WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT GAMES/COMMUNITIES FROM OTHER LANGUAGES?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
The Finnish rpg maker community doesn't make games (except for a shitty VXA game once in every year) because they're lazy. Their coolkid rating is quite decent though.
I used to hang around with some Russian game makers (who used Python, Visual Basic, or C++). They were good people. Mostly, they had a really good ethic about getting things done, even if it wasn't quite what they hoped it would be, they really got things done. I admire that.

That's how my logo gained the phrase Igrat Horoshow.
I've come across some foreign games before that looked incredible, but since I can't understand them, I really have no interest in the project.

The only exception was someone who remade Mega Man 7 and 8 in NES style - since you don't really need to understand the text to play Mega Man.
Well, I love know different culture, therefore I love to know different games from other countries.
I'm argentinian and I think that there isn't other people from my country here(at least I think so), but there is many latinamerican people making games here.
I believe that no matter where you from, every one have different ideas, the culture doesn't necessarily influence when you make a game.
In 2000-2004 the spanish communities was the worst rpg maker communities of all, normally you talked about your game and the common was say a lot of bad things about you and your family, and if you made something everybody went to steal all the resources lol
today there is more good people
The language barrier is indeed a huge problem, especially in such heavily text-based games like rpgs. Concerning this topic…

Around 10 years ago there was a contest between German and French RPG Maker communities. In order to understand the games, the rule was to create a game completely without text within roughly 3 months. If you want to try out German or French games, this could be a start. But you will need a good understanding of general RPG mechanics to have a chance in games without any text.

My entry for this contest was “Hell Gates”, an Action-RPG (around 10 hours long). While Itaju (who posted in the beginning of this thread) created “3 Monkeys” which is a horror-survival-game.

By the way: Someone in Germany had the bright idea that including MIDIs from commercial games is illegal and took legal actions against a few RPG Maker sites. They had to shut down or remove the MIDIs from all downloadable games. So it can be kind of tricky to get a German, non-silent version of a game.

Here is the link to Hell Gates:
Download Hell Gates

Here you can find a few videos about Hell Gates 2. It is 100% complete but in contrast to the first part has a lot of text and its in German:
YouTube-Channel of Valadur
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Polish RPG Maker community is about same like English ones, except we've got unofficial RM translations by guy going by name of "Reptile" (which he claims has nothing to do with MK character of same name). It's a bit more than just translations, but oh well.

Also, while most of community prefer newer makers (XP and newer), many people prefer to stay with 2k series and there are some fights over which maker is better, which often tend to go into flamewar territory, especially when "X-Tech" a.k.a. "AI RPG" guy is involved (also he apparently owns cloning machine, since when he gets banned of flaming, he is making quickly second account and carry on like nothing has happened, even IP bans aren't successful).

There is somewhat of grudge between XP and VX/VX Ace users, mainly because of kinda cartoonish style of VX and Ace. Thankfully it isn't as big as 2k/3 versus world debate.

In recent months RM95 also took off in Polish RM community.
French communities :

It's true we focus a lot on aesthetics and if the game is custom made, it will attract more attention.

Gameplay come in second position because a game need usually to be pretty for us before trying it. So gameplay come only when we test a game. So, in my opinion we really do lack "players" because of that barrier (and laziness).

We have a few coders (like 3 or 5?) but no-one (really) makes graphics to share with everyone.

We usually only loved Rpg maker 2003 games because people who use it don't rely on RTP and try to use RIP or custom made graphics and make custom systems with events but this thinking is changing little by little.

Here's some recently made french games that are custom made :
A-rpg > Kujira no Hara
Point & Click > Asypole

I hope that with my game Bloody Rose , I will be able to make a balanced game (aesthic+gameplay) that French and English (speaking) players will like.
Pages: first prev 12 last