SCREENSHOT SURVIVAL 20XX

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Crystalis was a great-looking NES game. Everybody should give it a whirl because it played really well too!
I loved the post apocalyptic setting of that game.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist

It's been a while since I don't post an image ITT. This is a screenshot of the very first scene of the game. Let me know your thoughts!
author=Pulits
It's been a while since I don't post an image ITT. This is a screenshot of the very first scene of the game. Let me know your thoughts!

I wish the character matched the style of the cool hand drawn looking background. That staircase (if that's a staircase on the right) looks weird there on its own.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=Infinite
I wish the character matched the style of the cool hand drawn looking background. That staircase (if that's a staircase on the right) looks weird there on its own.

Thank you for your comments! Yeah, the background and sprites do contrast, it's kind of hard to make them match with the limited options 2k3 provides.

But also, some other games have mismatching elements and they kinda blend. Xenogears for example, which uses 3D rendered backgrounds and 2D pixel sprites.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Frogge
Speaking in all caps?
Laughing like Nyeh Heh Heh?
A skeleton?
THAT'S PAPYRUS!
Actually it's leatherneck, which is also a font.

As is King Richard.

That's the extent of the direct inspiration undertale has had. We already went into most of this earlier. It is definitely meant as a fairly subtle good natured nod. The Fonts Flying Leatherneck and King Richard aren't infamous, and Arial can be a legitimate name.

author=Sated
I really like how that game looks, BM. I would say that the kitchen stuff seems small compared to some of the other objects, like the computer desk or the bookcase. Maybe make that stuff a bit bigger.
I wish i had time but I have a day left for presentation.

author=Sated
Courage the Cowardly Dogwas awesome.
I wholeheartedly agree, Eustace was probably my favourite character.

@Liberty: Sorry I'm late, i didn't see your response earlier. I agree with all you've said. The barricade will be gone in the patches to follow, right now it's a lazy "Area is Under Construction" sign thing.

I look forward to being able to work on it again.

This is a graveyard that will be host to all bosses you defeat, or if you don't end up kill them, they'll give you a Chalice, getting all 12 Chalices will open the Hall of Heroes (think sort of like the one in Medievil)

Defeating bosses is mandatory, but during combat you'll be given prompts to do certain things, there's three endings, one for the Mysterymen of Terra, one for the Heroes of Terra, and one for the new rulers of Terra.

It's my first real delve into a player choice system, a demo will be available once I find out how to appease the web beavers into approving it.

I'll ask on the apropos thread about that, later. Right now I've gotta just buckle down and get my assignments done as best I can.

I love this new RTP so much.
@BizarreMonkey, all of that sounds pretty cool. I'm pretty excited to see the results.

Not really fond of the building, as I'm feeling that it is still a bit too square-y, same goes for the graveyard. It looks a bit too square for me.
But besides all of that, atmosphere looks pretty good and the rest of the map looks nice. Like I said, I'm excited to see the results.

Also, been trying to find some decent motivation to make progress on my current project and decided to start working on the town the game will take place in.
(This is only a small segment of the town, so ye lol)

NPC's and atmosphere may be added later.

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
@Sated: Thanks for the headsup, I'll see what I can do about that.

author=charblar
@BM if your ever going to use the excuse that your ideas came before undertake remember this isn't a really new project. The kickstarter was live during June of 2013 and they already had the demo made.
I had talking radical skeletons in 2011 and talking flowers in late 2012, that's only as far back as I can prove. Skeletopians have been a thing I've worked with since 2003. Also I didn't know of Undertale personally until late 2014, so this point is redundant anyway.

Basically finished up on all the graphics for Boned.

I like the masochistic squirrels and the Imp Lady a lot. Here feel free to check them out.

The Bumblebee (thanks for the inspiration dookie), Skwautz (a play on SQUATS AND OATS!!!) and the Imp-lady are the bosses, with Imp-lady who i've yet to name being the final boss.

The Squirrels love falling from high distances and bleeding. They're nuts!

The Boars are completely indignant and wont move their stubbornly seated ass unless bribed with berries.

The four flowers are each different. The Flower of Sentience is Richard's vitriolic friend, not one who is actually planning to murder you. The Flower of Impatience is the 'tutorial boss' and really doesn't like Richard at all.

The third one along is the Flower of Melancholy, he's sad about pretty much everything and tends to ramble.

Then finally is the Flower of Apathy, who just doesn't care, sort of just says whatever he feels like. Hmm reminds me of someone!
Withlove
Fangee, who crawled out of the abyss
I didn't like RPG Maker MV's default battle menu look, so I played and altered it.

Also, I got clever and made a way to check a character's status effects / buffs in-depth.

The carpetting would probably end one tile back from the doorway since the walls have depth. Otherwise it would be spilling out into the next area.
The two Mack tile windows probably shouldn't be used right next to each other in the second image. It's very weird. I... have to admit I'm not a fan of what you've done to the mack tiles. They're grainy and don't look as good. Sorry. ^.^;

@Withlove: That looks really neat. If you'd like to share those scripts, we do have a section for them on the site~ XD
I love the idea of checking not only the status effects but also seeing what they actually do!
Withlove
author=Liberty
@Withlove: That looks really neat. If you'd like to share those scripts, we do have a section for them on the site~ XD
I love the idea of checking not only the status effects but also seeing what they actually do!

Unfortunately, the stuff I did to the UI is probably not the most compatible due to a reliance on in-game switches and dependence on Yanfly scripts. (D-don't ask how. I'm not an expert coder yet.) However, Bobstah on the RPG Maker Web forums expressed a possibility of converting my design into a more compatible/usable plugin, so there's that to look forward to. :)

I could probably share the snippet of code to change the actor names into faces, though. Maybe add a picture option if I can figure out notetags. (I'm still learning Javascript as I go).

As for the Status Window, it's done by creating a "Skill" that corresponds to each state. These skills are in a "Status" category and aren't usable, but display information as needed. States then "teach" actors these skills to be seen on the menu. Maybe not an elegant solution, but it certainly works a lot better than one would expect.

@Libby:
I admit, I'm not to happy with the grainy look of the tiles myself ( not only that, but the colours appear washed out >< ). Then again, the Mack edits were some of my earlier pixel works, so maybe a reworking of those objects are in order. =)
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
withlove i am a big fan of what you're doing. barettesboy looks like his faceset should be aligned a little lower to match the rest of the cast though?
So I was pretty excited for the possibility of doing sideview sprites for my next project, but the more I experimented with it, the more I've wanted to go back to frontview.

I've always felt like frontview works better in games where it's inferred that the protagonist is a representation of the player, since the monsters are looking at you, the player. And that's usually the direction I take things in. Games like Dragon Quest where the hero is player-named and silent are a great example of this.

I kinda want to write and submit an article on the subject.

Well anyway, here's a rough thing I made.

Withlove
author=Craze
withlove i am a big fan of what you're doing. barettesboy looks like his faceset should be aligned a little lower to match the rest of the cast though?

Yeah, I've tried to fix his face alignment through my plugin, but I might just need to use a separate image file instead. That's probably the easiest solution anyways.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
First world problems: RPG Maker MV is now capable of supporting a high enough resolution that screenshots of it don't fit in forum posts