GET GAME MAKER STUDIO STANDARD FOR FREE

Pages: first prev 12 last
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Pasty
Well, if you do a paid upgrade outside of Steam, you'll get a Steam key for the version you upgraded to, so it's all kind of moot.

I don't recommend using GMS within Steam anyway, considering it gets updates late and it (naturally) isn't subject to YYG's licensing structure, which is more favorable than Valve's in that it gives you credit for purchase.

Well alrighty then.. Time to go make a really crappy stickman game to get reacquainted with the thing
(and then relearn the GML, as it seems to have changed quite a bit from 8.1)
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I got this and I have absolutely no idea where to start :D;;;

when I first picked up gm, I started by figuring out how to make a crappy little robot sprite move around the screen based on player input. should give you a good understanding of how the general workflow is to begin with! it's definitely a different beast from rpg maker, since when you start off there's really no foundation to work from.
maybe it's high time I get off my duff and do that "Game Maker Workshop" collaborative event I promised 21 months ago.

or maybe not. my duff is comfy
author=mawk
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I got this and I have absolutely no idea where to start :D;;;
when I first picked up gm, I started by figuring out how to make a crappy little robot sprite move around the screen based on player input. should give you a good understanding of how the general workflow is to begin with! it's definitely a different beast from rpg maker, since when you start off there's really no foundation to work from.

I actually managed to make something move but apparently I had to code that in. I did make a level though but I don't think it's still an engine I'd want to use :s
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I may end up getting this just to play around with in the future. I wonder what languages it takes? (I know nothing)
game maker uses a proprietary scripting language called GML. it's pretty simple to pick up, but yeah, the fact that it doesn't use a coding language is one of its big drawbacks from my perspective.
You can really make it sing if you get good enough, but it takes quite a while to get that good. A lot of the invisible systems that are in place in RPG Maker are completely absent in Game Maker.

GML also sort of enforces some bad programming habits that I had to unlearn when I started pursuing my computer science degree, but the one advantage is that it's dead easy to learn and mess around with. There's a reason Game Maker has a serious reputation as a fast prototyping tool.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Pasty
GML also sort of enforces some bad programming habits that I had to unlearn when I started pursuing my computer science degree,

which habits are these? I'd like to avoid these, as I'm trying to obtain a comp sci degree as well :F

(well, when I hit college)
Off the top of my head:

• No semicolon at the end of a statement (this is like Python but unlike C variants)
  • Old versions of GM had the "Treat uninitialized variables as 0" checkbox in Global Game Settings that allowed the user to auto-initialize variables to 0, even if they weren't explicitly defined.
  • No encapsulation/poor polymorphism. This is unavoidable since GML doesn't have classes
  • The assignment operator (=) is not the same thing as the comparison operator (==). GML doesn't differentiate, but if you start programming in C++/C#, for instance, using an assignment operator in an if statement will result in a compiler error.

The last one was the hardest habit to break, especially since I only realized I was doing this about 75% of the way through Alcarys Complex, so there were tons of if statements in the source that were like if(variable = 5) instead of if(variable == 5).
Man, it trips me up SO HARD when a language DOESN'T use == for comparison and = for assignment. SO HARD.

"Oh jeez am I accidentally assigning this variable in this if statement??" ~me, all the time, "oh wait, this language is stupid and uses the same operator for 2 different purposes. phew."
That last one is just ...dumb D:
I'm sorry but it is. How would one write and debug proper code if it both acts like == and =? D:
I think games made in Game Maker run more smoothly than those made in RPG Maker. Other than that, why use Game Maker over the RGSS engines in the later RPG Makers? Ruby is versatile and you already know it from being here.

Just start a new RPG Maker project and delete every default script, then start coding. The only thing I can't conceive a means to do is masking...
author=Zachary_Braun
I think games made in Game Maker run more smoothly than those made in RPG Maker. Other than that, why use Game Maker over the RGSS engines in the later RPG Makers? Ruby is versatile and you already know it from being here.

Just start a new RPG Maker project and delete every default script, then start coding. The only thing I can't conceive a means to do is masking...

Someone actually made masking in RGSS3 before! IIRC, there's 3 people who did it. I think one was French/Spanish, one is in RMW boards where he made a graphic utility, and I think the last one was KGC or White Flute.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Zachary_Braun

Someone actually made masking in RGSS3 before! IIRC, there's 3 people who did it. I think one was French/Spanish, one is in RMW boards where he made a graphic utility, and I think the last one was KGC or White Flute.

There are also a lot of totally free engines (many open source) that are pretty easy to use and give total and utter control with low overhead.
Just as an FYI you can use the free standard license to upgrade to GameMaker Studio Pro for $25 (at least for today, not sure how long this will be good for).

EDIT: Reddit says this is good until Dec. 6th.
The offer to get Game Maker Studio Standard for Free has officially expired as of today.

Hope you got while the getting was good!
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
This ain't right :(

I love the kind of games on this site.
Would really love to create my own games.

But I know very little about computers and nothing about game making :( :)
author=Nicholasstrangelee
Can you help me figure out how to creater a 5 star Rpg game

oh god

Anyways, I might give this a try soon. I always wanted to seriously give GM a go, but I've always pussed out sometime in.
Pages: first prev 12 last