ROGUE-LIKES FOR THE LESS HARDCORE

Pages: 1
I've played a few roguelikes in recent years, like Shiren the Wanderer, Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Dungeons of Dredmor. I was wondering if anyone knows of other good roguelikes, preferably ones that aren't brutally hard.
You might like Spelunky, or FTL: Faster Than Light.
Tales of Maj'Eyal. It has an easy mode and if you donate you can turn off permadeath.
You could try the PS1 game Azure Dreams. It's somewhere between a dungeon crawler and a roguelike. It's also fairly forgiving and the town building is cool.

The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are shockingly good, too. The first in the series even has a good story.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Recettear counts! It's also amazing. You will spend most of your time not playing the roguelike portion of the game, though.

Children of Mana is a roguelike for the Nintendo DS made by Square Enix that plays like Secret of Mana. The combat is fun but the character progression is kind of lacking - despite being a roguelike you can hit max level and beat the game completely in about the same amount of time as it takes to beat other Mana games.
author=Binturong
You could try the PS1 game Azure Dreams. It's somewhere between a dungeon crawler and a roguelike. It's also fairly forgiving and the town building is cool.

I'd forgotten about that game. I played it to completion a few years back. It was a neat little game, but I didn't really enjoy it that much.

author=LockeZ
Recettear counts! It's also amazing. You will spend most of your time not playing the roguelike portion of the game, though.

I wouldn't really consider it a roguelike, even just the dungeon crawling part. But it is a very good game.
Desktop Dungeons! =3

I also made some but they don't actually have download links at the moment. ^^;
The Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon games slightly fit into the sub-genre. Death certainly isn't permanent or something, but the games do come with a lot of challenges that accompany rogue-likes.
Pages: 1