LET'S PLAY! FINAL FANTASY IV EDITION! ALSO A GENERAL FINAL FANTASY DISCUSSION TOPIC

DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND, THE LET'S PLAY THREAD WILL NOW ASSUME THE GBA VERSION OF FINAL FANTASY IV. IT IS AN ALL AROUND BETTER GAME AND I'M MAKING THE SWITCH WHILE I'M STILL EARLY IN THE GAME. TRUST ME. IT'LL BE FINE.

Hookay. This is going to be my very first Let's Play thread on this forum, and well, any forum ever. Just so ya know.

The first item on the menu is a classic that I'm sure most of you are familiar with: Final Fantasy IV. A lot of you probably played it as well, but hey, seriously, how long ago was it really? Do you feel like playing it again right at this moment? If both the answers to these questions were "A really long time ago" and "Not really" (I know that didn't make sense, shut up), then today is your lucky day, because I'm playing it so you don't have to.

First, a little info on today's goodie. Final Fantasy IV was developed and published by Squaresoft in 1991, for the Super Nintendo. Obviously the forth title in the Final Fantasy series, curiously the game was marketed as Final Fantasy II outside of Japan, causing mostly everyone to miss out on the other two for almost ten years. Why? Apparently financing, scheduling, marketing boo boos and other sorts of retarded. Anyway, most of you are probably already aware of that and probably don't care.

Also, if this is your first time witnessing a Let's Play thread, realize that this is an interactive endeavor. Sure, you'll mostly be watching me play the game as such, but it's far from just a spectator event where you post "Looks good" and keep on going. Treat this as a general Final Fantasy IV discussion thread! Comment specifically on my playing style and what I'm doing. Give me tips and advice on what to do! Talk amongst yourselves! Make it fun!

So without further ado...Let's Play Final Fantasy IV!

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/1303/?post=20119#post20119

Chapter 1: It Begins
Chapter 1.5: It Begins. No, Seriously, It Does This Time
Chapter 2: Killing People and Getting Away With It
Chapter 3: The Little Girl, Old Man, and the Octopus
Chapter 4: Gettin' Spoony
Chapter 5: Foolin' With Fabul
Chapter 6: Defenders of the Realm
Chapter 7: The Legend: Part One
Chapter 7: The Legend: Part Two

Chapter 8: Baron Again

HEEEERRRRREEEE COMES THE GRAVY TRAIN. Actually, this is the last in the trend of extremely boring Final Fantasy title screens, with FF5 having the cool watery glass effect and FF6 having the ultra cool stormy night over Narshe thing going on.

The game starts right off the bat, with the Red Wings in flight and proper formation over the lovely Mode 7 landscape. No long exposition, no drawn out sequences, no bullshit. Just some airships and all you know is that they're on their way to/from wrecking someone's shit. This is good. And yes, fellow RPG Makers, I'm talking to you. Hint hint.

About to arrive? Where, pray tell?

Fuck yeah it is.

FLASHBACK EXPOSITION! See? You can tell by the piss yellow tint! So apparently this is the event that the bitch ass crewmember was previously bitching about.

The Black Mage is the first to get his staff shoved up his ass.

And of course the White Mage does her best pirate impression.

"His perverse lust for shiny objects finally sated, our intrepid Dark Knight decides to celebrate his victory by performing fellatio on the captured Crystal in front of the entirety of Mysidia."

Our Dark Knight responds to this very logical question by looking downwards and walking out the door. Because its what the cool kids do when presented with life's tough questions.

Hey, it's that bitchass insubordinate crewmember again. Thankfully, our Dark Knight shuts his ass up good. Why can't we court martial this punk or even better; throw him overboard?

I remember playing this game on the SNES and it was too er...challenging for me at the time. Maybe I should give it another go or maybe I'll just look in here from time to time. :P
That's what I'm here for, baby.
... I was expecting much longer from an LP thread. Not that I have an account on SA or anything yet. I know most LP threads to go through a whole entire section first, though. You could've at least gone to the crazy exposition after CEHCIL and Kain leave Baron.

But, good nonetheless. I love the black mage comment. xD
author=trance2 link=topic=1303.msg19750#msg19750 date=1213210835
... I was expecting much longer from an LP thread. Not that I have an account on SA or anything yet. I know most LP threads to go through a whole entire section first, though. You could've at least gone to the crazy exposition after CEHCIL and Kain leave Baron.

But, good nonetheless. I love the black mage comment. xD

You're absolutely right. I wanted to test the waters, though, see how things go down. Realize this is a first for me, though! The upcoming sections will be much longer from now on, I'm getting started on it right now.
Hehe, your commentary gave me some chuckles.

I too noticed it was a tad short, but you already explained that, plus playing through FF4 (none of this 2 malarky) is gonna take some time.

