A COLLABORATIVE LINK GAME IN SMBX

Pages: first 1234 next last
Good afternoon gentlemen!

I have been murmuring off and on for like MONTHS (years?) about organizing and running a community SMBX where the focus of the game is to make one for Link! He is quite the unique character in that game, given his sword and movement speeds and fairy-flying and whatnot, so I think this could be fun! I believe, though, that the collaborative game would have to take a different approach than the Super RMN Bros games - a straight up free-for-all would be a disaster with Link.

I haven't really planned anything out (hence this topic), but I did have a few ideas. I am going to put them forth here and hopefully those of you who would be interested could post your own or discuss them here, eventually hammering out a good community event to generate a Link game in SMBX.

1. The game should be FOCUSED and have CLEAR PROGRESSION and a PLOT
-that is, we ought to have areas that are locked at the start of the game that Link must progress to, eventually culminating in a final battle against GANON (or whomever). The game should be a collaborative effort of a team, and not a hodge-podge of levels in a level pack.

2. The game is limited by what SMBX can do
-It's not like traditional Zelda games where you can get items permanently to unlock new areas or abilities or whatever. With SMBX there is no real permanence between levels (beyond your own character's powerups, which are lost once you get hit). The only thing that can really mark progress is a WORLD MAP and TRIFORCE PIECES (aka Stars).

3. Limit the game to Link
-no Mario, Luigi, or Toad. But what if we resprited the Princess to be Zelda? That could be fun. What happens in a 2-player game if there is only 1 character available, anyway? We might HAVE to include Zelda (or at least consider her), is what I am saying :\

4. Levels have to be designed with Link in mind
-Mario levels can have a lot of tight jumps and precision platforming, but that doesn't work as well for Link. Link is more about stabbing things with his sword, or collecting keys and bombs. Levels should reflect his strengths. (plus, Link swimming is just awkward)

5. We all have to use the same graphics pack
-No fucking mario tiles or enemies in a Link game. Everything used has to be resprited or be graphically consistent for this. Link_2112 once sent me a starter pack. It's in my PM history somewhere...

...there are probably other things that I have thought of over the past months that I am forgetting.

With regards to #1, I think we should have distinctive worlds/areas, each with a "temple" as a final level. Given that we are working with SMBX, temples would be locked until we've gathered enough "triforce" (resprited stars), and defeating a temple would unlock a new area. But unlike a mario game, we don't have to do each world in order, so perhaps Link could have access to a few temples, which unlock new areas, but he could the available temples+ares in the order he wants. So the game would semi-linear.

And I may be recalling this incorrectly, but I remember the old NES Zelda II game to have a variety of level types, and I think we should recreate that here. Like, for example we could have simple levels that are just there to progress through right-to-left, like say a forest or a tunnel with no Triforce pieces to collect - you just exit stage-right. Other levels could be more intricate ones where there is a triforce piece to find (or perhaps multiple pieces!). Still other levels could be minibosses, and of course there would be the more difficult temple levels with a boss at the end. There could also be small levels that are nothing but a cave or whatever, but have a heart piece or a fire sword at the end to power up Link. So when people start a level, they will say "I am making a PROGRESSION level for the DESERT area", or "I am making a TRIFORCE level for the FOREST area" or the like.

I think that before anyone even opens up the editor, the participants should discuss what areas are going to be in the game ahead of time, how many triforce pieces there are going to be roughly, and assign important levels like temples and the final level and final boss, and also come up with an outline to the plot (and also distribute the collective graphics pack).

Anywho, that's what I got.

One thing that is hampering me is - I really haven't explored playing as Link so much in SMBX, so I would need some people experienced in SMBX and Link to help me out a lot.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
With the Create-a-Pokemon event running at the same time I probably won't be able to participate much, even though I said I would. I CAN be your guy for playtesting or giving info about Link since I've used him a lot and even developed a game built around him.

One comment I have, however:
-It's not like traditional Zelda games where you can get items permanently to unlock new areas or abilities or whatever. With SMBX there is no real permanence between levels (beyond your own character's powerups, which are lost once you get hit). The only thing that can really mark progress is a WORLD MAP and TRIFORCE PIECES (aka Stars).

Only issue with what I have marked in bold is that, to MY knowledge, you CANNOT change the HUD elements of the game. Even if you replace stars with Tri-Forces, it would still show up as a star on the HUD. You might also want to talk about how to handle keys, since Link in SMBX has no true "inventory" and can carry only one key at a time.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
It's not like traditional Zelda games where you can get items permanently to unlock new areas or abilities or whatever. With SMBX there is no real permanence between levels (beyond your own character's powerups, which are lost once you get hit). The only thing that can really mark progress is a WORLD MAP and TRIFORCE PIECES (aka Stars).

