KARIN'S SOULKEEPER DOES... ART?!?!

Pages: first prev 12 last
Lato> It's nice! I like how you made the bottom part of the dress less flat.
Though I think you missed a few pixels on the top part of her face. They look a bit off...

Kyla> I knew something was off >.<
Oh well. I'll keep that in mind.
Thank you!
Gosh, I totally screwed the wording up. But as long as you got it^^
That obviously made the legs and the skirt too small (and short for the skirt) as well.
Hands aren't that small, either. The hand on the right handside is smaller than the frontview of one (even if it gets bigger due to the viewpoint, you didn't exceed it that much).
Since you've already got it at hand, try observing your own or drawing it sometime. That helps a lot.
Wait, okaayy I'm confused now...

Hands aren't that small (negative?); Hand on hip is smaller than hand with gun; Hand with gun is bigger due to perspective, but not that much (negative?);

I get that her torso's too big for her legs (even if I claim that she's leaning forward).

Sorry, I'm kinda slow.
The hand on the right is seen from the side, not the front. And the front only shows off part of her fingers - the first link and the knuckles to be precise. The first link is roughly as long as the two others.
The handbase is as long as the fingers has the form of a square, vaguely.
You see the handbase on the right which thus should be longer. It has no square as a base, either. I'll make a sketch in a sec, but playing right now.

And you build her with the torso as base, the torso is alright - the hip is too small.
"Hands aren't that small" was more a generalization. People tend to draw them smaller than they actually are. Look at yours and you'll see it's broader than the end of your forearm. But it's an easy trap to just let them slide into the arm. I realize you considered that one already so I didn't elaborate, but it still rings true.

You did consider perspective, but it doesn't come into play strongly. You could go overboard like this

But you did not. So it does not justify the big difference there is, is what I meant. I'm sorry, my writing this morning sucks.

Here a quick edit .. be kind on me, my right is not my strong hand. And I don't plan on spending much time on getting it to look good^^

http://i.imgur.com/LrC7NaC.jpg

It might be off a little bit, but I tried to adjust it a little to compare the original size (not the one in perspective), the above sketch is a little bit smaller as well.

The arm is too slim, so the hand has to follow, obviously. It's seen practically from "above", too, so the base should be almost completely visible.
I think I got it now.

My original plan was to have her holding waist, instead of having her fist against it. I must've forgotten to adjust the sketch to the new plan, and it resulted to this. And yes, I only remembered that *just* now -.-;

I obviously need to practice more on all the stuff you pointed out, though. Especially on proportion.
Thanks a lot Kyla!
Glad it helped!
I see.. but even then, the upper side of the arm would remain more or less straight, since that's where the bone is. It'd still be broader. It only goes slim when you have a perfect sideview. (In which case the thumb and the side of the hand is still a little bit larger)

Also, since I didn't draw that in, your skirt ends pretty much with the crotch. Don't forget about that ;) Imagine a "V" shaped form there.
Cut the sides of the skirt so it makes a V and she'd be wearing panties.

No worries, practice makes perfect. As for anatomy .. you only need to learn it once. You'll not always pay attention to it, but as long as you got it down, you'll spot it again ;)
A-actually, that was supposed to be shorts...
Uh, I guess I need to work on that ;p
Lato
Infantry for life!
author=karins_soulkeeper
A-actually, that was supposed to be shorts...
Uh, I guess I need to work on that ;p

I did a 100% recolor, if something was of it is a color not a pixel, though I did edit the hair to be a bit more realistic, and yes I think the dress edit is the best part. Do I have your permission to use this in my projects?
Go ahead!

You don't even have to cite me or anything. Feel free. I wouldn't put them up here if I wanted to keep them to myself ;)

Ps. You quoted the wrong post...
Err... is this considered as necroposting? Well, it didn't really make sense to make another topic so I thought I'd just revive this somewhat. *waits to be reprimanded*

I'm still trying to get my sketches right. But since I just taught myself by absorbing other people('s work), my 'style' became a bit too messy. I tried drawing the same character as many times as I can, each with a different style for the eyes. That way, I found three that I am most comfortable with. Now I want to focus on just one style, to keep my drawings from looking too varied, but I'm not sure which one I should go with. All three honestly look fine for me.

So, I need your help! Which one of these do you think looks best?
Oh, and please don't mind the lack of detail on the hair/body and the so-so proportions. I did draw a dozen of them...

Pretty cool stuff, didn't see the last few before :)

Wow this is a *really* late reply. Thanks Kyla!

I got my hands on Krita, and after all sorts of experimentations, I ended up making this:
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/46909/locker/Cyndi.png
I nicknamed in "Cyndi", because why not? I posted (a while ago) about how I wanted to use my sketches for games. I practised a bit, drifted from painting program to another, until I finally came up with something decent. There's only one, since I'm getting quite too busy to start making another. I'll find time soon but for now, what do you guys think? Any points I should improve on?
That's pretty damn good! And quite the improvement.
Good job!
Pages: first prev 12 last