So is anyone allowed to do a Let's Play topic or is this a thing that just you want to do?
I think transcribing some of the dialogue would be helpful.

Example:

Possessing the crystal is an essential factor for our prosperity.
Moreover, his Majesty judged that the Mysadians knew too much about the secret of the crystals.
We are the Red Wings, the air force of the Kingdom Baron!
The Royal Command is absolute.

It saves posting a bunch of screenshots that aren't any different from the others (nobody has moved, there hasn't been any real change to the scene) which means quicker loading time and less bandwith usage.
Ho ho ho! Finally it's up! Great work so far. Ok, yeah, it's short and I expected longer from the first post...but there is still much more to come! So far, though, I've given a few laughs. I think the real discussion will begin once you finally set out from Baron and head to the Mist Cave.
NOW WITH BIGGER TEXT!

The conversation is cut short by some monsters coming out of nowhere.

The odds look grim, three Float Eyes vs. Cecil!? HOW EVER WILL HE SURVIVE?!

Like this. Of course, that's only the first wave...

Five damage? Seriously?

So I gave him the shocker, baby. Two in the pink.

"No!"

This is a mainstay for RPG worlds, if you see more mutant squirrels or goblins or whatever the fuck than there were before, you better update your insurance, because shits gonna do down.

Hey, we're home! Check the mail and get the newspaper out of the driveway.

So this asshole Baigan greets us at the door.

That they were helpless, just like I said. What're you, retarded?

Of to see the dude who runs this joint, I guess. See those treasure boxes enclosed in that wall?

You would make me wait outside, asshole. I'm gonna drag my ass across your carpet, too. Now what?

Instigatin', causin' drama.

You're welcome. Asshole.

Aww, that's just fucked up. Off to the unemployment office I guess.

Oh, I guess not. He also gives us a package as well, it's probably full of whatever cocaine that makes everyone here a whack job.

Introducing Kain. Kain is the origin of many current Final Fantasy mainstays, in terms of characters, gameplay, and conventions and tropes of the series. A lot of things started with Kain. Dragoons? Kain. Dragoon related characters? Kain. The Jump skill? Kain. Being a dick? Kain. Yes, Kain. Kain just kinda busts in right here and tries to defend my cause, but his ass gets busted down jobless as well. Hey, maybe we can pick up our welfare checks together!

What makes you so sure of that, Sherlock? Has this ever happened before? Are you demoted on a regular basis or something? Fuck you, Kain. Anyway, I get control of Cecil and proceed to explore the castle.

:-*

KAIN AND CECIL, SITTING IN A TREE, M-A-S-T-E-R-B-A...

Another comment that can be twisted around sexually.

Remember these? I got a Tent, 300 Gil, and a Cure1, which is like a Potion basically.

Oh, ok. It's not I won't be coming back later or anything. Ever.

Who's this bitch

Introducing Rosa. Cecil's romantic significant other and main female character of Final Fantasy IV. Notable for being the very first in a long line of "White Mage-esque healer type soft spoken but strong willed gets kidnapped a lot" female love interest for Final Fantasy main characters and RPGs in general. It started with Rosa, love her or hate her. Especially notable for being pretty much the only romantic interest of all the FF's that was already in an established relationship even before the game started.

"Anxious? More like anxious for my Dark Sword in your quiver, baby."

Fuck yeah you will. Continuing the tour...

...leads us to the dungeon, where the Mysidian prisoners reside, where they say dumb things that is probably somewhat indicative of why they were stupid enough to get captured in the first place. No shit it isn't just jewelry, that's why we took it.

And finally for a while, introducing Cid. While not the first Cid in terms of the whole "Mechanically inclined love of airships" Cid, he is the first that becomes a party member down the road. And also has a very large beard.

"Well, Rosa was giving me head while I was joyriding it the other day, and uh...it crashed in a ditch in Damcyan. My bad."

I...really don't understand what you thought was going to happen. Cid goes off somewhere after this, and its off to the barracks.

What is this, the Gay Brigade? Anyway, off to my own quarters.

Yeah, sorry about the sheets, Rosa's a squirter.

Totalitarianism happened, that's what.

Ease my internal pain, Rosa. Come over here and gimme dem tits.

AKA, a punk ass bitch.

The next morning, I link up with Kain, off to the land/village of Mist. However, Kain suggests that we stop by the town first to get suited up.

ROLL OUT

SUMMARY OF SCROLLING TEXT: Everything that happened so far.

And thus completes the prologue of the game. Here's where the game of Final Fantasy IV truly begins. I hope this entry was long enough for everyone, let me know whether to make it longer or shorter for the next entry, and I'll get it started pretty soon.

