IS THIS WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT FROM THE BEST OF THE BEST RMXP TITLES?

Pages: first 123 next last
Ok, so it's like this.

I decided to finally try an RMXP title, and I figure I'd start with the highly rated Master of the Wind. All I remembered reading about it in the reviews a month or so ago was that it's an episodic superhero themed rpg, and that it's got really great dialogue, and even though the combat is the games worst feature, it's still quite great.

What I got from the hour or so of the game was beyond frustrating.

Please, allow me to be honest. I'm not trying to insult anyone with this topic, I'm merely trying understand a few things here.

First of all, why did RMXP go back to the Dragon Warrior style of RPGs that I've seen in most RM2k titles? I can forgive the average RM2k game for this because it was kinda the only option that they had available at the time, but this is after RMK2k3, and the only big difference that I see between it and 2k is that you see a still portrait of your allies, and they sorta flash for a second before they attack? Seriously, why would the creators of XP do this?

Then we have this highly applauded dialogue. First of all, the dialogue feels like it's ripped straight from He-Man, the main characters ally looking and acting like a chaotic good version of Skeletor, and the villain you're chasing is just as much of a joke. Not to mention that the main character acts and talks like a bad comic book superhero, but doesn't seem to have any super powers.

Again, please tell me, are these problems present in most of what are considered the really great RPGMaker XP titles out there? Because if so, I'm wondering if I should avoid them for the most part, even if they have a lot of really detailed reviews praising them.

Thanks for for your time.
Master of the Wind, imo, isn't one of the best of the best RMXP titles. You're being misleaded here.

The best of the best RMXP games are by far Last Scenario and Exit Fate, which you should totally check out here:

Last Scenario: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=8
Exit Fate: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10

Yes, both are made by the same person.

I have to admit that the best of the best RMXP games are rarer than the best of the best RM2k/RM2k3/even RMVX games.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Try Exit Fate, you wont regret it. Honestly that is the only game that comes to mind for RMXP sadly.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
RMXP has full scripting support, and so the battle style is whatever the designer wants it to be, not necessarily first-person. Some game designers use first-person because it's easier to make (or find) graphics for, while others simply prefer it. While first-person battles are the default style in every engine except RM2K3, there are tons of games that use other styles.

And bad writing has nothing to do with the engine, of course. Though, let's be fair, very few professionally-developed story-driven games have better writing than He-Man. If any. (This is meant to be an insult to game writing, not a compliment to He-Man, just in case anyone is confused)

Our featured RMXP games include a tactical RPG called The Reconstruction, a sort of visual novel with minimal RPG combat and minigames called Quintessence, and an adventure game called The Heirs of Techcatl, and a bullet hell shooter game called U.S.G. A New Beginning. I would also possibly recommend Vacant Sky if you don't mind that it's still being worked on and there will be a better version that comes out later, and Cosplay Crisis if you enjoy Final Fantasy and don't mind that it has a lot of bugs.

From a player's perspective, XP and VX are basically the same engine anyway, so if you're looking for games to play, check out VX games also. They have the same technical level of graphics, and the same advanced possibilities for complex features to differentiate games from each-other.

Master of the Wind isn't that bad, though. I don't know if all the BEST GAME EVER comments are warranted, but it's polished. If the biggest flaw is that the writing is goofy then it sounds like a winner to me.
I'll reply with a lot more when I have time later tomorrow, but I shouldn't have said best of the best, just highly praised. It has about 7 or reviews for it, and it still averages a 4.5, and again, the reviews seem to praise the dialogue, and not in an ironic way.
author=eplipswich
Master of the Wind, imo, isn't one of the best of the best RMXP titles. You're being misleaded here.

The best of the best RMXP games are by far Last Scenario and Exit Fate, which you should totally check out.
Couldn't have said it better myself. LS, and EF are near "masterpiece" level XP games, that should definitely be played if you're looking for a good rpg~ It's amazing how both of those were made by the same creator! :o

Another good one is Vacant Sky vol.1 Contention; it's slightly difficult(or at least it was for me :p), but overall pretty great.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
When it came to me and MotW, I couldn't bring myself to complete even the first dungeon. First of all, it was -poorly- designed (poor use of the graphics), and you were tossed into a situation that required you to move from one side of a perfectly square room to the other while avoiding falling into hidden pits that result in you having to find your way out of a labyrinth-style time-wasting map. Potions (from what little I played) were far too rare to make sense given the traditional level of difficulty you'll experience fighting monsters.

The game's a train-wreck in my books.

EDIT: I would like to add (as I may have been wrong about the potions) that I haven't played the game since shortly after it was released in its entirety, so I may have forgotten a couple of details. Given that this is the case, I've decided to re-download all 531 megabytes of the game and give it another shot to see if I can get any further.

Secondary EDIT: Well, I made it to the catacombs and quickly lost interest as nothing up to this point has inspired me to progress anyway. I found myself skimming over the dialogue as it was simple standard fare, resulting in me spending more time than I probably should have finding my way around town. The first dungeon was easy to understand, but I still stand by my original point that it was designed too lazily and offered little to draw the player in during those crucial first minutes, which only solidified my lackluster impression towards the game when the beginning of the second dungeon was a task of fighting the same monster over and over again until it would apparently lead to me magically unlocking a door...
to :eplipswich

Yeah, I've heard of these are quite good, but I'm mainly focusing on games that are from the beginning of the websites lifetime right now.

