WOULD U PLAY AN FFX 2D MADE WITH RM2K3? (FIRST SCREENSHOT)

Pages: first prev 123 last
It's hard to tell if this guy is trolling or not.

My suggestion is to try again in 6 years.

Or at least stop using RTP.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Keep your day job
*gives up and requests the topic to be locked*
My only advise is to go back to FFX and replay the beginning, then do your best to replicate what happened from there or whatever and show us your progress with that instead of just throwing in random landscape screenshots.

Otherwise, dick-sticks
author=zacheatscrackers
My only advise is to go back to FFX and replay the beginning, then do your best to replicate what happened from there or whatever and show us your progress with that instead of just throwing in random landscape screenshots.

Otherwise, dick-sticks

You do realize that screen is supposed to be the intro to FFX right?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=dbzfanboy

Really? You must be playing a different version. The FFX I remember started with a blitzball game in Zanarkand, a half-way descent heavy metal opening number, and Tidus trying to make his way through the ruins of Zanarkand with Auron's help. This screenshot looks like you're well past Yuna's first Trial of the Fayth. And, um, yeah, Rikku is odd one out here. She rescues Tidus on the ocean, isn't even on Besaid, and doesn't show up again til Luca. Zanarkand ruins are not on Besaid, you don't even see them until you're halfway through the game.

Even if this is Besaid, you're about an hour and a half into the game before you even get to this point.

EDIT: Recognize the difference between insults and constructive criticism. These people are not being mean or nasty. They are giving you honest opinions based on their personal experience.
author=pianotm
author=dbzfanboy
Really? You must be playing a different version. The FFX I remember started with a blitzball game in Zanarkand, a half-way descent heavy metal opening number, and Tidus trying to make his way through the ruins of Zanarkand with Auron's help. This screenshot looks like you're well past Yuna's first Trial of the Fayth. And, um, yeah, Rikku is odd one out here. She rescues Tidus on the ocean, isn't even on Besaid, and doesn't show up again til Luca. Zanarkand ruins are not on Besaid, you don't even see them until you're halfway through the game.

Actually, the game first opens with their arrival at the ruins of Zanarkand before cutting to the blitzball game - most of the first part of the game is Tidus recalling how he got to seeing his home in ruins. The scene later replays when they -do- arrive in Zanarkand and Tidus' recollection catches up with him. (In case you need the reminder - a new game started from the menu of the HD version, which doesn't change the events of the game.)

Quick and dirty, five minute map, most of which was spent getting the tinting in engine right. I'm not even a big fan of how this turned out, and it's mostly based on recollection (not the images below).

Don't rely entirely on the tileset to convey the ruins, especially in that particular scene. As you can see here and here, the city is some distance away from their camp site. They're just on the edge of the ruins, and to fully represent the ruins themselves, use of a shot or artwork from the game, like I've got, works perfect.

Set the scene and work on mapping. You need to choose (and have) the right tilesets for the right job, not just use whatever you happen to have to half ass what you're trying to do (I kind of failed in this in using VX Ace's RTP for my example, as there's no ground terrain that has cliffs that matches the Zanarkand terrain well). Don't try to be 100% faithful to the layout; make it work in 2D for the movement and actions you need to show (this coming from someone currently trying to remake some 3D terrain in a 2D engine).
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Damn. Now I have to play it again.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
To anyone still confused, this is the scene he's trying to recreate:

author=pianotm
EDIT: Recognize the difference between insults and constructive criticism. These people are not being mean or nasty. They are giving you honest opinions based on their personal experience.
Well, to be fair, I was giving my mean and nasty honest opinion based on my personal experience. There's a reason I have House as my avatar.

I could give actual advice though if you're serious about this?

-Those broken towers and broken castles are meant to be used on a world map only. Since, you know, they're towers and castles. Which are hundreds of meters wide or tall.
-I guess you were trying to go for perspective? Don't. RM2K3 is a top-down view. Make it how it would look from that view. It doesn't look like the buildings are far away, it looks like they're dollhouses 20 feet away.
-There are a bunch of random grass sections. There's also some sand, some bubbling swamp, and a random rectangular section of a fortress wall. Why? It looks terrible.
-Even if the mishmash of random inexplicable tiles didn't look terrible on its own, it's still totally wrong. That scene in Zanarkand Ruins was all brown dirt and brown rocks, with a little bit of brown scrap metal that you could barely see because it was the exact same color as the dirt and rocks. Try to recreate that.
-Those cliffs aren't supposed to be used like that. To see how they're supposed to be used, look at, um, any SNES RPG other than FF6 that has a map with cliffs, maybe?
-A lot of your other problems are also caused by using the world map chipset. Why aren't you using one of the outdoor chipsets that RM2K3 comes with?
-If you really want to go for maximum nostalgia, don't use RTP graphics at all. Use graphics (and sound effects) from FF6 for all the tilesets, enemies, and spell animations.
-Final Fantasy 10 didn't use an ATB, didn't use experience points or levels, and didn't use a standard equipment system. You should definitely use one of the newer RPG Makers so you can actually mimic the gameplay from FF10.
-I like the pyreflies though. Nice touch.

