DUDESOFT'S HANDYMAN CORNER

Pages: first 123 next last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Hey, folks. If you don't know me, I'm Dudesoft.

My Credentials:
-Take Down series (RPG Maker 2k-2k3)
-Quest of Dude series (RMXP, RMVX/Ace)
-Atom Pulsar (AGS)
-FF Forum RPG (current Game Master, started by LockeZ)
-and founder of RMNverse!

I'm here to teach you how not to make games, using my own personal tried and tested methodology! There will also be included art direction nopes to see!
Lastly, I'm happy to answer and fail to solve any and all of your questions.

Note; I have absolutely no experience with actual programming. So if you need script help, look no further to get absolute failure!
Tempted to throw together a generic R2k3 parody. Any tropes that need to be averted?
Just to clarify. I've been thinking about doing a Testosterone poisoned Semi-joke game. Is there anything that I really need to avoid? I've finally accepted that Alex jokes are not funny.

(Hopefully) Typical NPC Convo:

Priest of Gromm: Gromm is not pleased by sissy girlymen. Go forth and kick the ass of evil. (Pause) And then drink mead and bang hot bitches, for such things are glorious in the eyes of Gromm.
author=Dudesoft
if you need script help, look no further

Oh thank goodness someone can help me!

Earlier today I got a new error from RPG Maker, that is to say it's an error I haven't had in just short of 10 years.

Duplicated argument name!

Are there any other errors I might not have ever had yet?
Dudesoft
Long-Time Fan, First-Time Poster, Billwilliams Writes:
Dearest Dudesoft-sama,
    In my midsummer's eve pondering, amidst a wreath of pipe smoke, a certain idea propped itself into my head. Could you spare a moment to hear me out, and mayhaps spot a few pointers and criticisms? It would be a most pleasant surprise to hear from such a majestic beast of a man. 
Herein, is the thought:
Imagine a world fueled by testosterone. Where everyone was as beefy as The Rock on steroids. It is my endevour to complete a comedy video game encompassing this mere thought. Do you have any musings on what to avoid, such that would hinder the masculine vibe?

Yours Completely,
-Billwilliams

Dear Bill,
First of all, thank you for servicing a much avoided segment of RPGs. A few things spring to mind as to what TO include:
-stereotypical anime teenager waking up in bed. Except everyone is so beefy that his dream is to one day be as strong as, say, the Townsman. A hero who goes from town to town, lifting weights.
Better yet, make it a teenage girl and gender flip it. Imagine being a girl in such a world? It would strike an interesting narrative balance!
-Have visible character growth. Make the hero/ine sprite grow more muscular throughout the game. Maybe have minigames to work out. Think of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas!
-Steroids should be like some kind of evil drug people are afraid of. Like pot in our real world. Have underground people who say it's actually good for you, etc.

What not to do:
-Spelling and grammar mistakes. Classic rookie, borderline 'Alex-joke', mistake. Comedy is not in poor form, but the witty spin of situations, word placement and word play. Here's an easy to remember rule of thumb: 'Comedy is making someone believe one thing and at the last second flipping their belief on its head.' 
-Bad mapping. Another golden rule. Same with form, people are playing a game! It doesn't matter if it's hilarious. If it looks / plays poorly, they won't finish. Then your game is a wasted creation.

Have fun making your game, Billy! I hope you do well.
-Dudesoft

Next we have a handwritten letter all the way from wherever it is Fomar0153 is from:
HELP! HELP! I CAN'T FIND THE CAPSLOCk-- nevermind, I found it. Oh! While I have your attention, it would be totally infamous to have help on a problem from the King of Kings, Dudesoft!
So, like, while I was snarfing down my cheetohs, I got this wild prompt from the computer box! 
It said some crazy jibberish. I forget what it is. Anyway man, my question is like, should I expect more errors and shit?

