GRANDIA 3 -- WHAT'S WITH THE HATE?

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
okay so i've seen a lot of hate for Grandia 3 over the past few years, but it's always interested me because it's an rpg series i know nothing about and, like, it just looks interesting. i guess. whatever, that's not the important thing here.

the important thing here is that i finally started playing it last week and
this
game
is
hella
rad

so this game came out a few years after final fantasy x, a year after dragon quest viii, and two years after tales of symphonia. those are big names, and this game sort of... like... man.

if you take the ingenuity of dragon quest viii's dungeons, but subtract the punishing length/lack of saving, then mix a tales game's battle system with ffx's ctb battles, but make it SUPER-UBER-FAST, and lower the budget like 25%, you have grandia 3. it's a fast-paced romp with an emphasis on ADVENTURE and EXPLORATION and CUSTOMIZATION and FUCKING AWESOME BATTLES.

so... the story. it gets a lot of flak, but you know what? it makes sense, the characters have motivations, there's a lengthy and non-tsundere romance sub-plot, the villain is actually kind of interesting after first being just MUHAHAHAHA (which parallels nicely with Alfina's development over the course of the game), the guardians are badass-looking, and... just... you know what? it's not bad. i'm not about to praise it as high literature, but it keeps the ball rolling and takes you to exciting places to traverse.

the dungeons have a ton of side-paths, simple puzzles, obstacles, mega-enemies, and loot to uncover. the music is reused a lot but fits the general theme of an area, and properly special places get their due. there's something comforting about a ruin feeling like a ruin through music, y'know? they tend to look totally different anyway. (the two shots below are from the same dungeon, i'm not being ironic here.)

and when i say "a ton of loot," i mean it. there are so many skill books, mana eggs, weapons, etc. to deck out your party with. everybody has options, either personal (weapon, armor, limit breaks) or universal (anybody can equip any magic or passive abilities). it even has mana egg fusion, so you can merge eggs together to get the spells you want.

and, just... the battles. fuck. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

this game is challenging, in all the right ways. you have a shitton of options available to you to design your party as a cohesive unit. who's going to silence the mages? who's going to focus on cancelling enemy attacks? who's going to cast gravity to move them all to the center of the field so that Yuki can use whirlwind on them? this is a game where you will be asking yourself these questions, and as you fight well, you'll feel rewarded. big enemies prowling dungeons usually drop lots of money and accessories... just saying.

and then there's the bosses... the BOSSES. i don't even want to talk about them, they're some of the most fun i've had in an rpg since discovered radiant historia.

so... yeah. i know that this is, like, an overly vague bundle of rambling praise. i'm too caught up in the game, i guess. here's a list of reasons why you should try out this highly underrated PS2 game:

-your mom is a playable character
-tons of character individuality and customization (yes, both)
-consistently challenging battles
-engaging dungeons with great loot variety
-feels like a proper adventure, not a drama-fest

here's why you should play for the battles alone:

-again, each of the primary PCs are unique, but also very customizable
-you can cancel enemy attacks -- if it says they're about to cast that paralysis wave, you can stop it
-spells and attacks come in different forms, such as lines, fans, circles, or just bombing the entire playing field
-spells each have their niche and definite use, including stuff like Craze (area berserk) and Fiora (area silence) -- crowd control is improtant
-limit breaks ("special moves") are easy to build up points for, and still feel balanced and rewarding. there's much more than just damage -- there are shields, counter-attacks, mana steals, weapon hit boosters...
-mother breed is one of the best bosses i've ever fought, period

very few games have mastered the art of making a player feel more and more powerful, while also not cheesing through the game with your new awesome +68 sword. grandia 3 does that, all with fast animations, slick menus, and a terrific battle system. 4.5/5 stars from me, no doubt.
I've only played Grandia 2 but the amount of control and awareness you have over enemy attacks and timing are reason enough to carry that out to other RPGs. Like it is one of the few battle systems where I intentionally run into enemies I don't need to fight for grinding purposes or w/e.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
...So what do the people who hate it say?

author=Craze

And what does that mean exactly? Because that's the biggest point I've seen in the game's favor so far.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I only played the first Grandia available on PSN.
I would guess that #3 it somehow deviates from
the formula that encompasses the first game.
Many consider Grandia one of the best RPGs every made.
I have even heard it called the FF killer (I'm not
sure who said that though.)

