LOOKING FOR IDEAS FOR MY BATTLE SCREEN LAYOUT.

Pages: 1
So I'm dealing with a minor quandary. I'm making a demo for a game I hope to Kickstart and someday take commercial. Hoping to put my best foot forward I've invested in unique music and am still putting together a nice repertoire of custom art (both hand drawn and pixel) that I'm going to use to make a playable demo.

The thing is, my battle layout is the standard XP one and I think I need something a bit more unique to my project if I'm going to ask people to give me money. My problem is that I have no clue where to go with this.

I actually really like the basic XP layout and don't want to stray too far from that classic Dragon Quest style. That said, I know I need something....

As such I'm turning to you kind folks. I've posted a couple screens from my game below and if anyone has any ideas I'd be much appreciative. Moreover, if anyone has the ambition to help me actually put something together, I'd be willing to compensate them financially. I'm not rich so we're probably talking in the area of like $20, but hey, you can buy a copy of Dragon Quest V for $20, so that's something!

A few pertinent details:
-My art is tailored toward the aforementioned Dragon Quest static battle screens, so it has to fit that.
-The Carmichael character art is currently a placeholder. Another artist did a better piece that's currently being detailed.
-While the mockups have an SP counter there will be no SP in the actual game, just HP.

Let me know your thoughts!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hmm, sounds like you need ideas more than anything. Let's get some brain juices flowing. Describe how skills and status effects work in your game. What game are they most similar to? What about them is different from "normal"? Can the hero do anything else in battle besides use skills? Are there any weird effects or situations that might deserve their own display? What information about enemies do you want to display? Their health, their immunities, the status effects that they've been inflicted with, who they're targetting, anything at all? What about information about party members?

Also, you clearly have some very nice battle backgrounds; do they go all the way down behind the window at the bottom, or would there just be black behind there if the window were shrunk/removed?
Hmm... Well as I said, there's not SP in the game. HP doubles as SP, meaning that to perform a special skill you'd need to essentially damage yourself, which could be risky if you're at low health.

The hero will be able to use perform a basic attack, perform special moves, use items, rest, and attempt to flee. Resting would essentially be a Defend move, you lose a turn but recover a percentage of your HP.

I'm a big fan of classic turn-based RPGs, so I want to keep things simple combat-wise. That said, I had considered trying to implement a "focus" system similar to the threat system in the Deadly Sin games whereas performing specific attacks or moves will draw the enemy's attention to a character and make them more likely to attack that character. I actually think it would work well, especially with my HP system. I'm hesitant though, because I don't want to be seen as copying their system. I also imagine such a system would require heavy scripting and I'm not a scripter at all.

Status ailments would also play heavily into the game and their use would sometimes be needed to beat a boss. For instance, a boss with a high defense might need to be attacked with a defense lowering attack to even put a dent in their health. Another goal with my status ailments is to keep them largely grounded in reality. I'm looking to make the Game of Thrones of RPGs and keep magic a very limited presence in the game. So far none of planned attacks are magical in nature and the status ailments will be along the lines of broken bones, sprained knees, poison, bleeding, etc. I imagine that would play into things like icons for status ailments and such.

Oh! And the art stops at the area containing the player characters. It would just be black past that point.

I hope some of that was useful...

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Based on the importance of HP, I'm thinking it should be a really big super-visible bar. Is there only one party member?

How many skills do you have? I'm wondering if an MMORPG-like skill menu would be appropriate, with a big button for each skill instead of a menu with a list of names.

Also, practically any customization of the battle menu at all is gonna require scripting. Sorry.
There will be 3 party members total. I just don't have battlers for the other two yet.

How hard would it be to replace the fight/escape text menu with icons? I.e. one for attack, running, special attacks and resting? A nice HP bar would be a good idea too. I'm not sure how many skills each character will have... I'm shooting for a game length of about 10-15 hours, so maybe 6-7 per character?

Heh, how much do you charge?
LockeZ
Ha ha. You couldn't pay me enough to make a battle interface, I can't even get up the energy to do it for my own game. I just like talking about how to make the ideas better.
Psh...Well when my multi-million dollar Kickstarter campaign succeeds we'll see what tune you sing! :)

Seriously though, if anyone is interested in helping out and possesses the skills to do so I'm willing to negotiate a compensation. I said $20 but I'm open to discussion.
Pages: 1