[RM2K3] [RMVX ACE] CURRENT STATUS OF WINDOWS 8 COMPATABILITY?

Pages: 1
Hullo RMN, long time no see. Just a quick question - I'm at a stage of game development where I've got a sizeable amount of resources made but must now choose between putting them into 2K3 or converting for VX Ace. (Considering how much 2K3 meets my requirements and preferences, it'd be great not to have to upgrade if I didn't absolutely have to! But I am aware that sometimes one must get with the times.)

Been out of the loop for a good while, but I've managed to find a couple of articles and forum threads on Windows 8 compatability, though none are particularly recent. So: I was just wondering what the prevailing wisdom currently is with regards to Windows 8/whether RM2K3 games seem likely to be widely unplayable in the relatively near future? The impression I get is that a lot of the time it'd only be people dedicated enough to seek intricate workarounds who'd be able to get it to work - would you say this accurate? Or do they generally still seem playable enough? Cheers.
I don't have problems with rpg maker 2003 on Windows 8 and 8.1
The main problem I have is display scaling, I think it's called.

On the Compatiblity section if you right click, check Disable Display Scaling for High DPI Settings. This will prevent the stupid computer from trying to scale a 320x240 or 640x480 as a 1280x960 (or higher), avoiding useless lag and choppy graphics rendering (I wish they'd stop raising resolution).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
RM2K3 has some problems with modern monitors and video cards, which is not the same thing as having problems with Windows 8. They're solvable problems though. 99% of the time they're solvable by, uh, just pressing Ctrl+Enter to exit fullscreen mode. I've heard of people with more serious problems, but they're rare.

Players using tablets cannot use the on-screen keyboard to play the game, which is really annoying. However, this is also a problem in all of the newer RPG Makers.

You would think that the really old engines would have stopped working by now. However, RPG Maker 95 games run better on Windows 8 than they did on previous versions of Windows. Go figure. (The actual editor is another story.)
Ah, thanks very much, this is quite handy! Hmm, seems like 2K3 might be a safe enough bet after all. And thanks for clarifying about the Windows 8/videocard/monitor stuff, I wasn't too aware of all that.

Intersting about the RM95 thing. And I had not considered the matter of the actual editors! Whoops. Out of interest, do you know how the 2K3 editor generally fares on Windows 8?
Pages: 1