If you actually do this project, let me give you some advice. I have spent the last ten years working on a project that is a recreation of Final Fantasy games, so I have some experience with this. If you make this game, you can expect to be constantly bombarded with endless complaints about it - but not from the people who don't like fangames; they'll simply dismiss it. No, the complaints will be from the fans. If your game does not live up to the quality of FF10, you will be told so loudly and repeatedly, and they will hate you for it. Doing a good job won't be enough - you will need to do at least as good a job as the original game did, possibly better. This is many people's favorite video game of all time, and it's gotten even better in their mind over time. That's a hard bar to live up to. Make sure you're prepared to pour your soul into it, for years and years to come.
author=dbzfanboy
author=zacheatscrackers

Otherwise, dick-sticks
I don't quite remember it looking like that, however (haven't played the game in years, though, so I don't entirely blame you). Brownie points for trying, anyways. Take Locke's advice as well.
i know this is kind of an old thread, but I just oughta say that no matter what people say, if you have fun and are enjoying yourself, then you're making a good game. It might be only good for you, yet it might be not, it doesn't matter. Also, it's learning, and you're just having some innocent fun.
Go ahead!♥ I give you full support!

(my first project in rpg maker was a parasite eve demake, back then in 2004 i think)

Also, in regards to not using rtp or stuff... bullshit
the rtp has all you need to create basic maps, imo it's far more horrible to use rtp with a picture from the game in the background than to simply use rtp with a sky for parallax. because clash and clash is bad, uga uga
and rtp remakes of stuff are a hell lot of fun! :^D

soo... HAVE FUN! ^W^♥
This is actually really funny. The FF72D remake I published is actually my second attempt. The first one I made was when I was just getting started with rm2k and it was probably worse than this. I decided myself that I'd come back later when I can do it properly.

I'd say by all means keep working on this. Projects like this force you to study every detail of the source material and you can learn a lot about game design by doing that.
the longer i think about projects like this the more i realize it is much much less about being a devoted fan or game designer and just wanting to see how an aesthetic can be modified or demodified. I guess kind of like how jarring it was seeing zelda in 3D for the first time. or watcing vids of that doom megaman wad thing
Why do people keep doing this
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Pizza
Why do people keep doing this

People are inspired by beautiful things they see. That's why so many of us got into making RPGs, right? We grew up loving them. It's not too hard to see why someone would want to remake a game they loved. It's like using someone else's painting as a reference, or even tracing it. You can learn a lot making something, even if it's just mimicry.

First projects are always kind of rough! fanboy, I can promise you that remaking FFX is absolutely biting off more than you can chew - for reference, FFX's credits lists over 100 people and it took two years to make. I'd definitely suggest something much smaller. That doesn't mean it has to be cheap or bad - some of our most well-known and beloved games were made in less than a month! It will definitely give you a good handle on how to start, manage, and finish a project.
My main point is that remaking something like FFX or FF7 or whatever in RPG Maker is a waste of time when you could channel that inspiration and love (btw thanks I'm aware) into something of your own, you know, like I've been doing for the last 13 years.

Doing a tech demo- you know, like the Spira/Midgar opening in a NES or Gameboy style or something (and really adhering to the limitations) could be a really interesting experiment. But remaking the entire game in just sort of a... messy state like 2k3 RTP/Sprite Edit mashup is pretty pointless, especially for a first game.
Making FFX in RPG Maker 2003 is like making the Venus de Milo out of Duplos.

I actually feel pretty dirty using the Venus de Milo as a simile for FFX, but you get the point I'm trying to make.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
hi

everything everyone in this thread has said +

there is seriously no point if you can't convey the vibe+energy of FFX and you're not doing that. Vanit's demake? feels like FF7. You are attempting to use RTP tiles for a game with very unique scenery.
have you even considered how difficult some environments would be to emulate? trying to event the entire sphere grid? overdrives? the battle gimmicks? CTB?

even in VXA it'd be mind-blowingly difficult. I've emulated an FF system before and I wouldn't try it again.

not directly at least *sideway glance at SLH*

a game is the sum of all its parts, each needs a certain degree of attention and you are frankly not at a skill level/work ethic level to pursue a 2D remake of FFX.

-sincerely signed person who has cried over remaking ff maps in 2D like seven times
that's a point, but making a game in rpg maker isn't always about the final product
sometimes it's about the experience!
so go ahead and do it for yourself, learn a thing or two in the project
includingly, that people can be harsh.

although as @Pizza said, since it's more than you can chew remaking (to your best) only a single part of the game could be more productive both in terms of the ending result AND experience. xD

Consider making a side story, alternate retelling or something. Play around with your creativity and your heart, have fun. You're no commercial game designer, don't worry and simply be happy ^w^)♥

how many of you make games for the games? How many of you make games for the experience? How many of you even realize the experience? People sometimes ignore that xD

EDIT: Me and necromancing of old threads. I guess that's a skill that I do master huh
Pages: first prev 123 last