[POLL] WHAT TYPE OF EXPLORE SYSTEM FOR A TRPG?

Poll

What type of explore system? - Results

World Map
40%
Menu System
20%
1 Map with Npc for Menus + Tele
0%
Other
40%

Pages: 1
So I've been working on a trpg for awhile. I can't decide what type of exploration system I want to use. Not really sure if that is even the right term. Anyways here's 3 examples of what I mean.

World Map:
Player moves around on a world map, with a "Home" town where he can pick up quests/missions/next story line.
Ex: Final Fantasy Tactics

Menu System:
Kind of a regular menu, except you have you have access to shop and story. When you click on story, it takes you to the next story line where you have a cutscene of whats going on, then a battle. After the battle you have another cutscene of the outcome, then it takes you back to the menu.
Ex: Gungnir

A small map with NPCs:
Just a regular map of the characters "Home". In this map you can talk to npcs that take you to the shops or a recruiting menu to add new players. There's also a "Teleport" npc that takes you to the next story line.
Ex: Disgaea

There more example games. But I feel those 3 are strong examples of the categories.

I'm thinking of going with the menu based one, because I never really like the small map versions and the world map would be nice but then I'd have to draw out a map lol. Anyways I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
Also for the menu/small map. For the Story npc/menu, would it be better to just go straight to the next story line, or have the option of replaying passed story lines? Most of the small map games have the option of replaying so I guess this was directed more for the menu based.

I also put an Other choice. If you have an idea or seen another type let me know!
I like the idea of the map with NPCs but I hated it being static in the Disgaea games. I'd suggest trying a map that changes based on the player's location in the story so it doesn't get old and there's new places to check out over the course of the game!
If you have the time and energy to implement it, I'd second GreatRedSpirit's suggestion. Of course, this requires that you come up with some interesting content for the player to encounter in those locations, and if you think you'd just end up filling them with fluff, it's probably better not to bother.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
"Fully realized world full of explorable dungeons, cities and outdoor areas, with battles that then take place in those zones" isn't an option?

Examples: Shining Force, Dragon Age, Breath of Fire 5
I like GreatRedSpirit's suggestion. And I agree, that's why I didn't like the map version since it was the same map through out the game, felt kind of pointless.
@LockeZ that could work as well. Not sure if I'd have the patience for all that mapping though.
Good thing I asked before I went ahead and just did a menu based. Getting some better ideas now, thanks!
I like the Shining Force system most. It offers full exploration of towns and the world and even other places but at all same time still have very big long-term strategy battle (I prefer it over say Arc The Lad 2, where the battles are so small that it rather feels like a normal RPG with a TPRG-like battle system).
It also has secret passages and hidden treasure chests and stuff.
Pages: 1