NOMINATING COMMERCIAL GAMES FOR MISAOS

Pages: first prev 12 last
Oh. I retract my earlier statement then. That makes a lot of sense.
Surely some noncommercial games are more enjoyable than commercial games, in fact, I'd say that a lot of freely-released games I have experienced far more enjoyment out of than studio games.

Totally.

There were really 2 parts to my statement. Commercial games should be automatically better. They have big budgets, big teams, high end graphics, marketing, testing, everything. But for whatever reason I could never fathom, so many commercial games are crap u.u I really don't understand it. I'm sure part of the process is to have focus groups test the game concept and gameplay, or at least they should bounce around the ideas with fellow employees. How stuff like Superman 64 ever got released is beyond me. There should have been a red flag somewhere in that money trail.

Although, for the most part, every commercial game has better graphics than "indie" games of the time. So anything "we" create now would be compared to ps3(no contest), and anything made 20 years ago can be compared to SNES. Back then there was probably not much of an indie scene at all, text adventures or something. Oh wait, now that I think of it there were freeware games back then. But they did kinda look shitty.

Then also, commercial games are held to a higher standard because of the reasons above. Budget and all that. But even so, many dedicated people create really good free games. Go "us".
Actually yeah, I fully agree 10 times over. Seems I misunderstood the original statement to mean the opposite of what it actually meant. Oops, I do that sometimes :I
Also, some people make non-commercial games because otherwise they have to SELL them, and that is a hassle. The less hassle with my hobby, the better.

I can look into adding a "Best Commercial Game Demo" misao, I suppose. I want to echo Alter Ego in saying that everyone must have the opportunity to play the game in question, so commercial games are excluded just by that factor alone (because YOU GOTTA PAY). But if they have a free demo then maybe they should be considered?

Actually, no, I will stick to No Commercial Games for Misaos. If you want to show the creator of a commercial game some love, buy their game!
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=kentona
If you want to show the creator of a commercial game some love, buy their game!

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this decision! Pay with your wallet not with your heart.
author=kentona
I can look into adding a "Best Commercial Game Demo" misao, I suppose... Actually, no, I will stick to No Commercial Games...

And here I was going to applaud your thoughtfulness for once, but nooo... You've just earned the next jab I send your way, Mister. :|
that's the last time I ever echo you!
Hey guys! I didn't think there was a thread about this ;x thanks for wanting to nominate my project though I really appreciate the support! YANTH wasn't going to be commercial at first, but once I was able to recruit a team then the dream suddenly became possible.

Anyway, everything hedges on the Kickstarter being a success or nobody gets their money until I work it off at the local taco bell ;x I wish going commercial suddenly gave me a big budget but I've been working my ass off to make sure the game looks as good as possible for the launch.

If the game is overfunded, I was thinking of carrying over some of the extra funds to other RM games that really deserve it. The fact that YANTH will be made with RM won't go unnoticed and I want to show people that good games can come out of the engine, not just undercooked ones. Again I really appreciate the support guys and I hope to have it during the campaign!
Is there a Kickstarter on now? hook me up with a 976x160 banner, and a 336x160 one, too.
It's not up yet, we're planning to launch it by the end of the week~ I'll see what I can do about getting you some banners. Should I put "Kickstarter" on them?
author=seita
It's not up yet, we're planning to launch it by the end of the week~ I'll see what I can do about getting you some banners. Should I put "Kickstarter" on them?
Yes, please add the word 'Kickstarter' to them, and maybe even a short description, so I don't have to.
Pages: first prev 12 last