FF1 NOW ON 3DS. WITH MODE-7 ALL OVER.

Pages: first prev 12 last
I feel like anyone asking for a Mystic Quest remake hasn't played it. It was a really awful game.
That's why it needs a remake! It had kickin' music, just gotta get the rest of the game up to par!
author=WonderPup
I feel like anyone asking for a Mystic Quest remake hasn't played it. It was a really awful game.

MQ was my childhood, dude. I played the fuck out of that game and it was great. It had some issues - all games do - but it had a lot of great ideas in there that need to be revamped a little.

I personally love the battlefields - instead of running around on a map getting into random encounters I can win items by clearing out areas with x amount of monsters? Sweet!

Also, they didn't have random encounters which was nice - just invisible enemies at choke points. The interaction with the map was also really neat and I loved jumping over people and climbing walls. XD

There was a lot the game did well and that's what people remember when they look back at it. I would totally love to see a remake because it has a lot of promise to be a great game... it was just let down a little by bad old school game design techniques.

Frankly, I like it a lot even now.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Isn't the point of all these ports to make sure kids today play the original, in some shape or another? They have 14 main series games they want every generation to play. Each kid represents that much more money. Makes sense.
author=Dudesoft
Isn't the point of all these ports to make sure kids today play the original, in some shape or another? They have 14 main series games they want every generation to play. Each kid represents that much more money. Makes sense.

No, it doesn't, becuase there have been like, 6 ports of FFI in the past 10 years. Is that really necessary? Having an original version, and a later, improved definititive version of a product should really be enough. Where would the industry be if every developer spent money, time, and resources rereleasing the same thing every three years?

They could have stopped at the PS1 FFI port, there is nothing stopping anyone from downloading FFI from the PS Store and playing it on their PS3 and and their PSP, and if they wanted to not limit it to a system, they could have released it on the Xbox Arcade and the Wii online component as well.
author=WonderPup

Mystic Quest had a terrible storyline, characters, and dialogue. It had awesome exploration/navigation mechanics because of the tools, the onscreen encounters were new at the time, enemies changed graphics when they lost life which was pretty sweet, and the music was awesome. Battles were simplistic but competent. It really wasn't a terrible game, and when you put the story in the context of the era, it wasn't that much worse than other rpgs of the time. I don't know if I like it enough for it to need a remake, but I'm surprised at the amount of hate this game gets.
author=Liberty
MQ was my childhood, dude. I played the fuck out of that game and it was great. It had some issues - all games do - but it had a lot of great ideas in there that need to be revamped a little.

Hey Lib, have you played Final Fantasy Legend III? It was made by the same people and exhibits several of the same ideas.
...I liked the characters and story... I especially liked how your characters changed as you went and that they had their own lives outside of the main quest, but also that they came back to help when you needed it in the story. ^.^
I remember starting playing Mystic Quest (I refuse to call it a Final Fantasy xD) many years ago on an emulator, but I never finished it because I thought it was too repetitive... Yeah, yeah, you could say the same thing about any rpg, specially from that era, but for some reason I thought that Mystic Quest was even more so repetitive. Probably because you can only control two characters at a time, and you fight the same group of enemies over an over again, specially in those 'battlefield' areas.

That being said, the idea of remaking and old final fantasy has always been sitting in the back of my mind. Maybe I should finish it and remake that instead, just to show Squenix how remakes are done...... >_>;
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Feldschlacht IV
No, it doesn't, becuase there have been like, 6 ports of FFI in the past 10 years. Is that really necessary? Having an original version, and a later, improved definititive version of a product should really be enough. Where would the industry be if every developer spent money, time, and resources rereleasing the same thing every three years?

YES thank you for this. Hell, I don't even think FFX/X-2 needed a HD remaster - they already look great and could have just been released on Steam, like VII/VIII.
author=Liberty
...I liked the characters and story... I especially liked how your characters changed as you went and that they had their own lives outside of the main quest, but also that they came back to help when you needed it in the story. ^.^

As much as I want to defend a game that I enjoyed when I was a kid, the story is pretty objectively bad no matter how you slice it. "It's a product of its time" is about as far as I'd go.
Nah, I personally think it does it's job well! It's a self-parody game!
It's simplistic and a bit repetitive but it's a decent story non-the-less. Probably would have been better with a better translation. I liked it, even now. Granted, it's a personal preference so... :shrug:
author=Housekeeping
Man, Mystic Quest had some sweet music.

Final Fantasy 1 was great for its time, but it's not that good of a game. It didn't warrant one remake, let alone two (or is it more than that now?). I'll join the updated Final Fantasy 7 crowd: current gen graphics, faster combat, and a proofread script. Yes. Give it to me.

I almost agree with you... almost. I personally think the PSX version was warranted, since it allowed us to revisit the game we grew up with, but in a style that was reminiscent of the SNES era. But each release after that hasn't offered much.

Now we get it in 3D. I admit, at one point in life I wondered what it would look like in 3D, but I can't help but think this is a wasted effort, because no matter what, the story (or rather the lack of it) will probably remain the same. I'm big on both stories and game play in rpg's; even Final Fantasy II (NES) featured a much more epic plot).

It might have been better had they created a game from scratch using the first game as a sort of base for an idea, but how often does SE create games from scratch these days?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Dudesoft

They could have stopped at the PS1 FFI port, there is nothing stopping anyone from downloading FFI from the PS Store and playing it on their PS3 and and their PSP, and if they wanted to not limit it to a system, they could have released it on the Xbox Arcade and the Wii online component as well.
Uh, excuse me... My nephew plays Wii.
He has a tablet now. He likely won't know what PlayStation 1 is until / if he becomes a hardcore gamer.
His mother, if recommended, might get him the 'brand new' final fantasy for him. Y'see? Business, yo. It is the bottom dollar, not the ideal that WE who grew up with these games can stop seeing these games come out over and over again.
It sucks for you and I, but for Lil' Jesse its something he's never played, and why would he dig up an archaic console just to play a game available on the appstore or whatever?

Oh BTW, he's like 5 years old. When he's old enough to play this, or interested, the 3DS will be an old piece of garbage.
author=Liberty
Also, they didn't have random encounters which was nice - just invisible enemies at choke points. The interaction with the map was also really neat and I loved jumping over people and climbing walls. XD

The enemies were visible but stationary, right? I distinctly remember trying to jump over a crab in Falls Basin and being disappointed that I had to fight. Unless I'm forgetting a part of the game that featured invisible enemies? It's been twenty years :O
Liberty's in Australia. Was it different in the PAL version?
I was thinking of that one place - the mirror area? - where all the enemies were invisible. But yeah, aside from that place they were visible.
Pages: first prev 12 last