HIATUS AND CANCELLED GAMES

Pages: 1
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
I'm not a game maker and really know nothing about the creation side.

But it's so frustrating when I see a game that is on Hiatus or Cancelled or simply was started two years ago with no updates :(

I love this site and also playing the games here. Yes, they are free and that helps :)

But when I see what looks to me like a really interesting game with great screen shots I feel like I really found a game I could play and enjoy.....then I see the Hiatus or cancelled notice and my world comes crumbling down around me....is that a little dramatic ?? :)

Ever since my brother hooked me on the original Legend of Zelda I've been playing these games.

Please, if your thinking of going on Hiatus or not finishing your game, think about game players like myself and finish your damn game or you could be in a lot of trouble. Think about me coming to your house in the middle of the night and doing something ruthless to you. :)

OK, I've said my piece so have a great day.
Y'see, this is the thing though mate, during those two years, people may have developed other ideas, or didn't like the way the game was heading, so it's either they end up scrapping it or just build an entire new game together.

Another reason is because people may also have school/collage/jobs and don't have enough motivation or some other means that prevent them from wanting to continue working on their game, and lastly another reason it may be on hiatus or cancelled is because of the harsh criticism it receives and, that too, can become a major downer for some game developers.

Just saying "Hey, you're not allowed to cancel games!" doesn't mean people will just go back to working on their games for you, think of the game maker as well, they have lives of their own mate.

Well, that's my two cents. :P
Try working for Social Media and/or Tech Support...

...It's unavoidable for you to Hiatus your game due to many factors. :v

author=Linkis

But it's so frustrating when I see a game that is on Hiatus or Cancelled or simply was started two years ago with no updates :(

I love this site and also playing the games here. Yes, they are free and that helps :)

But when I see what looks to me like a really interesting game with great screen shots I feel like I really found a game I could play and enjoy.....then I see the Hiatus or cancelled notice and my world comes crumbling down around me....is that a little dramatic ?? :)

Ever since my brother hooked me on the original Legend of Zelda I've been playing these games.

Please, if your thinking of going on Hiatus or not finishing your game, think about game players like myself and finish your damn game or you could be in a lot of trouble. Think about me coming to your house in the middle of the night and doing something ruthless to you. :)

I like this post, I like it a lot!

Except...you know, the whole the middle of the night ruthless part.

...Guys, seriously though? This is like the greatest thing ever!
I think I'm gonna print this out and place it next to my other greatest motivation in life.

So the next time when you guys are thinking about cancelling your game or putting it on Hiatus, think about Linkis!

Friggin' Linkis!!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Think about the gamers? Oh, aren't you an entitled little beauty. If real life intervenes or if something just no longer carries that spark, no one should be forced to throw all else aside so that you can play one of the many games out there just because you want this particular game more than anything else.

Get real.

author=Linkis

That pretty much sums it up. You see, even when stuff is put on hiatus or cancelled because "fuck this game, I'm done!", it still hurts to have to call it off on something that you've fully invested yourself into. To some small degree, it's like you're taking a piece of yourself and ripping it off like a band-aid. To speak as though this doesn't matter and that it's some sort of sin to not give people everything they want for free is bullshit of the highest caliber.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Another thing to keep in mind is that a majority of this community, as well as any RPG Maker community make games as a non-profit hobby. They make the games because they want to, not because they have to. If they HAD to make a game there would be much stronger motivation for completing a project, but for most developers on this site that isn't the case. Life happens, bro.
Look, OP. I understand where you are coming from. But then again, you aren't seeing things from a wide angle. Try taking Calculus and Computer Science at the same time to see how much free time you have left. If you are still in high school and not a senior yet, I can see why you would think that way. :O

I am not someone who would frequently update my game, because I have a tendency to post a huge update at once. I don't really like putting a game in hiatus, too. Either cancel it completely or just leave it as a work in progress. But then again, most of the games that I see being cancelled or on hiatus are usually amateur games with nothing special. There are exceptions, of course. :P
author=Red
author=Linkis

I like this post, I like it a lot!

Except...you know, the whole the middle of the night ruthless part.

...Guys, seriously though? This is like the greatest thing ever!
I think I'm gonna print this out and place it next to my other greatest motivation in life.

So the next time when you guys are thinking about cancelling your game or putting it on Hiatus, think about Linkis!

Friggin' Linkis!!

I feel that this is what you should take away from Linkis' post instead of "HOW DARE YOU GUYS DON'T FINISH YOUR GAMES SO THAT I CAN PLAY THEM!!!"

I know I would feel better just thinking about people crying themselves to sleep, as they writhe in agony, waiting for me to finish my game...wait, that came off wrong.
author=Mr_Detective
Look, OP. I understand where you are coming from. But then again, you aren't seeing things from a wide angle. Try taking Calculus and Computer Science at the same time to see how much free time you have left. If you are still in high school and not a senior yet, I can see why you would think that way. :O
I am pretty sure Linkis is around 69 years old.

Anywho, I don't think this is entirely serious. More like a rant about unfinished games than a threat. And we rant about this very subject all the time, and even do things to try to promote people finishing their games (like, I still remember the debates we had about Featured Games and whether or not to restrict them to completed games. We opted to restrict them with the intent of motivating people to finish games.)

tbh, it's way better these days with regards to completed games. we have more than ever now! I don't know if it is because more people are completing a greater percentage of their games, or if we just have more people in general (thus the absolute number of completed games are going up even if the ratio of completed to unfinished games remain the same). Either way we are in a new golden age, imho. (silver age...?)

Have you seen this game? http://rpgmaker.net/g/zelda

Don't get too frantic, this hiatus doesn't mean cancelled. I'll get around to it some day. Plus there's some demos to play. Try them all, they are quite different.
There's also the other factor that people are making shorter / small in scope games. The latest Phantom Legacy was shorter than most large RM projects but I would argue with good reason. You can complete it in less time and revise instead of adding new content etc.

The only golden age is that we have a database site for RPG Maker instead of waiting for GW to phoenix down itself like the old forum dark ages.
Just learn to appreciate the Completed games that much more.
If it makes you feel better, I'm coming back to my games after being on hiatus for pretty much 3 years! Slow going but steady so far...
If it helps, I’ve certainly noticed – at least for this month – that a lot of completed projects that were supposedly on major hiatus managed to get finished in the past week or so: Phantom Legacy, Fey and even Super RMN World! So I guess that means that this is truly a good sign of things to come.
And that's why I don't put up any profiles on anything whose completion isn't imminent.

I hate feeling like I've let fans down.

Hell, I have a massive guilt trip that I haven't updated my blog in 2 months, but between work, and then finally enjoying a break before school, and now starting what feels like a school semester straight from hell itself... ;_; I haven't had the time or energy.

So yeah, that's why I don't put up a profile for stuff. Why bother if release is gonna be in months/years? Your original hype is going to be looong gone. :s
Pages: 1