off some of your portfolio works. Like some of your music works to start with? :)
Here's one thing handy that I recently did.

I recently discovered that the project idea I was pitched is attached to a film franchise. So, as far as a budget, that may be more realistic that I formerly thought. Hope that helps drum up an audience.
So what are you specifically looking for?
I really don't think there is a need to bump after 8 hours. in case you haven't noticed, the forum doesn't move that fast. people aren't not posting because your topic is too old.

also, you haven't really shown much to get people interested. 1 video and promise of a movie deal? or something. big budget. the irony of your introduction doesn't negate the fact that it is what it is. what is the setting of said game? the story? the characters? who else is involved in this? anything? people aren't going to be drawn to the fact that you made games for ngage and that this could be a movie.

that song isn't awful, but it's not enough. did you play all those instruments yourself? or just some. did you arrange it?

I find it hard to believe that something with a possible budget and movie is going to be made in something like Sphere. it never hurts to post around, so whatever. I'm not interested, just trying to sort of help.
Sphere is still quite capable. I've heard commercial games have been released in RPG Maker, and Sphere has the capability to vastly outdo RPG Maker (freedom and limitations wise, to be sure), although very few people put in that kind of effort to Sphere. It's still being developed, too, and the new version will be more compatible with releasing games on steam (and commercial games in general) than the earlier versions.

You could check out spheredev.org, that is Sphere's actual home.
Yea, I was kinda afraid that might be the general response.

Listen, here's the deal. I haven't worked on a game in a long time and all my old gamer buddies buddies are off working on DBs for banks and whatnot and don't spend much time coding games for cell phones nowdays.

An associate of mine who just wrapped production on a feature film with international distribution came to me with the idea of doing this little RPG (because he knew I used to do games.) At the time he didn't tell me that he had mentioned the idea to the distributor of the film and received a warm response. As such, my knowledge of the situation was updated and thus so was my post.

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about RPG coding, and am certainly up to the times with current engines. I was looking at Sphere mostly because it was easiest for me to use. At this point, I'm doing it myself. Not a problem really, it's kinda fun, but it won't get done in a suitable time frame to coincide with the release of the film.

All that being said, my name is right on that YouTube video, if you're that curious about if I'm being honest about my legitimacy please feel free to run me on IMDB or Google if you'd like.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, and I don't mean to be defensive, but c'mon, it's a project for a commercial purpose, if I gave up all the info on the project without an NDA, I would really be horrible businessman.

I'm just looking for some people who have a hobby and might like to make a few bucks working on a rather simple project over a few months time. If anyone is in fact interested I will be more than happy to do whatever I can to answer any and all relevant questions.

author=Link_2112
I really don't think there is a need to bump after 8 hours. in case you haven't noticed, the forum doesn't move that fast. people aren't not posting because your topic is too old.

Sorry. Too much time on 4chan.

author=Link_2112
also, you haven't really shown much to get people interested. 1 video and promise of a movie deal? or something. big budget. the irony of your introduction doesn't negate the fact that it is what it is. what is the setting of said game? the story? the characters? who else is involved in this? anything? people aren't going to be drawn to the fact that you made games for ngage and that this could be a movie.

I'm hoping someone has something they've been working on that would be excited to share it and help make something original that fit the premise of the film. (Also, to compensate said someone.)

author=Link_2112
that song isn't awful, but it's not enough. did you play all those instruments yourself? or just some. did you arrange it?

Well, thank you... I think. The answer to that question is yes, kinda, and yes. I played all of the instruments, although some of them are simply parts I played on a keyboard and ran through carious VST instruments. The guitar, drums, piano, bass, all real. Everything else, all MIDI/VST. I also recorded and produced the entire track. I do 95% of all of my own recording. I am also a professional studio musician and cellist.

author=Link_2112
I find it hard to believe that something with a possible budget and movie is going to be made in something like Sphere. it never hurts to post around, so whatever. I'm not interested, just trying to sort of help.

Basically, as I said. I liked Sphere, it was working for me the best of all of the SDKs I had access to. I also did say that I am totally open to any engine out there. I just don't know what the best approach was. Hence my looking for friendlies in an RPG-making forum on an RPG-making site.
author=FlyingJester
You could check out spheredev.org, that is Sphere's actual home.

Thanks! Although, I'm still holding out hope that someone knows or has made a good isometric engine.
author=Boelter
So what are you specifically looking for?

Right now, I'm trying to find my code guru. Someone who is familiar with the engines out there and our options. Basically, I need to find someone who will help us to manage the code through like, 1 level to show proof of concept to the distributor. Just a rough, basic demo. Once that's done, either we get the green light, or we don't.

If we get the green light from them, we figure out our budget, plan accordingly and develop a small number of levels to support the initial release. In a perfect world, we would also be able to somehow port to smartphones and tablets, so I guess touch screen support comes in.

Here's my plan for this first step:

1. Find a coder willing to work with us.
2. Work with coder to develop basic whitepaper, establish budget and feasibility.
3. Negotiate and sign an agreement with said coder to make sure that if we get budget they get compensated for their work up until that point and throughout the duration of the project.
4. Develop a 1-2 level tech demo to demonstrate concept and functionality to distributor.
5. Pitch to distributors.
6. Go/No-Go on project completion.
7. Development, testing, release. Done in spring, part-time work, everybody's happy.
Did you search Spheredev for isometric engines? The Majestic Map Engine had an isometric branch (which has been abandoned), and the Brutal Map Engine is isometric (but not quite perfect). There might be more I don't know about.
yeah, I can understand about the NDA. you've got a hard sell then. and I'm aware that Sphere is capable of anything. I worked with it for a short time and if I wanted to learn something new it would probably be that.

I would suggest speaking with Radnen(of RMN). when I showed interest in Sphere he came to me and worked with me. like, my own personal tutor, he's pretty rad like that. he wants to see more games in Sphere and this sounds like just the thing for him.

Thanks for the good info! I was playing around with his battle system that he made and liked the simplicity, that's a good idea!
If you're wanting to have the possibility of porting to mobile devices game maker might be a nice one to look into, but it has its own separated coding language (a fairly simple one though)
author=TheGowans
If you're wanting to have the possibility of porting to mobile devices game maker might be a nice one to look into, but it has its own separated coding language (a fairly simple one though)

Thanks, I'll give it a look!
The newer, in development versions of Sphere (aka TurboSphere) are theoretically quite capable of being ported to Android (and possibly iOS, if Apple's rules regarding generated code really have changed). But that hasn't happened yet. Both V8 and SDL, its two building blocks (and specifically the versions it uses), do run on both Android and iOS.
Jester, I noticed that you have a game up in the repo on spheredev. I'll have to check that out.
If you look at any of the subforums over there, about a quarter of the newest page or so is stuff I did or helped with. There aren't a lot of us Sphericals around any more.
* A bit off topic here but is spheredev down for anyone else? I was looking into it after reading this topic but can't get onto the website (404 error)
Pages: first 12 next last