This is actually not true, I'm pretty sure! You remember those colored blocks in Super Mario World that are just dotted outlines until you hit a giant button somewhere in the world? You can use these to give Link access to different tools based on his progress. Kill a boss and hit a giant green button, making green treasure boxes appear in each level, which all contain boomerangs; boomerangs can't be obtained any other way. If the player only has Link, it's not hard to design puzzles that can't be solved without specific tools (or possibly with any of a few possible tools)

You'd need to decide which powerups you want to limit this way, and which other powerups you want to never appear at all. And then probably coordinate an order for the stages that actually give these new tools as rewards to be completed in (it would be okay if some could be done earlier than needed, but not okay if you needed powerups you couldn't possibly have yet).
Ooh, I am so participating this!

Instead of collecting Triforce pieces, we should have Link collecting Force Gems (which are almost the same but not really).

And it would be awesome to have Zelda as a playable character too. Perhaps we could have levels specifically for her and other levels specifically for Link? (depending on how the plot goes) Peach (Zelda, w/e) and Link have rather different styles. A level made for Link might be too easy or hard (or impossible) as Peach/Zelda, and vise versa.

That's all the suggestions I can think of at the moment.
author=LockeZ
author=kentona
It's not like traditional Zelda games where you can get items permanently to unlock new areas or abilities or whatever. With SMBX there is no real permanence between levels (beyond your own character's powerups, which are lost once you get hit). The only thing that can really mark progress is a WORLD MAP and TRIFORCE PIECES (aka Stars).
This is actually not true, I'm pretty sure! You remember those colored blocks in Super Mario World that are just dotted outlines until you hit a giant button somewhere in the world? You can use these to give Link access to different tools based on his progress. Kill a boss and hit a giant green button, making green treasure boxes appear in each level, which all contain boomerangs; boomerangs can't be obtained any other way. If the player only has Link, it's not hard to design puzzles that can't be solved without specific tools (or possibly with any of a few possible tools)

You'd need to decide which powerups you want to limit this way, and which other powerups you want to never appear at all. And then probably coordinate an order for the stages that actually give these new tools as rewards to be completed in (it would be okay if some could be done earlier than needed, but not okay if you needed powerups you couldn't possibly have yet).
Do the power block switches progress from level to level?? I didn't think they did!
There's still have a few tiles I need to create/import into that starter pack, so I can post it later.

-It's not like traditional Zelda games where you can get items permanently to unlock new areas or abilities or whatever.

I have some world map ideas. One thing that I've had on my mind is the idea to create and area on the world map, a small island maybe. It has a few levels, one of which has it's exit point not on that island, but an identical looking island with different levels and maybe a new path to go to a different island. That way you can work towards getting the triforce on that island and when you do everything changes. If you go into the same towns, for example, the NPCs could be saying something different.

Although with that idea you need to keep the areas small and after a while it would get out of hand. So it's best used either for just a few areas at the start or for a short/small game.

I also made a stage to test Link's platforming to find out what kind of jumps work/don't work. Along with a few interesting ways to utilize his powerups. I'm busy right now but in the next few days I can work on this.

Any ideas on when the event will happen? I suggest either dec or jan. Mario Mansion and RMNW just finished, so I think there should be a break of SMBX stuff. Although I didn't really do much for either of them, so it's not like I need a break. Not sure if there will be a Christmas event, so ultimately I suggest Jan. But I'll do it whenever.
Yeah, I am thinking late November would be a good start for this. But with this being a collaborative game, there really won't be an "end" date - it will be done when it's done.

I should make some levels to explore Link's possibilities, as well.
Ah, I like the sound of that open end date.
author=LockeZ
author=kentona

I don't think any of this applies to SMBX.
It's possible. You would just surround a treasure box with green switch blocks or something.
author=Arandomgamemaker
It's possible. You would just surround a treasure box with green switch blocks or something.

Those reset every time you start a level. You can't have a switch in one level that changes something in EVERY level.
author=nin8halos
I don't think any of this applies to SMBX.
Games would be so much better if it did.

I suggest a secret bonus world that looks like Zelda 1. I made this graphics pack a while ago. It's not finished.

Heh, I tend to spend hours making graphics packs and then I never really put any effort into to making games out of them *shrugs*

There would be a fairly small world map, where each section is a single screen room and you move around like in the video. And there's a few Zelda 1 style dungeon entrances. When you go in, it's a level laid out like a Zelda 1 dungeon which is what people would make. People could suggest ideas for single rooms, but it would be the organizer that puts together the final overworld level like any hub in RMNBros. I guess you could have multiple level files connected to make the world map bigger depending on how many Dungeons there are. With a single level world map I'd say about 4 or 5 would be best.

Here's what I have for my testing area.

The first part is to see how many tiles Link can jump while running. Then I put blocks to prevent running, to see how he handles those jumps without space to run.

Next part is the same thing, bigger hurdles.

Standing jump height is 4 tiles. With a little bit of a run he can makes 5. Don't think he can do 6 at all, maybe with a full glowing run, never thought to check. So typically you'll want 3 high for easy platforming.

Then there's fairy testing. The biggest thing to master is momentum. What moment you press the button turn into fairy is very important because you keep the momentum from the jump.

You can press attack to sword cancel the fairy animation.