POST THOUGHTS FOR THIS ENTRY: Phew! This is just the first leg of our journey! I think I got off to a decent start, especially considering that this is my first Let's Play ever. It helps to listen to music while you do it, it makes things flow much smoother. I also realized while listening to music that Alicia Keys looks a lot like my mother, so much for those fantasies I sometimes entertain; now I'm just going to seem like I have an Oedipus complex or something. Shit.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I think it was a fun read. Keep it up.
What does "Rosa's a squirter" mean?
author=Blitzen link=topic=1303.msg19768#msg19768 date=1213219645
What does "Rosa's a squirter" mean?

Wuzzah what?
I like it when you're funny, but clean it up a bit, is my point.
I was thinking the same thing, actually. I just hopped on the "Sexual innuendo train" and just stayed there until the end of the post. Although as I look back on it that was the only really dirty joke in the mix, and most of them involved Rosa. Ack, I'll have to find another gimmick when she joins up, but hey, not so bad so far. Besides, when the game is barely started, I really can't get to the meat of anything, like the battles, towns, and any actual gameplay. Don't worry, more and better is to come.
Oh man I like this idea but the sex jokes are NOT funny. Squirting jokes? Seriously??

Otherwise cool man keep it up.
Hell yeah they aren't funny. I mean seriously, squirting jokes? Get real. But yeah, like I said, just testing the waters. I'm glad that people are actually reading it to even catch stuff like that. Thanks!

Keep discussing, guys. This takes quite a bit of work and it's refreshing to see people talking in this thread instead of just "yeah dude looks good". Feel free to actually talk about the game, treat this like you would a Final Fantasy IV Discussion Thread. Feel free to comment about my playing style, where I'm at in the game, what I should do, and talk amongst yourselves as well. Make this worth the while.

PREVIOUSLY ON FINAL FANTASY IV:

Scroll up.

Alright, I just woke up, and I'm just gonna go ahead and start on the next chapter.

Last time in our adventure, we were right outside Baron. We're on our way to the village of Mist to deliver a package, but first let's go to town and check it out.

The front gates of the aptly named Town of Baron. Let's check this place out.

Normally my first stop in RPG's is the weapon shop, but lo and behold, the door is locked. Thanks a lot. Off to the next point of interest.

Fuck yeah I do.

The pretty lady turns out to be a "dancer". I put dancer in quotes because in the Japanese version, all of these "dancers" you meet in the game are strippers. Unfortunately you can't stuff their bras full of Gil notes.

Hey look, a waterfall. Let's slide down it.

Going down the waterway lands me this Tent and another one hidden in the water. I've been finding a lot of Tents it seems. Now off to Rosa's house.

She then proceeds to tell us not to get her daughter involved in some shit. Which is pretty interesting considering that uh, I don't care!

I emphasize this by stealing her shit. No, I don't feel bad. However, an Ether is useless to us because Cecil can't use magic (yet) and Kain is about as magically inclined as a chair.

Our next stop is the local item shop. Unfortunately, we're broke as a joke. Seriously, we have a Dark Knight, which is also the Commander of the Red Wings, and the Captain of the Dragoons, and there's only 250 Gil between us? This is some bullshit.

Another interesting locale is the Serpent Road, which links Mysidia to Baron. However, since we stomped Mysidia's shit in not too long ago, they kinda locked us out. (But it's not like we could just fly over there or anything, no siree Bob!)

Hey, what's this big house? You know, one thing I never liked about FFIV was how dry, brown, and dusty all of the towns looked. It's not even the graphical limitations, it's just how all the houses and walls are a depressing shade of dry poop.

It turns out to be Cid's house.

Yeah, dude!

And with that, I decide to blow this popsicle stand and get on with the quest. Let's check our stats, shall we?

Kain is a pretty solid customer. He has excellent accuracy, Willpower, and his Agility is good as well. But, his magic power is completely absent from the equation, so he'll never touch magic.

Cecil is even better statwise. While not having the edge in accuracy, Will, and Agility, his physical stats are better, and he does eventually get magic. Cecil is a pretty rockin' dude. So let's put this theory to practice. Battle time.

First on the menu is some pretty standard Imps and a rat looking thing. Should be easy, right? Now, it seems that Kain has a "Jump" command in addition to his regular attack. Let's try it.

Kain launches himself in the air, and swoops back down at an angle in which is the best Jump animation in all of the Final Fantasy games. This attack kills the Imp instantly and is easily the most powerful option we have right now. Cecil however can't do shit but attack, which is a shame because in some versions of the game Cecil has the Dark Sword ability, which let's him attack all enemies at the cost of some health. Ah well, Cecil is still very solid.

The cave we need to go to is but a short walk away from the town. It turns out to be...

...the very creatively named Misty Cave. Whoa! Shit's bananas.