Oh, and if I may ask, why aren't both games on this site?

To LockeZ

Yeah, I know that the writing has nothing to do with the engine. My problem is that this literally the most praised XP game on this site in terms of reviews, with a big emphasis on how great the writing is, and it's THIS BAD?!!! Seriously, why? I've played a few 2k and 2k3 games on this site, and the praise for the writing has been warranted.

It's like the standards for great writing went out the window when XP went into the picture. Or at least that's what this game is making me fear, and I'm here asking if this really is the case.

And yeah, again, right now I'm focusing on games from near the beginning of this sites existence. They have to be complete of course, and the reviews have to point something out that impresses me, but yeah.

To Corfaisus

While I disagree on the whole potions thing (Potions and Antidotes were given out to me like I was playing Diablo II.) I do have to say that while the dungeon certainly was different, I certainly was frustrated by it, and it get repetitive, fast. Couldn't be more happier at my girlfriend who pulled me away from the game after a couple hours.
author=MorteTorment
author=eplipswich

The best of the best RMXP games are by far Last Scenario and Exit Fate, which you should totally check out here:

Last Scenario: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=8
Exit Fate: http://site.scfworks.com/?page_id=10

Yes, both are made by the same person.

I have to admit that the best of the best RMXP games are rarer than the best of the best RM2k/RM2k3/even RMVX games.
Yeah, I've heard of these are quite good, but I'm mainly focusing on games that are from the beginning of the websites lifetime right now.

Oh, and if I may ask, why aren't both games on this site?
Because he didn't upload them to the site.

Also, I get that you don't care for the writing in MotW, but c'mon man, quit expressing your opinion as objective fact. Just write a review of it already.
I heard good things about Gibmaker's Set Discrepancy, not sure if it's your cup of tea though.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=MorteTorment
It's like the standards for great writing went out the window when XP went into the picture. Or at least that's what this game is making me fear, and I'm here asking if this really is the case.

Nah. What is true that XP allowed people to focus on gameplay in a way that they couldn't in older versions of RPG Maker. But this resulted in more games with minimalist plots, rather than more games with terrible writing.

Your mistake was downloading games from the dawn of time, I think. Standards for being the "best rmxp game ever" were lower back then. Since there were only, like, three of them.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=MorteTorment
What standards for great writing? Please point me to these RM2k/3 games with "great writing" because I've been looking for them for years to no avail.
author=MorteTorment

Standards for great writing are usually pretty low with an amateur developer, and not just what's found here, but on various RM sites. RMXP has nothing to do with this; this practice has been in place long before it with RM2K and 2K3. Case in point, Demon Legacy for RM2K3. It's highly praised and glorified, but I found it to be rather atrocious, if not for the writing then for the overall balance of the game. But in the end, it becomes a matter of opinion, and if I find I can't stand something and it's not warranted of whatever review it's been given, I'll either write my own review or just move on.
author=MorteTorment
Then we have this highly applauded dialogue. First of all, the dialogue feels like it's ripped straight from He-Man, the main characters ally looking and acting like a chaotic good version of Skeletor, and the villain you're chasing is just as much of a joke. Not to mention that the main character acts and talks like a bad comic book superhero, but doesn't seem to have any super powers.

My He-Man is rather rusty since it was 20 years or so since I last saw any of it, but from what I do remember, nope, there's no comparison when it comes to the quality of the writing. As far as super power goes, how about wind magic?

More seriously though, the main character uses wind magic in combat and he will actually use wind magic a lot to overcome obstacles story wise. The game does similar things with other playable characters and villains as well, the power they have during battles are also used effectively during cutscenes. The characters in MotW doesn't really have more superpowers than in any other JRPGs, but their abilities are presented more like superpowers than is usual in JRPGs.
Rm2k3 with fantastic writing poor gameplay mechanics. Beloved Rapture is a clear example. Dunno if here is still a demo though. And Demon Legacy is great, so is Mana Conquest: Vengeance
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Of games with legitimately good writing in any engine, there are very few. Probably none! The ones you remember being great seven or eight years ago probably wouldn't hold up under scrutiny if you played them now.

For a game with entertaining writing I'd recommend Dhux's Scar, but I'd urge you to check your expectations and not ever expect Faulkner or Dickens from RM games made by amateurs.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Best writing ever :A Blurred Line, and Morte Torment, following Kentona's post, you seem to love criticizing and with, oh, so much assurance... do write reviews so we can objectively judge your opinions.
MorteTorment, I have this to say.

It doesn't mean that a game that has many good reviews is a highly-rated game. The single best way to test and see if a game is good to you is if you play it. To me, reviews and ratings are a way to gauge how popular a game is, but to really find out whether or not it's good to you is to play it.

And yeah, like others said, if you don't feel a game is good at all, that's where your review comes in! You review the game and constructively criticize it if you have to!

Also, please don't forget that RPG Maker RPGs are made by amateurs, not professionals. Don't harbor too much expectation in them.

And:

author=MorteTorment

I'm not sure what you mean by beginning of website's lifetime. You mean the beginning of this website's lifetime or RPG Maker RPGs as a whole? Because if it's the latter, you ought to know that Last Scenario was released in 2007, while Exit Fate was released in 2009. Master of the Wind was released in 2011...(And I'm talking about the full version).
Pages: first 123 next last