You can safely take a hit when in fairy mode. It cancels the transformation, I don't remember if you suffer the usual knockback. I don't think so. I go fairy as often as possible to take advantage of that. Also, I usually press attack to cancel the transformation if I got enough height out of it, instead of waiting for it cancel itself.

Then there's my patented Fairy Teleportâ„¢. Stuffing the fairy into a 1 tile space makes it teleport down. If you are in the permanent fairy transformation you might need to press up or down when inside the 1 tile space. You can see a few ways to use it successfully. It's a glitch but it's a predictable glitch. More so than with a Mario level you need to be very careful about where you have 1 tile spaces. If the space is near the bottom of the level you will die.

Then the Fire power. Not much here except the enemy I have in the bubble that drops the bridge. There is the climbing section after the door that shows good spacing to make that kind of platforming. haha The next section was a concept. I went a little overboard in this example. It lags worse in the video because I'm recording, but I have too many npc's there anyways. When the bullets are out it's just too much to have in one area.

Typically the color of enemy dictates what projectile will kill it. You need to hit it with the opposite, same color is ineffective. Sword beam kills all. I don't think there's even a flag to prevent that anyways.

The next part is a level concept that I really like. Getting powerups changes the level and you have to choose the right one to pass obstacles. This example is very linear but it would be cool in a non-linear dungeon. I will be making a level using this concept. The falling blocks only work when you do a few at a time. They are NPC's, so if you have too many at once it will lag. It only lags cause I'm recording, when you play it runs smooth. They don't kill you if they land on top of you, they push you aside.

Then all kinds of general tile usage. It's mainly just to show off all the tiles and npc's. The items are meant to change the level, usually by manipulating layers. This is how I envision some of them which can be altered a bit, but I suggest that the Power Glove stay the same throughout the game as I have it. I encourage everyone to make use of it!

List of some of the "features":

Raft - Affects water levels are shows the raft layer somewhere. When you stand on the raft an invisible event moves the raft.

Red/Blue Switch - 2 layers, 1 is ON the other is OFF. When you hit the switch it toggles them both.

Firepit thingy - Can only be activated by being hit with a fireball. It needs to be in a place that you can't reach with your sword, because that would light the fire. It's an NPC with it's flag set to firekill. When you kill it, it's layer turns off and shows the layer of it lit. Also triggers something else like a path opening or showing a layer or something. I can't remember if the sword beam activates this, probably does since it will kill the NPC. It still makes sense, kinda, but I don't think it can be prevented anyways.

Power Glove - There are blue blocks that can't be hit. They are on the layer POWERGLOVE OFF. When you get the power glove it shuts that layer off and turns on layer POWERGLOVE ON, which replaces them with destructible blocks. Usually only works once, but could potentially be limited. So when you go through an area that you used the Glove, it turns off the PG ON layer and they all go back to blue, allowing you to require the player to find multiple gloves in a level.

Red Eye - They are reskinned ghosts that you can stand on and ride into the sky. They aren't supposed to hurt you but I think in a certain situation they can. I don't remember exactly how or if that can be fixed.

I might have some other useful things in my other levels, but that's everything in my test area.
So, who's in on this? Did anyone want to start chatting about specifics like story and structure?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't know nothin' about nothin', but I'm willing to make a level.
author=kentona
So, who's in on this? Did anyone want to start chatting about specifics like story and structure?

I might pitch in a level or two.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
My advice to you guys is to remember that you're making a platformer, and therefore, make a platformer. I suggest against trying to make "equipment" in the traditional sense. Everything Link can get is all temporary and easily lost, so play up his natural sword moves and other features rather than trying to supplement or require items for stuff. Except for maybe temples.

I'd also say, temples should be like ghost houses and not like...well...temples. If you've got ONE good puzzle or gimmick then that's all you need. Multiple puzzles across a long level would not be a good idea. Look at the temple levels from RMN world: Pretty short, were interesting and unique, kind of tough, and not exactly a huge agonizing heartache. (except Shadow Temple maybe but that's because I'm a bastard)

All the levels (especially PROGRESSION ones) should be on the short side. Mario 3 sized. Long levels with Link strike me as a particularly bad idea. Even temples should be relatively short, so that you can use the midpoints for boss fights.

I'd have the game structured similar to Mario 3 more than Mario World: Not so much an emphasis on secret exits and that nonsense, more on non-linearity and other directions you can choose to explore new areas that lead to item houses and junk. You can feasibly make items somewhat rare in this game since Link's already really versatile with his sword moves.

Don't make the platforming super-hard. Make it easy enough that a 5 year old could beat it. Because Link != platforming-intensive character.

I think for this game a plot similar to ALTTP would work alright: Link needs rescue princess. Needs visit 3 temples (but maybe not temples, maybe something else). Visits 3 temples (but maybe not), goes to castle, princess gets janked somehow. Need to visit more temples. Unlock final tower. Kick Ganon butt.

I agree with all of those points. I also believe that PROGRESSION levels should be very short. Like SMB1 short AT LONGEST.
I like the way Isrieri is thinking.
Pages: first 1234 next last