SHOULD FANON(FAN-MADE) TYPE GAMES GET THEIR OWN SPECIAL SEARCH REQUEST?

Pages: 1
Though there isn't many for sure, but I think it would help sort out which of the games are fanon-based, and which are just original RPG maker/Game Maker games.

This is for people who love fanons mainly for Rpg maker/Game Maker/etc.

Like if you type in Legend of Zelda, but maybe not all zelda games will show up as a example if you did a regular search.

Of course there is unique games like Dragon Fantasy (which I love alot btw).
Never heard the term fanon before, but I could probably add Fangame to the list of genre tags...

While that wouldn't get you specific fan games like Zelda or Megaman or whatever, it would give you a list of games where the developer identified it as a fangame. I dunno if that helps though.
Maybe if we could make lists of those games and place those lists in an easy to find spot?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=kentona
Never heard the term fanon before, but I could probably add Fangame to the list of genre tags...

While that wouldn't get you specific fan games like Zelda or Megaman or whatever, it would give you a list of games where the developer identified it as a fangame. I dunno if that helps though.

It couldn't hurt and is better than nothing!
Making "fangame" a tag seems to make the most sense, yeah.

(It'll give me something to avoid.)
Not all fangames are the spawn of the earth. There have been some releases that are really quality stuff - Blackmmon Prohpecy, Miranda, various DQ fangames and the like.

But I secondthirdfourth a Fangame tag.

Also, a tag for games that aren't English, since we now accept those as well. Might be a good idea~
To me, just about any game can be a fan of an existing game, if it's using rips from that game. If Blackmoon Prophecy is a Final Fantasy fan game, then Balmung Cycle should be considered a Rudra fan game.

The only difference is Blackmoon Prophecy will get tagged as "fan game" (because it has Final Fantasy in the title) and avoided by people with a distaste for fan games, regardless of how good or bad the game actually is; and Balmung Cycle won't be tagged because it does not include the Rudra name in the title, even if it does use Rudra graphics.

For that matter, the Eden Legacy games could be considered a Final Fantasy, Zelda, Pokemon fan game because of the sprites and graphics used.

The point being, before you can tag a project as "fan game" you need to have a criteria that makes it a fan game. Is it simply including the commercial/franchise name in the title? Is it the story and game mechanics? The graphics? Or perhaps a mixture of each?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
maybe fan games are BASED on the real game, you can have a game that uses Rudra graphics but be completely different. Fan games can also be made based on more than 1 game.
I think you might be the only person on earth who classifies any game with ripped graphics as a fangame, amerk.

As for where the line's actually drawn, everybody's going to put it somewhere slightly different. I don't think that the staff here police the other genre tags, though, so it shouldn't be a problem here either. As long as the creator considers it a fangame, and puts that tag on it, then it's working as intended.

e: And yeah, a Non-English tag or whatever could be nice. I don't think many people would be searching for it (they'd probably be more interested in finding games in specific languages rather than "Non-English" as a blanket category), but having that information on a game's page sounds useful.

Although, thinking about it, maybe language could use its own field? Nothing fancy, just a little box for text so people can be specific.

e²: vvv I know that's a joke and all, but that would be a nice thing to have at some point down the road. If we have a tag for non-english games, people might want to exclude things under that tag from their searches.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
If this is added, would it also be possible to filter games with a specific tag from search results?
It wasn't a joke. We have games on the forum that aren't in English so I feel we need a tag of some type so that people can look for them if they want without having to look through the other 5000 or so games on the site.

Even if we have a separate tagging area to set language or a check box for non-English.
The joke bit was about Sai's post (about excluding things from searches). See the arrows?
The only time it can really be considered a fan game is (like Adon said) if it's based on a real game, which is generally determined through purpose and setting. If somebody comes up with a remake/rehash/sequel/spin-off to Final Fantasy VI using the same environment/setting/characters, then I'd consider it a fan game.

If somebody hands me a completely new game that has nothing to do with any of the current Final Fantasy titles, and still slaps the FF name on it, I'm less inclined to think it was a fan game of Final Fantasy so much as a game that was inspired by Final Fantasy.

That was pretty much the point I was getting at previously. However, why the sudden need to tag these games is beyond me. Either play it or don't.

I do agree about the Non-English tag, though. There's nothing so heartbreaking as finding a game you really want to play and then realizing you can't because it's not in English.
As I said before, where any one person draws the fangame line matters about as much as where any one person draws the line for any other genre or style -- that is, not at all. If you consider your game an action adventure RPG, go hogwild and tag it as one. If you think your game's a fangame, then go ahead with that, too. It's all subjective, so I don't think we need to put down any hard rules about what is and isn't x.

However, why the sudden need to tag these games is beyond me. Either play it or don't.

You're right. Why tag anything?

Necessary or not, this forum does have a system for tagging a game with certain genres and flavours and a search system that draws from it. It's just good practice to make it as comprehensive as you can, and enough people seem to deal in fangames that it wouldn't be a waste.
Okay, that makes sense. For some reason I was reading this thread as as a requirement to tag fan games as fan games, and was trying to understand at what point it would be considered a fan game. Gotta recheck my reading comprehension skills.
Pages: 1