CHOCO'S ART FOREST(RENTING FROM FAT CHOCOBO)

Pages: first 12 next last
Hello everyone :)

Recently I've been dabbling a bit in art and to be specific the "Chibi"(:3) style. I would love some feedback on them since I'm only starting and feedback would be greatly appreciated . This is some of the work of done so far:(Not a lot ;w;)

Chibi Pikachu! Or as Mawk said...Pikafish!(Don't know why though XD) :3

Some sword wielding chick! Don't ask me why I wanted to draw this..I just did (First human chibi I drawed ^w^)

Is that our teenage hero crying :3? I wonder why~

Just a surprised character :D

Some guy I drew, he's receiving a compliment :3

A Neko person :3

A Happy Chibi~

That's all for now, I'll be updating the thread as I make more

Thank you for reading this thread :3 I hope my drawing didn't hurt your eyes >.<
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
My advice is to KEEP DRAWING. Don't stop for a few hours. I am liking what I see. There's a style developing here. Honestly, keep drawing. That is the secret to drawing.
Keep these suckers comin'!
I never did see the "knife-wielding" chick before. Looks rather nice. I like her little cute "skull bow" on her head. Nice! ^^
you seem to be pressing very firmly on the paper. be nicer to your pens!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Aside from just practice, the only sound advice I can offer is to start making many light, smaller lines and sketch it into the shape you desire instead of holding down the pen and moving it as a single line. My apologizes if you're already doing that. I would also strongly suggest using a pencil on loose paper so that you can just erase something that doesn't look right instead of doing the entire piece over.

Enclosed is a simple example of something I never draw...
author=Corfaisus
Aside from just practice, the only sound advice I can offer is to start making many light, smaller lines and sketch it into the shape you desire instead of holding down the pen and moving it as a single line.

no. this is really bad practice and will cripple your ability to make smooth, continuous lines. it'll mask your mistakes a bit by making the lines really messy and thick, but that's all.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=mawk
author=Corfaisus
Aside from just practice, the only sound advice I can offer is to start making many light, smaller lines and sketch it into the shape you desire instead of holding down the pen and moving it as a single line.
no. this is really bad practice and will cripple your ability to make smooth, continuous lines. it'll mask your mistakes a bit by making the lines really messy and thick, but that's all.

Any problems this poses can be fixed during the inking process. And with a steady hand, you should be able to keep the lines from being "thick", unless you're making continuous circles.
I can tell you're a beginner, and this technique of yours is something that I've seen a lot of beginners touting as if they've discovered an amazing secret. I should know! I was one, and I did the same thing! however, in the long run it only winds up hurting you. regardless of the final product, I don't want you encouraging shortcuts that will actively impair this person's development as an artist.

you mention a steady hand, and that's exactly the opposite of what making these tiny, stuttering lines will accomplish. there are a lot of things you can do to cover things up, but when you get right down to it an artist needs to be able to make smooth, continuous lines.

but don't just take my word for it!
Corfaisus
author=mawk
I can tell you're a beginner, and this technique of yours is something that I've seen a lot of beginners touting as if they've discovered an amazing secret. I should know! I was one, and I did the same thing! however, in the long run it only winds up hurting you. regardless of the final product, I don't want you encouraging shortcuts that will actively impair this person's development as an artist.

you mention a steady hand, and that's exactly the opposite of what making these tiny, stuttering lines will accomplish. there are a lot of things you can do to cover things up, but when you get right down to it an artist needs to be able to make smooth, continuous lines.

but don't just take my word for it!

Not to turn this into one of those "internet" moments, but please share an example of your own work for the benefit of this discussion. You must understand that it's simply more efficient to put forth an effort to support your own opinion with actions.
mawk
I can tell you're a beginner

Also, I never claimed to be anything of an expert.

author=mawk
click the link or don't
You cannot tell me these are long continuous lines. This is literally the only thing I'm arguing.

EDIT:
author=mawk
you should know better than to respond to advice with "oh, yeah? where's your work, then?"

