NUDITY IN GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
As some of you know I am making a game that is based around African culture. Since, a number of people in Africa traditionally don't cover themselves as we do in the west, there are a number of nude characters in the game.
Keep in mind the nudity in the game is all just tiny pixel characters. You can't see nipples or genitals.
Also, in my defense there's a popular RPGMaker game called "Desert Nightmare" that has nudity.
So, hopefully that's okay with all of you because it would be really ridiculous if I had to censor tribal nudity.

One more thing while I'm checking to see if the nudity thing is okay with all of you, I should also note (SPOILER ALERT) that the villain of the game is a colonist and if you know your history that means there's slavery and genocide involved. The game is by no means super violent but it is vital that my game show the horrors of colonization. Plus, the goal of my game is to free slaves so it's an integral plot element.
Also, the slaves in the game are extracting coltan which is a way for my game to raise awareness of the current crisis in the Congo in which people in our time are being enslaved to dig up coltan. Which is a substance used in all computers, cell phones, and game systems.
So, my game is a little bit like the movie "Blood Diamond"
So, hopefully that's okay cause without it my story will be nothing.
So, what's the point of this topic again? To tell us that nudity is okay? Well, yeah, I'm kind of okay with it. And then?
unity
You're magical to me.
I have no problem with nudity in games, as long as it makes sense in context, of course.

For the official site ruling on it, this thread discusses that in more detail.
I don't think anyone would kick up a fuss if it's not explicit, with visible genitals, but I suppose it's possible that some people would be uncomfortable with it.

You might want to consider whether it would really affect your game or its message to give them loincloths or something, or whether you could at least give the player an option for their inclusion. For the sake of education, you could mention before the game starts (or when the option is activated) that in reality certain characters would be nude, but you've just made a slight alteration for the sake of censorship.

But if you really don't want to compromise on your artistic vision, then just do it however you like, and people will either play it or they won't. Personally, if it's realistic in the setting, and is handled tastefully rather than gratuitously, I have no problem.

As for slavery, I know it can be a touchy subject for people, but again, if you feel it's integral to the story you're telling, keep it by all means. And if it's controversial or makes people uncomfortable, well, you've set out to tell the story that you wanted, haven't you?
The 2k3 RTP goblin or whatever the red thing is is nude with no visible genitalia even though the pig orc thing is wearing pants. Maybe someone who knows more about monster cultures could enlighten me about that.

Context is important of course. It makes sense that sprites in Harvest Moon / Earthbound would wear towels in the hot spring because usually they're mixed. If on the other hand your game had hot springs separated by gender then changing the 4-5 pixels below the waste from flesh to white would destroy the immersion.
author=unity
I have no problem with nudity in games, as long as it makes sense in context, of course.

Alrighty then. Thanks for sending me that link unity.

So, I probably won't have a problem uploading my game then. That's good to know. Thank you to everyone who responded.

I think I may put a disclaimer either at the start of the game or in a notepad in the game's folder just to warn players about the mature content of the game.

Fun Fact - I just remembered,
there's actually a great animated movie called "Kirikou and the Sorceress" that also has traditional African nudity and that movie won a ton of awards. So my game is in good company I think.
The lead female of Sea Prince and Fire Child spent the entire movie nude, and it's a children's movie. It's really just a matter of context.
Worry about making your game really good. If the quality is high, nobody's going to mind if the nudity is part of your artistic vision. If the quality is poor, then people are going to start questioning whether things like nudity were really necessary, or just attempts to grab the audience's attention.

Exactly. My game is going to be so good that it will change the way people think about nudity in games.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
The fact that you said you can't see nipples or genitals in your first post kind of covers you pretty well in terms of what you could and couldn't get past any kind of censors. The PS2 JRPG "Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis" and the sequel both had dozens of nude monsters (all female and all humanoid) that had no nipples or genitals, and the first game received an E10+ rating from the ESRB, while the second received T because of stronger language. So non-detailed nudity in games isn't really an issue if your game has above an E rating. Especially if it's culturally faithful, such as the use of a "swastika" (actually an old Japanese & Indian symbol or something) used in "Bleach: Third Phantom" where a disclaimer was in the game's manual explaining the symbol's history. Even several RTP monsters throughout the decades have been nude, but either non-detailed or covered by mist and such so they weren't considered "nude".
yay for nudity in games

really
Context really determines the necessity for this type of thing, really.

oh and we gotta have those teens willing to pay time to masturbate
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
This may be the decisive point of view in the nudity question.

Just a quick update
I did in fact include a notepad labeled "Content Warning" in the game to warn players about game's mature content.
Only semi-related, I just recently learned that there are some hentai games with better gameplay than most other games. And apparently I find direct sex/nudity less annoying than anime-fanservice stuff.
I've played a number of games with explicit content, and more often than not the gameplay is kind of half-assed, but there are some exceptions. Kamidori Alchemy Meister is pretty high up on my list of games with enjoyable gameplay. It's a really good example of complex and engaging activity arising from simple mechanics. On the other hand, if you're someone to whom it's important that any sort of sexual content be tasteful and non-gratuitous, that's definitely a significant weakness on the game's part.
RMN is alright with nudity (and content like slavery, sex, etc) in games as long as it's done tastefully and handled with the respect it deserves. Gratuity for the sake of it is something we don't allow, but in this case, a game with reasons behind the nudity/slavery and efforts made to make it less objectionable/'just because', it should be fine.
Which makes me question -- what would be gratuitious slavery? o_รต
author=unity

I am the same as you.

I don't mind nudity, so long as it makes sense in context.
Pages: first 12 next last