Not even a few paces in we're told to leave. This is some bullshit right here.

Thankfully, the enemies are incredibly easy, pretty much exactly what was outside with few exceptions.

Crossin' dem bridges. All in all this is an extremely simple dungeon, no tricks, little treasure, and not even many encounters. This is a pretty bad indication of the entire games dungeons, though, because later on some of the dungeons get complicated as hell with some pretty crazy enemies. Later on, I'm going to make my dungeon exploring more interesting by telling you some cool tidbits about this game and Final Fantasy in general. I've been playing it a long time, you see.

Hey, someone's talkin' smack on us again.

Picking "No" pretty much means nothing happens. Picking yes, however...

...Lands us right in the fray with this...mist...thing. It's hilariously weak, taking standard damage from our attacks, and doing what, 5 damage back to us?

Oh shi-

This is what it does when the going gets rough, however. It turns into a fog, and all of your attacks miss it no matter what. Try to hit it anyway, and you get a ice blast to the face, doing quite a bit of damage. Interestingly, the "Don't attack the boss when it does X thing" strategy for an early boss is repeated in FF5, FF6, FF7, and uh...that's it.

Fortunately, it turns back into its wussy dragon form after some time in which we proceeded to pound on it. It dies soon afterwards.

Fuck yeah I did.

The Misty Cave behind us, we're at the door of the actual village of Mist. Easy trip, no?

Ah, shit.

SEE I KNEW IT WAS COCAINE I CALLED IT

Ah, shit.

No, it was by accident. NO SHIT, KAIN!

Cecil, master of redundancy. So it turns out that this village houses Summoners, called Callers in this game. Apparently our mission was to wreck their shit. Mission accomplished, I guess?

Of course, Kain tries to be a dick, and Cecil, not being a dick, stops him from shish-kabobing the child.

Of course Kain was just fucking with us. Of course.

Which is actually feasible and not moronic considering I'm the commander of the Red Wings and my buddy is the Captain of the Dragoons. Either we get some pretty rad help or, considering how much of an ass we've been to other political entities up to this point, get killed on sight. We'll see.

Mark these words, people. This is some serious foreshadowing right here. I'll let you sort it out.

So, we try to take the girl with us on our way out of here...

And this happens. Seriously, a little girl? What, do I have to bribe her with candy? Hahahaha, hahhahahaha!

Oh shit.

Oh, shit.

The entire area is consumed in an earthquake, and just for the record that attack did a lot of damage.

I like how he just assumes the girl is okay after she's lying there motionless. Way to go, Cecil.

And, that concludes this step of our fantastic journey. There are still some burning questions to be answered, however. What caused the change in the Kingdom of Baron and the erratic behavior of the King himself? Why are we gathering the crystals? Why would he send us to wipe out the village of Mist? Where the hell is Kain? What are we going to do now?

Find out next time...when I feel like it.

Liked the commentary on this installment or whatever you want to call it. I think you may be killing the "fuck yeah" thing, though.

Oh, and the "Previously on Final Fantasy IV..." joke gave me a good chuckle.

Seeing that last bit with the village catching fire and the earthquake kind of makes me want to play this game, haha. Luckily, I have you to save me some time! >D
Paloms, and Poroms and Golbez, OH MY!

The bits with Cecil and Rosa in Baron castle made me chuckle, as that's pretty much the same line of thinking I had when I replayed it a few years back.

Can't wait to see what else you have in store.
Thanks everyone! I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Once I get further in the game and more options open up, which will make it more interesting. By then, I'll be asking you guys for input.

Before I get to the next update, though, keep in mind that the more updates I post on the same page, the more difficult and congested it gets for the page to load, due to the sheer number of images. Which is why I need you guys to post and discuss to help move the pages along. I can't have 5-6 updates on the same page, nor can I talk to myself. Discuss, discuss, discuss! It may sound like I'm whoring for posts, but a Let's Play simple cannot operate on a message board without people talking simply due to technical reasons.

So let's get started, what do you think about Final Fantasy IV? Who's your favorite character? What do you like about it? If you never played it, what do you think of it based on what you've seen? Discuss anything.
Wha ha! Great! It's finally on the move. It's a good thing, too, as I like everything in FFIV EXCEPT for the beginning. I don't really know why, but I don't like the begging up to leaving Castle Baron all that much. Not that very...er...'exciting'. >_>

I have to say that I like the SNES and Playstation versions of FFIV out of all of them. I just like the way they look and sound, and even the way everything is colored! There manus are just...classical! PLUS it's the first Final Fantasy I ever played. Ku ku. Yeah, and it was hard as hell back then. So hard, infact, that I couldn't beat Octomammoth for the life of me. <_< Or..maybe it's just that I didn't know what i was doing. Eh.