I will admit, I'm usually pretty civil and mature, but something managed to strike me deep down and, in a moment of weakness, I lashed out. Understand that I still didn't intend for it to come across as some whiny, childish "I'd like to see you do better." as I despise such actions, simply as a request for an example of your own work.
it's cool! I never claimed you claimed to be anything. don't worry about it; practically everyone working in art is a beginner in some way.

and I literally just posted something for you to learn from. if you don't want to make this into one of those 'big deal internet moments', you should know better than to respond to advice with "oh, yeah? where's your work, then?" especially since I've already given you a proof.

from here, I would recommend ElliotWyvern focuses more on smoothing out his lines (the practice regiment I linked in my last post is excellent for that! c/o PentagonBuddy) and learning about the underlying form of the things he draws. draw from life, and pay attention to light and shadow! think of things in terms of their 3D shapes whenever possible. it's difficult to get the hang of at first, but don't get discouraged.

if you get discouraged I will eat you.

e: I literally gave you work to support what I said. click the link or don't. I'm not posting anything of my own until I get this scanner working. and that's a "can't", not a "won't".
dunno why you're just editing your post over and over again. you've already taken out some things I responded to! isn't that a bit dishonest? just make a new one. like I'm doing here:

you'll notice, though, that the strokes in that piece you linked are quite long. no one's advocating drawing the entire outline of a figure in one go. this practice I mentioned, however, is essential for capturing curves correctly. what you're seeing is long, continuous lines layered on long, continuous lines.

the artist is able to do the curve from hip to knee in a single stroke. compare that to your Kirby and tell me honestly that they're both employing the same technique.

if you'd like to discuss this more, though, I recommend you PM me. this is Elliot's art topic and we're sidetracking it.
Thanks everyone for all the feedback ^.^

Actually I use a pencil then I usually go over the outline with a pen and do the area's that need to be colored with pen(Like Pika's ears :3).The Sword Chick I didn't actually use a pen but instead a lead pencil instead of using my usual pencil(since it died ;w;). Yes my issues at the moments are lines and I've already started to read a few tutorials since I drew the sword chick. I'll check out some of the links you guys gave me and will return with a better sketch :D

And on this post I bring a new piece :3

I wonder why out teenage hero is crying :3~ I tried to give more attention to my lines after doing some tutorials on it ^.^
oh, that's not so bad then. I've killed more pens than I care to admit from just pressing too hard, so I feel like I need to warn people not to do the same.

pencils, though? go hogwild. they can take it. (though the paper, on the other hand...)
Lol, I also usually break pens when drawing with them >.<

I enjoy using pencils more though ^w^

And I have MOAR~

Just a surprised character :D

Some guy I drew, he's receiving a compliment :3

A Neko person :3
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
To the earlier debate about lots of little likes or whatever... I tend to agree with Mawk on this one. For a clean, slick line, you shouldn't be grasping at straws. You should have built towards it in the sketching period. Contrary to this, my colleague (name unmentioned) tends to 'scribble' out a shape as if everything is a 5 minute life drawing session. As a result, she's insanely difficult to ink, and even in the hands of my teacher's pen, the final product is always unpolished.

If you're in a hurry to copy anatomy in a short span of time, scribble away. While doing nude sketches, I adhere to scribbling too. For final product type stuff... Always just aim toward what you intend to draw.
Or, if you insist on scribbling, do a final pencilling to find the final lines BEFORE inking.

Edit, sorry.... Shouldn't contribute to debate in a drawing thread. My bad.
Finally after lots of practice, I have something to show and I think I've improved somewhat, at least with the stuff that bothered me >.<

Well I haven't shown anything new in a while, but this was a fan art I did for Media Madness Month:

The left arm is too short >.> I've fixed it but I don't have anything to take a picture of the new one(My phone is broken ;w;)
Yay so I've been working on stuff besides chibis

Mostly anatomy so I can move on to more anime/manga-like art.

First face ^.^

And the one I did today, I totally messed up the natural folds >.< XD
I've been continuing with my art :P Here is some of my latest work(in order of time~)

I was just practising shading hair, didn't really give attention anywhere else XD

My main character for my game! Casting... some sort of spell.... I wanted to try doing something like this XD;;

So here's two my ocs that I'm gonna use in my game, Lucina Stragose and Ein Kyris :3 I made these "circles" that signifies their environments. Those black dots around Lucina is snow that is falling and crud, I can't draw environmental objects XD
I hope I have improved somewhat >.<
Some new stuff~
(In order of date done again :3)

I really messed this up ;_;

Well... my friend told me I should try this, A guy holding a gun to his eye and after a lot of erasing and checking a few references here it is, lol it's a bit different than what I usually do(okay a lot >.<; ) but I think it came out okay XD
OWO DIGITAL ART 
 Never thought I would do it XDDD

This one below this is Recoloured lineart I did, check the deviation page for info on the lineart used.

Pages: first 12 next last