WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HAREM RPG'S?

Pages: first 123 next last
So, as the topic title says, I want to know your opinion about harem RPG's. Whatever the main character is male or female, and whatever the game is comedic, dramatic or a mix between both.

I ask this because one of my ideas for future games is a comedic harem RPG, and I want to know in what I'm getting into... So that: What do you have to say about it?
unity
You're magical to me.
When it comes to anime and games, harem ones have become a blight in many people's eyes. One of the main factors is because this type of story often have bland protagonists and don't establish any credible reasons for all these people to be in love with one person. They become an easy fantasy because, hey, lots of people would love to have a lot of attractive people wanting to be with them.

Even so, if this is really the kind of story you want to tell, then you should go for it, as I'm always an advocate of making the kind of game you want to make. I must admit that I don't generally enjoy these sorts of stories personally, generally because I want romance and deeper characterization, and 90% or more of these types of anime and games lack that, regardless of the gender of the main character or the harem members.

Will there be resolution and options to seek out certain people for dating, or will this be one where the harem situation is status-quo and the main character doesn't end up with any certain one person?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=unity
They become an easy fantasy because, hey, lots of people would love to have a lot of attractive people wanting to be with them.

I wonder how many people can identify with recoiling in horror at every romantic advance made at them, as these protagonists seem to always do.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
author=unity
They become an easy fantasy because, hey, lots of people would love to have a lot of attractive people wanting to be with them.
I wonder how many people can identify with recoiling in horror at every romantic advance made at them, as these protagonists seem to always do.

Haha, yeah! It becomes this amazing limbo, because they almost always make the main character super-pure to the point of almost seeming terrified of romance. Because if they have the main character show interest in any harem member, the status-quo will be ruined XD
Maybe I used wrong the "harem" term, I think it's more like a dating sim. Let me explain more:

See, the main character and the female party members start as acquintances who form a party for a group quest and none of them start with a crush on the MC. During the game, you can acces to date events to increase a character's affection, but these are optional, so the MC may as well end single by the end of the game... But I'm also planning the chance of a "harem ending", so in conclusion...

...I don't know what to think about it.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Ilan14
Maybe I used wrong the "harem" term, I think it's more like a dating sim. Let me explain more:

See, the main character and the female party members start as acquintances who form a party for a group quest and none of them start with a crush on the MC. During the game, you can acces to date events to increase a character's affection, but these are optional, so the MC may as well end single by the end of the game... But I'm also planning the chance of a "harem ending", so in conclusion...

...I don't know what to think about it.

Aaah, I gotcha! I'm making a game with elements like that myself!

Yeah, that's an idea. You just need to keep in mind that you'll be writing a lot of dialog for dating each party member, and you may want to alter some characters dialog based on your relationship with them :D
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'll say what I said in the other, suspiciously similar topic. Create the aesthetic you want to make, and tell the story you want to tell. If you want advice about how to do a better job at telling that story and building that aesthetic, I'll be here giving bad suggestions until the end of time. There are no bad stories, only badly told stories.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I don't think I've ever actually seen one...I mean, FF7 had lots of aspects of this, I guess, but in the end it was down to a fairly basic love triangle and there were no lack of male (and 'other') party members.

I've played a lot of RPGs but I'm hard pressed to recall one with a party consisting of one dude and a bunch of chicks. (Am I being too literal about this, or have I just not played as many RPGs as I thought?)
LockeZ
I have played a few combination dating sims/RPGs. The kind that you have to use Atlas + Anime Games Text Hook to translate the dialogue boxes through Bing because they are in Japanese. There aren't many English ones, and they definitely aren't sold at Gamestop. Most dating sims are visual novels, but if you look hard you can find ones that are actual games.

Of course, RPGs with relationship systems are a dime a dozen. There's a very heavy overlap with western RPGs though, because the idea is all about giving the player control over the direction of the story. Which means that the player can probably also choose their main character's gender, which in turn means there has to be a mixed-gender cast to accomodate them.
@unity: I appreciate the tip, thanks!

@LockeZ: Thanks also for the support, LockeZ! Bad suggestions are always better than no suggestions at all! :)
Harem stories usually suck pretty badly, since the love interest is easy to identify and you know the person with the harem is going to choose that person in question. (especially true in any type of anime)

The rest are just there to lament how they'll never have said person with a harem, or to stir up drama and leave once they realize what the viewer does.

If you can avoid the obvious outcome, it stands to be an interesting story regardless of what gender the lead is. But in order for this to work, you'd have to either give the player a choice, or give every character balanced amount of screen-time and importance. Sadly, even with choosing your own love interest, it's still easy to tell who the developers wanted you to choose.
I remember growlanser wayfarer of time working like that.
Star Ocean 2 featured this I think...
And this seems like the fun kind of thing to be completely broken and inverted.
At the least expected moment.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
The description of your game reminds of Mimana Iyar Chronicle for the PSP, and that game was the single worst piece of shit to ever enter my home. They didn't focus on either the RPG or Dating Sim aspect of the game, so it turned out to be a game with virtually no plot, super easy combat, a soundtrack with about ten songs on it, ten hours of gameplay, and several character endings that were almost inaccessible because you had to max out the relationship with a character to get their ending, and the game gave you almost no time to do so for all but two characters you get early on.

-End Rant, Begin Relevant Response-

I think the concept can be done well, but if it comes down to doing one of the two aspects well or half-assing both aspects, then focus on one so you come out with something that can be appreciated as either a RPG or a Dating Sim.

I say go for it if that's what you want to do, but at least make all possible love interests possible to obtain. I understand having one or two "secret" endings, but nobody wants to be stuck choosing between the twelve-year-old or nerdy nymphomaniac due to serious design flaws.
It sounds like you had a hard time with that game... :P

But seriously, don't worry because I'm going to make the effort to make all endings accesible, but also going to try to put also a good effort in the other aspects of the game.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! :)
Is this a feminist thread in disguise?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
That was really unnecessary.
author=NeverSilent
author=NeverSilent
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=SnowOwl
Is this a feminist thread in disguise?

I'm starting to get the feeling you're not actually an owl.

My opinion on "harem" games? I dunno, I'm a one woman man, so having an army pursuing an individual rubs me the wrong way. "Dating sims" I'm fine with, though I would prefer a more consequential approach to them. I mean, I know that'd make an "unfun" game, but if you starting hitting on someone while also hitting on someone else and they found out about it, wouldn't they be just the slightest bit put-off by you?
Pages: first 123 next last