SHOULD THE PLAYER BE ABLE TO NAME HIS CHARACTER? DOES IT MATTER ALL.

Pages: 1
should the player be able to name his character? Does it matter all.
yes

I love being able to name characters silly things. Even as a kid I'd rename characters after myself and friends (I'd always be whoever seemed cool, like Sabin in FF6). If I can't save the world as Pachinko, NOBONUS, Warf, and Delicious D then... well, I'll just go 'awww' and probably keep playing but I'll be a bit sadder
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I believe it's useful for two reasons:

1. This allows the player to develop a closer connection with their characters if the name chosen is of some significance in their everyday life.
2. This saves the developer time of coming up with additional names which may risk coming across as unintentionally comical or forgettable.

Of course, that's not to say that you shouldn't have some manner of default name for your characters, in case the player isn't creative enough to use names that will encourage them to become more invested in their game's journey.
For me it depends on the game, but most of the time I don't care for it. I prefer pre-set character with defined personality and background. Characters that can be named generally don't have a lot going for them, and are often silent (I dislike this in RPG's). Or if they do talk, they don't say what I want them to say (not as bad as a silent protagonist, but can get annoying).

Actually, I do like being able to name the antagonist in a game. Like the rival in Pokémon games. Because I can name him after someone I dislike, and enjoy beating him up. Or just name him something silly and laugh at it.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
If it's for an RPG that you can develop the character in a lot of detail, then denying the player something as meaningful as a name of their choice can be pretty hurtful.

However, this shouldn't be done in the name of giving the character a "silent, blank personality protagonist" vibe, as I don't think I even know anyone who likes that kind of character. It's just not conductive to modern storytelling.

However, I don't think the choice of naming a character can ever HURT a game, unless the developer takes it too seriously. Look at FFVI/IX for example, where the characters are fully fleshed out and have their own story arcs and default names. Letting the players name them is just a token thing, and mainly just for slipping the player into their favourite character if they wish. Or for repeat plays.

And because who doesn't rename Steiner "Rusty" so he goes around insisting that you stop calling him "Rusty" because his name is "SIR Rusty"! :D
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I called him Shitbag so whenever Brahne calls him she goes "Captain Shitbag!" like he's some kind of demented superhero.

Or there was the time I named the first four protagonists in FF9 Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny.
I always called Steiner Buzz for how much his face reminds me of Buzz Lightyear
Well, it can help distinguish your game's genre from jrpg to western RPG if you want to use it that way. If I recall, the main difference between the two (other than originating in different places) is jrpgs are more story/narrative based while western rpgs are more about you as a person leaping into a scenario, though having nameable characters obviously doesn't make it an instant western rpg. And there are definitely more ways to distinguish the two.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Brady
However, this shouldn't be done in the name of giving the character a "silent, blank personality protagonist" vibe, as I don't think I even know anyone who likes that kind of character. It's just not conductive to modern storytelling.

...funny, because RPGs have moved more and more TOWARDS that in the last decade. It's not Dragon Quest / Breath of Fire / Chrono Trigger style silent hero, though. The main character of a modern style 'blank slate protagonist' game is not really silent - you just get to choose everything he/she says.

And it seems to work. I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'm pretty sure no one dislikes Commander Shepard, right? That's the basic idea of a blank personality protagonist: there's nothing to dislike. The character's never going to resonate with anyone, because it's going to be invisible. It's a non-character - the player is the real character, and the guy on the screen is just an interface. But that keeps anyone from quitting because they don't like the main character.

That said, while I can see the appeal of the blank slate character from a marketing point of view, I dislike it from an artistic point of view. It's much harder for me to connect with a story if it's happening to a silent cardboard cutout instead of a living character with feelings and history. And a character's name is actually a very important part of them, so if you have a name you think works really well, don't be afraid to make it unchangable.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Nono, I don't mean your Mass Effect/Dragon Age protagonists where you can choose the characters actions; I'd have put that into the first category, where the player gets to choose everything about the character.
I mean I get that, and don't have a problem with it; it's just storytelling for the sake of immersion for the player, ideal for RPGs. Can be great when done well.

What gets my balls in a twist is the characters that have set actions and choices and are otherwise unaffected by player choice, yet are silent. Think more Gordon Freeman or Link, where the character just blankly stares at everyone when they're being talked to.
Always named my Final Fantasy characters Stu, Pete, Ann, Ugly. :)

It depends on the game. If you have a character-driven game, then no. It ruins the immersion of playing and watching a character go through their life, facing trials and working towards their goals. Especially when the characters interact with and/or reference each other a lot in-game.

For silent heroes, I'm not as fussy, and in light-hearted games I've no issue, but there's just something about seeing Cloud called something ridiculous ('Mabcro'... as my mother named him during her playthrough ;.;) that just stings.
Probably because we got to know the character and learn to love them.

...That said, there are certain games where I'll rename certain characters. (Celes to Misty, for example.) There are other games where I won't, though (Breath of Fire has to have a Ryuu.)
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Just remembered one thing that pisses me off as well! :D
As much as I do like the notion of letting you name characters in fully character-developed games (FFVI/IX), this only really works in text-only games.

When you come to FFX, they let you rename Tidus to whatever they want, then they go out of they way to make sure that his name never, ever, ever comes up in game. Now unless there's some weird conspiracy theory abuot why Tidus' name must never be spoken aloud lest the world explode, it just comes across as the developers trying to avoid your custom name from causing problems, while at the same time preventing you from ever getting to see your custom name in action. S'pointless. Might as well just force you to stick with Tidus.
Personally, I don't really mind it much. I do like the option to name your characters whatever you want..though I almost always just pick the default names anyway, as I also like to fully enjoy the story~

(Figured I'd just throw in my two cents with this, from Shadow Hearts.)
author=Brady
Just remembered one thing that pisses me off as well! :D
As much as I do like the notion of letting you name characters in fully character-developed games (FFVI/IX), this only really works in text-only games.

When you come to FFX, they let you rename Tidus to whatever they want, then they go out of they way to make sure that his name never, ever, ever comes up in game. Now unless there's some weird conspiracy theory abuot why Tidus' name must never be spoken aloud lest the world explode, it just comes across as the developers trying to avoid your custom name from causing problems, while at the same time preventing you from ever getting to see your custom name in action. S'pointless. Might as well just force you to stick with Tidus.

This is also in Mass Effect when you get to give Shepard a first name at character creation. However, nobody calls him anything but "Shepard" anyways.
Pages: 1