SUBMISSION RULES: UPDATE - ADDENDUM ADDED BECAUSE FFS PEOPLE!

Pages: first 123456 next last
Due to an influx of new games on the site that have tried getting around our standards rules, we are not accepting any unedited sample maps as part of the three required in-game maps needed to have your game accepted to the site.

The idea behind showing three images is to show off your creation and ability as a game creator. As sample maps are already included with the engine, unless they are heavily edited they will be placed in the same category as Title screens, game over screens, concept art and the like when taken into consideration for game acceptance. That is, they are a non-entity and will not be counted as part of the required three.

Honestly, none of us thought something like this rule would be required but it seems we were proven wrong.

Thanks for your attention and please, do carry on gaming. ^.^)b

ADDENDUM: Please, if you've a game page that you no longer want to use, either mark the game as cancelled or delete it. DO NOT REUSE FOR ANOTHER GAME! Not only is that unfair on those who subscribed to that particular game, it also means that it hasn't gone through the the submissions queue and been checked over for quality.

If anyone sees something like this happen, please report it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I had already thought you would deny someone who was obviously using sample maps.

I don't think I even looked at them until after creating Chips Challenge.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Are people really doing this...? -.-
author=Jeroen_Sol

Welcome to 2014 bud.
*sigh* Kids today...doing anything that they can to get that sweet, sweet makerscore.

That is just the epitome of laziness. -_-
author=Jeroen_Sol

You should've seen the IGMC entries man...
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Using unedited sample maps? Just when I thought people couldn't get lower. A sad but needed rule I guess.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Is this something new in RPG Maker VX Ace? I didn't even know sample maps were a thing...

author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Jeroen_Sol

That is just pitiful. Honestly, who does that?
Wait, there's a rule that you need 3 or more maps? I had no idea.

...Wow, it's a good thing my RPGology entry ended up having EXACTLY that amount...XD

As for sample maps, I'm guilty of having used some in the past (although I DID edit most of them a bit). It was for the Lite cook-off contest where we literally had 2 weeks to make a game, so I got a liiiiitle bit pressed for time and used some sample maps for the towns (and final dungeon).

While I don't think there's anything wrong with using a few here or there, I try not to do it anymore. Especially not for dungeons.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Jeroen_Sol

Ugu. I kind of expected similar antics though.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Aegix_Drakan
Wait, there's a rule that you need 3 or more maps? I had no idea.
It's not necessarily the amount of maps that counts, I think. You need to submit 3 screenshots that show you have put some real effort into the game yourself. Unedited sample maps would probably not qualify as such...

author=Aegix_Drakan
As for sample maps, I'm guilty of having used some in the past (although I DID edit most of them a bit). It was for the Lite cook-off contest where we literally had 2 weeks to make a game, so I got a liiiiitle bit pressed for time and used some sample maps for the towns (and final dungeon).

While I don't think there's anything wrong with using a few here or there, I try not to do it anymore. Especially not for dungeons.
I don't think it the use of those sample maps in principle that is the problem. It is that apparently, some people include screenshots of them when they submit their game to the site for acceptance - which is just ridiculous.
Hmm... But the game I am designing right now literally uses only two separate maps, at this currant date. I mean, it's a simulation; You never see sim city 2000 using more then 1 map at any given time, so I don't think that they really need 3 different maps, rather three different shots of proof of gameplay vice versa.(You get what I'm saying!)

However, yes, I am all for this rule. I am ashamed to say I did not quite follow when you first said "Sample Maps", as I only moved to RMVX and RMVX ace recently; Rm2k really did not have any such thing.

author=yuna21

Ahaha, there are other ways of being lazy as well. It's a shameless grab at MS however.
The issue isn't the use of sample maps. Honestly, I've used them myself, to great effect (namely because I like to edit the fuck out of them). They're a great resource for teaching new devs how to use the tiles properly (bar a few like the fucking water tile. >:\ ) and they've become a new resource that's been added to graphic packs like DS and DS+, futuristic and the like, so people know what they're using tiles for.

The problem is that people are trying to use unedited sample maps to get their games past the initial quality screen.

The rule for images basically boils down to - showing three different in-game images of decent quality will lead to your game being accepted (as long as your description is readable and you haven't stolen shit). Title screens, Game Over screens, Concept art and now Sample maps won't count for the initial three that are checked.