In my personal opinion the first game was good,
but not as good as FF. The battle mechanics are pretty
solid. The story is pretty light and humorous.
But overall I didn't find the story very impactful and
the game was pretty easy (at least for me.)
…Maybe it’s just a game that everybody loves to hate because they know very little about it or haven’t tried it out for themselves?

Personally, this is the first time I’ve heard anybody hate the Grandia series. Usually most people I talk to either don’t know what Grandia is or have rather fond memories of it. I dunno… Maybe it’s the cool thing to hate now among the Internets and the young people??? -_-
Craze
Isrieri
...So what do the people who hate it say?

That the story is worthless and the characters are obnoxious, mostly.

Isrieri
Craze
And what does that mean exactly? Because that's the biggest point I've seen in the game's favor so far.

There are plenty of cutscenes, but they don't last forever and don't get bogged down in trivial bullshit. Characters react to what's going on in the world around them, instead of simply saying each other's names a lot dramatically. There are cute moments too, and funny ones, but they're not cheesecake; they actually help develop the cast.

There's one optional bit where Alfina and Ulf get into a huff because of eating habits... and it ends a minute or two later, with them calming down and accepting the other's views on eating cute animals. I can respect that kind of writing.
I've had a vested interest in playing the Grandia games for quite some time now. Unfortunately I don't have the spare money to grab them off of eBay at the moment, but I remember me and my friends having fun with Grandia 3 when we were younger. We were too stupid to beat the second boss or something, though, so we never got any further than that.

I'll admit, I haven't heard much outright hate for Grandia 3. Just insane, insane praise for Grandia 2. Seems like it was really overshadowed to me.
I've played the first Grandia, and while it took me a while to warm up to it (I hated Justin with a passion) I warmed up to it once I realized that Justin is actually pretty fucking baller, or at least he ends up being (in short, he has impressive character development). Gameplay wise, it's really genius, with the battle system being really something that flows.

My gripes with the first Grandia is, outside a few dips here and there, eventually the game gets retard easy and I once beat the final boss taking no damage whatsoever without it even getting a turn off. That, and the linearity (there's that dirty word again), while not a bad idea in the context of the game (the first Grandia was about exploration and moving forward), made things seem kinda disposable gameplay wise. It felt like I was being pushed forward with no reason to stop and actually appreciate the scenary.

The second Grandia just made me mad because I played it on PS2 instead of Dreamcast and the PS2 version is all kinds of fucked up.

Craze
grandia 3 is NOT an easy game, so if you're looking to cleanse your palette from defeating the final boss in one turn... yeah

the latest boss just took me forty minutes (on my second try), in a fun but tense battle. it's the sort of game that teaches you its mechanics, then forces you to execute them intelligently to survive. i was making decisions like "well, i can let dahna get hit by that fire spell because i put an anti-fire ring on her after i died last attempt, but I need to cancel the right arm's attack on ulf with yuki's next turn so that he doesn't get cancelled himself, ruining my chance to revive alfina."

also you get NINJA SLIPPERS which when they say "warp movement" seriously mean that yuki is currently teleporting around the battlefield, and if you don't think that's awesome or at least think it's awesome that it's a really useful ability, you can just leave this topic

edit: i'm actually a little scared to think of how difficult the final boss might wind up being, haha. i hope this isn't like dq8 or xenosaga where i had to put the game down for a few days before trying the final boss again and succeeding; i doubt it will be like that though, this game is so well-designed that challenges are hard but always manageable if you're not dumb.
Grandia Xtreme was such a buggy disaster I never bothered with Grandia 3. Plus, it came out in the WoW era (AKA, the dark ages).
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I played Grandia III.

I hate Alfina. Lord Almighty do I hate Alfina. I liked Miranda a lot though.

Then she left me alone forever, with her.
Craze
Jude: this game hasn't been buggy at all from what i've played, which is most of it at this point! so that's good/expected from a professional release.

soli: ...why? I hear that a lot, but I think Alfina's just fine. the I MUST WARM HER HANDS is a bit weird, but i generally find her very likeable, and think her development from "oh gosh i have to get to arcriff" to "well that was horrifying, i hope we can find drak" to "kasndfklasnfklnasdfklnasldn emelious" to "I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND A GOD DAMN THING" to "oh wow hey yuki and i can do this together" is great. I also like Emelious as an extension of her; he helps define and develop her, and she helps the player understand Emelious and his intentions. I have a save file dedicated just to the short sequence when you're in her mind because of how haunting the segment is.
oh god who has 40 uninterrupted minutes to devote to a game in one sitting these days?
Craze
well...