Thanks a bundle.
-Fomie

First of all, take your thumb out of your anus. Second of all, turn on your internet and stop hand-writing all these letters. You only needed to send me 1 letter, not 10. I got the first one.
Thirdly, you can expect many pop ups and prompts. Computers are scary technology. If you do not receive twenty viruses a day, clearly you are not connected to the internet. I have to defragment my hard-drive roughly two times a week from all the corruption.
-D

In a related note, here is an email I received from an old colleague of mine, Karsuman van Uberstance:
boobies.

just boobies.

On those perky notes, that concludes today's Handyman's Corner. I hope I've helped you all, and impacted your future! Please feel free to drop me a question anytime.

-Dudesoft
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dudesoft, I am literally on fire and am having trouble figuring out how to proceed. The pain is unbelievable and I would probably like it to stop, plus it makes it very hard to interact with electronics and other objects without damaging them, but I'm not sure what to do to change my on-fire status and I'm not sure if there are hidden perks I might not be aware of that make it worth staying on fire. Please advise.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I am, unfortunately and to my great shame, not Dudesoft. However, I aspire to someday be as majestic as the man himself and will attempt to offer my own inferior insights on LockeZ's predicament. I can only apologise for the sub-par quality of my advice and assure you that Dudesoft will no doubt burst into the topic in a blaze of glory and make my paltry offering look like nothing.

LockeZ, being on fire can be a tough experience for anyone, but whenever the agonising pain or smouldering flesh becomes too much for you, just remember that you will always have the perfect Human Torch costume for Halloween or impromptu fancy dress parties.

Should you wish to end your personal inferno, I hear that dousing yourself with petrol is an effective way to turn fire off.
Forget about human pain and fire, Big Dudesoft that lives above, would you promote my next game, I don't know what is going to be about, I don't even know if I want to make it, but people are going to love it.

What I am asking is not much to be honest, you only have to add a banner in wherever forum you visit even if it is against the rules. In everything you do, be sure to make a reference to it, comics, youtube videos, food etc... post in other facebook walls telling your friends, family, unknown people you add and forgot who they were.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must bow to the guru's wisdom and strive ever harder towards perfectly epic failure.
Dudesoft
My esteemed friend and brother of another mother, LockeZ writes:
Dudesoft, I am literally on fire and am having trouble figuring out how to proceed.  The pain is unbelievable and I would probably like it to stop, plus it makes it very hard to interact with electronics and other objects without damaging them, but I'm not sure what to do to change my on-fire status and I'm not sure if there are hidden perks I might not be aware of that make it worth staying on fire.  Please advise.

And before I waste moments of lifeforce, we must accept another letter from the greatly aspiring Trihan, as he makes his triumphant debut into the world of Advice Columns.
I am, unfortunately and to my great shame, not Dudesoft. However, I aspire to someday be as majestic as the man himself and will attempt to offer my own inferior insights on LockeZ's predicament. I can only apologise for the sub-par quality of my advice and assure you that Dudesoft will no doubt burst into the topic in a blaze of glory and make my paltry offering look like nothing.
Truth incarnate, my friend. He continues with;
LockeZ, being on fire can be a tough experience for anyone, but whenever the agonising pain or smouldering flesh becomes too much for you, just remember that you will always have the perfect Human Torch costume for Halloween or impromptu fancy dress parties.

Should you wish to end your personal inferno, I hear that dousing yourself with petrol is an effective way to turn fire off.

This advice is of paramount abundance. It's really a game of pros and cons.
Cons:
-Cannot touch anything.
-Cannot make love (unless she is extra special).
-Cannot drive a car or ride a bus.
-Cannot have an effective bath.
-May have trouble breathing as the oxygen won't reach your lungs before burning up.

Pros:
-Any food you pick up cooks itself.
-Aformentioned Human Torch costume (always).
-Potential Fantastic Four movie deals.
-Can be first man on Earth to live in North West Territories, or maybe Greenland if you don't like Canada, naked.
-Always sterile. No more showers!
-Can self-heat a hot-tub, depending how powerful your flames are.
-Be revered as a god, if cards are played right.
-Probably die young, and leave a charred husk of skin.