There are times when we'll let through a game that is very... different because it consists of just menus or the same kind of gameplay - concept games - and if a game is tagged for a certain competition that we know is currently running, it's given a bit more slack (as long as some effort has gone into the presentation via description and choice of screens).

If, however, the game description talks about awesome maps and all that's been shown are battle screens and menus, there'll definitely be a request for some actual mapping sent through. We've caught out a few really bad quality games that way (people will do almost anything, sometimes).
author=yuna21
Well,, In my defense, I am still learning how to work with rpg maker and it's the first game ive ever made.. I don't know how to make custom maps and stuff
Usually it's a good idea to focus on making your game, gathering your skills and learning before adding a game to the site. If you haven't much to your game, you probably should hold off on sharing it.

That said, it's understandable that the excitement of finding the engine and creating a game will just propel you ahead, before you know what you're really doing. We've all been in that boat before, no fret. ^.^

Honestly, because sample maps didn't exist until Ace came out, we never realised that it would be an issue. A lot of new creators tend to want to try their own hand at mapping, look up tutorials to help them, play games and post in screenshot threads, thus gaining knowledge slowly. Personally, I recommend messing around with the sample maps to see how the tiles work, but not relying on them completely. Grow your skills, make your own maps and then show off your game.

As I mentioned before, even experienced people (like myself) use sample maps - that isn't the real issue. The problem is that sample maps have no touch of the actual creator apon them, so they're basically blank slates. It'd be the same as someone using just black screens to show off their 'game' - there's no personality in it. We can't judge the quality of your game based on them because anyone can just slap an event on a sample map and call it done.

So, try mapping for yourself. Try improving the sample maps, if you intend to use them. Try making them more fitting to your own game. Work at it a bit - every day you'll get better and bringing your own design and personality to maps will make your game more than 'that game with the sample maps'.

Just understand that if you do intend to use sample maps in your game they will either need to be highly edited so that they're almost unrecognisable as such or not used as the first three in-game images to show off your project. There is no longer an either/or beyond those two points.
I just know that you should've predicted that XD Humans are lazy, after all.

author=Ts_Games
author=yuna21
Well,, In my defense, I am still learning how to work with rpg maker and it's the first game ive ever made.. I don't know how to make custom maps and stuff

It isn't as easy as opening the engine and using the drawing tools to make a map by yourself, even if you use the default RTP tileset? If I'm right, then being new to the engine is no excuse.
If it isn't that, then I don't know what is people talking about.
author=Liberty
Honestly, because sample maps didn't exist until Ace came out, we never realised that it would be an issue.

Sample maps were included with VX as well, but you had to dig around for them, unlike Ace. They were included more as a sample project (in extras, I think) that you could load up and then copy/paste them into your project.

author=Chivi-chivik
It isn't as easy as opening the engine and using the drawing tools to make a map by yourself, even if you use the default RTP tileset? If I'm right, then being new to the engine is no excuse.
If it isn't that, then I don't know what is people talking about.

I don't think it's the ease of use so much as confidence. Obviously, the poster isn't going to want to load up their project here with horrible maps and be the seat of ridicule. However, that's also the reason to wait, like Liberty stated. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to use the maker efficiently. It's also a good idea to play a few of the different games here to see what works and doesn't work.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=facesforce
Hmm... But the game I am designing right now literally uses only two separate maps, at this currant date. I mean, it's a simulation; You never see sim city 2000 using more then 1 map at any given time, so I don't think that they really need 3 different maps, rather three different shots of proof of gameplay vice versa.(You get what I'm saying!)
The way it's actually enforced, the rule is really "three decent-looking screenshots that show off different parts of your game that you made yourself." I'm sure three screenshots of your map in significantly different states would suffice. A screenshot of a unique custom menu with a pretty appearance is almost always fine, as well.

Based on that interpretation though, I'm not entirely sure why splash art like the title screen and game over screen don't count as long as the creator drew them. I'm amazed title screens aren't specifically required in addition to the three screenshots, actually.
Because they don't show part of the game itself. You can make a black title screen with white text, otherwise. It shows sweet fuck all about what the game entails or what to expect of it. At least if you're showing a menu, it's something you'll see and use in-game. You want to add a title/game over screen or concept art? Do it as the fourth image. Or the fifth, sixth or seventh onward - but the initial three in-game shots are what we base whether we allow a game through the queue on. And description/page layout (bright neon yellow text on white background is a no, just in case anyone was wondering).
Pages: first 123456 next last