1) it pauses whenever a party member can issue a command (effectively "wait" style of atb)

2) i'm playing it on an emulator, so i can just pause psxe2

3) i just started some new meds last week so i'm pretty much on lockdown anyway so i have a lot of time to play =P
My personal gripe with the game is that it felt rushed. It's good up to a point, and then all the potential it had for a good story/character development seems to get thrown out the window. The gameplay is good though. Who knows, mayby I'll give it another shot down the line.
Nevermind this post. My mistake.
I used to own Grandia III. I enjoyed the hell out of what I was playing until I ran into the impenetrable wall known as the Melc Crystal. But I didn't really have a lot of bad things to say about the game. The combat system is insanely fun, the characters are all charming and interesting, though:
I really wish Yuki's mom stayed in the party

The overarching story was kind of dumb from what I played, but the journey itself was well crafted and enjoyable. My only gripe was that the game seemed to take a huge leap in difficulty right about the time you get free use of the airplane. Maybe I wasn't working the character building systems enough, but that aforementioned boss, Melc Crystal, would mercilessly destroy me, and my stats and equips just didn't seem that great for the point where I was at.

But that's just my experience. I've seen people say the game was actually too easy, so I must have been playing it wrong, heh.

Bottom Line? They need to make a new Grandia. Take everything good about 3, add in a less retarded overall story, and we're good.
Craze
The Melc Crystal is the boss that took me forty minutes this morning, hahaha.

You just have to FUCKING HAMMER one of the arms. I also suggest an anti-fire ring on your lowest-HP character, in my case Dahna. I had Dahna Meteor Strike whenever I could (with a Calamity Egg, so Fire+3/Earth+2, and Mana Spring up), Ulf on canceling duty, Alfina on constant Alhealer (Diamond Dust with Water+3 when possible), and Yuki doing additional canceling, or just combo whamming (Tech+3 Berserker on top of Flash is twelve hits on his combos). Ulf and Dahna had Resurrect, and Ulf had Item Draw in case of emergency healing necessary. I also recommend keeping the boss in its fire form, because wind form has paralysis (and you can only have anti-fire OR anti-wind accessories on your weakling).

Once you get one arm down, the boss becomes much more manageable, and you can let up on some healing/cancelling duty in favor of more limit breaks and offensive spells. If you ever get the game back/still have your save file, I suggest charging up your Orb and either then opening up the battle with Seiba or, if you don't like to use a lot of healers (either Alhealer with Water+2/3 or Item Draw with Cure Powder that you can buy in Bacculan), waiting until somebody dies and then using Yoat to provide instant revival and ongoing healing. Yoat is probably the best Orb in general =P

Also remember that Alfina has Holy Circle (which negates physical damage) and Yuki has ... whatchamacallit, a shield that absorbs a few thousand damage before abating. They cost a shitton of SP, but are very much worth it.

Edit:
My set-up, if you want it. Yuki's sword and Alfina's skill book are from past the Melc Crystal, but the rest is what I had during the battle.

http://imgur.com/a/4J1hA
Oh man, I LOVED Grandia 3 when I got it several years ago. The battle system was what really shined the brightest above all else. I didn't particularly like what they did (or didn't do) with the storyline in the later parts of the game, especially with some characters. Several just disappear without a trace, while others are never expanded upon.

La Ilm, for example. He's just THERE. He's evil and... that's it. You also never hear from or see Kornell after a random part in the story, and I thought that Grau's big "reveal" was full of wat. HE PLANNED IT ALL. Then he dies 10 seconds later.

Other than that, I remember the game-play stayed roughly the same for the entire ride, so I was able to enjoy what time I spent playing it. And the final boss isn't TOO hard, but it puts everything else to UTTER SHAME.

Now I want to play through this again! I just might do that some time in the future. Once I finish Tales of Xillia, that is. =B

I really DO wish they'd continue this series though. I love its battle system, and their stories are usually pretty great, too. Also, if you love 3 I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy 2 just as much. The graphics are (obviously) worse, but I found everything else (story, etc) to be better.
Pages: first 12 next last