[SCRIPTING] A GRAMMAR QUESTION THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SCRIPTING.

Pages: 1
I've been to several sites and still no response for this. Anyway, which of the following sentences are grammatically correct?

As long as I practice running tomorrow, when it isn't raining, I'll have a chance to win the race.

As long as I practice running tomorrow when it isn't raining, I'll have a chance to win the race.

If I practice running tomorrow, when it isn't raining, I'll have a chance to win the race.

If I practice running tomorrow when it isn't raining, I'll have a chance to win the race.

I'm asking this as I'm messing with some old data files that deals with effects and such. For example: If it's XXX turn, when XXX character has "Generic Sword" equipped, that character has a 50% chance to heal HP.
Why the hell are you asking in this area that is for game help? >.<

Fine... let's see then.

Frankly, I'd change the whole sentence completely if you're worried about how it reads.

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll practice running. That way I'll have a chance to win the race.

If I want to win the race I should practice running. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

Here's hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow! I've plans to practice for the race.

Oh, I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! I need to practice so I have a chance of winning the race!

Also, I don't see the connection at all...
author=Liberty
Why the hell are you asking in this area that is for game help? >.<

Because the clause structure of those questions serve as generic representations of dozens of effects I'm creating for my game. I know I can just rewrite the sentence, but the above structures in particular has been boggling me. For instance (straight from the game, btw): When any party member Boosts except Cliff, if Cliff's IP Symbol isn't at or past COM, he'll build (5*(X))% IP.

My goal is for a clear clarification of when, what, and how every effect in my game operates without confusing the player because of poorly structured grammar.

Besides, this is the "Help, Me!" board and I am asking for help.

Thanks for the response though.
I believe all four to be grammatically correct, in fact. But you know, this isn't the best approach to programming.
author=JosephSeraph
I believe all four to be grammatically correct, in fact. But you know, this isn't the best approach to programming.

Thank you, & agreed.

Forgive me all if my question came off as bizarre or something. There was no OTHER option tag of the sort related to this, so I just picked the next 'best' thing.
It would have helped to explain that a little more in the initial post. It's Help Me, forum, yes, but it's for game help and it seemed more like you were looking for writing help. It was a little confusing. XD

But for your sentences, I think the clearest of them is the third, but the second has the best flow. Reading out loud helps - if you find yourself stumbling over a word or it sounds wrong, then that's usually an issue of some kind.
All of the sentences are grammatically correct. The noun phrase "tomorrow when it isn't raining" is awkward, but correct. Injecting "when it isn't raining" into the middle of the sentence makes the sentence more ambiguous, like you could be saying that you'll win the race when it isn't raining. It reads like two dangling modifiers in a row.

The best sentence is: "I'll have a chance to win the race as long as I practice running tomorrow, when it isn't raining." This is the best sentence, because "when it isn't raining" unambiguously modifies "tomorrow" only.
Perfect, Zach. That'll help me out alot. :)

Thanks again, Liberty, for being very understandable about this, & thanks everyone for the quick responses. I appreciate it. Thread can be locked now.
Sure. If you want it unlocked for whatever reason, just PM me.
Pages: 1