Should the cons outweigh these pros, I recommend locking yourself in an airtight room. The fire will burn itself out. Make sure someone knows to fetch you. Warning: you may have suffered severe burning and will be in a hospital for a long time, if you are adverse to people puking at the sight of your mangled face.

On an unrelated note, please submit artistic or game-making problems in the future, or my handy advice column will end up in Welp, welp where it can do no good.

¡Next, we have MrChearlie all the way from Mexico!
Forget about human pain and fire, Big Dudesoft that lives above, would you promote my next game, I don't know what is going to be about, I don't even know if I want to make it, but people are going to love it. 

What I am asking is not much to be honest, you only have to add a banner in wherever forum you visit even if it is against the rules. In everything you do, be sure to make a reference to it, comics, youtube videos, food etc... post in other facebook walls telling your friends, family, unknown people you add and forgot who they were.
You can bet your sweet ass I will.

Thanks folks, have a splendid evening. If you'll excuse me, I am a little busy fighting a bear with my hands to continue typing like this.
-Dudesoft
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dearest Dudesoft,
Technically this isn't a Dev thread, but it's not exactly a help thread either. I'm having trouble placing it and while I'm tempted to just throw it to the Wolves of Welp, I can see that there's some effort of aid here.
So it seems I shall be moving it to the Help forum. Carry on being awesome.
Biggest fan of fans,
Liberty~
Definitely sorry for the attention whore thread-jack but it did lead to some very funny posts.
Dudesoft
I accept this new thread placement. I wasn't sure myself where this belongs. Welp seemed an obvious choice, however, the likelihood of actually getting questions related to game making seemed slim.
Great choice, Liberty~swan
Didn't get much of a bell (bangla slang word for attention) opening a new thread and so dudesoft, 'teech mee', 'teech mee', 'teech mee'.

Need a custom battle system, because the default VX system is hideous. Never used scripts before and don't know how to, and so some guide would be nice.

Don't need the TP bar or guard or attack. Looking for a simple turn based battle system including skills, run, hp bar and sp bar. If your surprised by the 'or attack' part then think pokemon.

Need to remove a few thinks from menus:
*formation (may be even items) from over world menu
*attack, guard (and may be even items) from battle menu.
*and only 1 equipment slot instead of 5 (from all menus)

*when a skill requires a specific weapon and the weapon is not equipped the skill is grayed out in the battle menu. Need the words to go away completely. It might not seem like much but thrust me, in what I am trying to cook up its gonna get really annoying.

And thanx in advance
Trihan
When you say you need the words to go away completely, can you elaborate on what you mean by that?
author=Trihan
When you say you need the words to go away completely, can you elaborate on what you mean by that?
Sure

Say there is a skill 'Flash' and the weapon category 'staff' has to be equipped to use it.

If conditions are met this is what will appear every where the skill name supposed to appear. Flash

If conditions are not met this is what will appear every where the skill name supposed to appear. Flash

What I want when the conditions are not met is this.

See nothing, that's exactly what I need. I don't want the skill to be there at all if the correct equipment is not there, can't select it and can't read the description.

What i am trying to do is, there will tons of objects that will grant different skills to different characters, the skills that will be gained by different characters from same object will vary.
Trihan
Ahh, so you need skills to only appear if you have the required weapon category equipped. Yeah, that should be pretty simple, but I'm at work right now so I don't have my RM open to figure out the script. If nobody's given it to you before I get home I'll whip something up and post it for you.
author=Trihan
Ahh, so you need skills to only appear if you have the required weapon category equipped. Yeah, that should be pretty simple, but I'm at work right now so I don't have my RM open to figure out the script. If nobody's given it to you before I get home I'll whip something up and post it for you.
Gee thanx. I can't script although I have been learning C language (that's a lie, learning C has recently come to a complete halt), after I become fluent at C could you may be help me get my hands dirty with Ruby, I will probably need about half a year more before I am done learning C.
Dudesoft
I'll leave this with Trihan, my capable apprentice. Unless you want me to actually write a script that will explode your game.
Pages: first 123 next last