[GAME JAM] A JAM FOR LEELAH

Pages: first 12 next last
JamForLeelah Homepage

Hey, you guys may have heard the heartbreaking story of Leelah Alcorne, a teenage transgender girl who, after being pulled out of high school and forced to attend conversion therapy by her religious parents, tragically committed suicide on 28 December 2014.

Matt Boucher and Kara Jayne are hosting a Game Jam in Leelah's honour, to raise awareness of transgender issues and to also raise money for LGBTQ charities.

The jam is set to take place between 17 January and 17 February.

There are some guidelines:
author=JamForLeelah
Each submission must fit at least one of these requirements and be submitted before Midnight February 17th to be eligible for this jam:

Be primarily centered around trans issues, or other issues related to gender identity. This can be anything from having a trans protagonist to a game about growing up trans or navigating gender identity issues. Please be respectful, as anything that is purposefully disrespectful to the LGBTIQ community, or specifically the trans community, will be removed without hesitation.

Use inspiration from Leelah's art/music/ideas to primarily create a game, whilst still attempting to raise awareness about trans youth issues and trans representation in the execution of that idea. A small collection of Leelah's work can be found here.

Be inspired by Leelah's interests as expressed on her Tumblr e.g. sailor moon, female empowerment, fashion, anime, gaming, etc whilst still attempting to raise awareness about trans youth issues and trans representation in the execution of that idea. Leelah's Tumblr can be accessed via a backup here.

I don't know if I'll be able to take part as I'll be away for most of this period, but I sure would like to. I thought I'd spread the word in case anybody else was interested.
I think I might just participate. This is a very important issue, and one I hold very (not?) dearly.
unity
You're magical to me.
Reading about this and her struggles and death made me cry. What a tragic situation.

I've wanted to make a game about transgender issues for a while now. Depending on how much time I have after the McBacon Jam, I may enter.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I don't really know what to say about this story, except for that I read it and it was heartbreaking but incredibly, depressingly unsurprising.

I don't know if I'll have time to do the jam, and if I did I don't know if I'd be able to do it anyway - I feel much, much too unqualified to write about trans issues, especially in a short jam game... but maybe a game concerning gender roles or gender identity? I don't know.

Anyway, the jam definitely seems like a positive gesture :) The best of luck to everyone who participates!
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I really want to do this and I'll see if I have time to participate since I'm trans myself and did talk to her before what happened. The time frame is pretty decent too so if I have something I can come up with in the next day or two I'll look into signing up.
@slashphoenix: There's the potential collab option if you don't feel comfortable writing about this kind of stuff but still want to participate.

What if I want to participate, but don't feel comfortable discussing trans narratives I don't myself identify with?We understand it may be difficult to make a game about an issue that is very specific in which people have not had exposure. Even with exposure to trans issues, it can be difficult to navigate what is and isn't offensive, and how best to illustrate certain concepts without being within the community itself. For this reason, if you would like to tweet your skillset under the #JamForLeelah tag, along with a message that you're open to collaboration, we would be happy to facilitate a match up.

It's an option I'm considering, myself! IDK if I'll have the time to do a project on my own but a collab is a lot more feasible. All the stuff I actually finish is collab work, anyways, SO... hey, if anyone reading this is interested in participating and wants to work together, drop me a line and maybe we can work something out. I can bring art, writing, design, and pretty shitty programming skills to the table. Stunning credentials, I know.
I'd like to join this too but I think my hands are full with the McBacon Jam.

Sailerius
did someone say angels
That and it also overlaps with GlobalGameJam, which is a strange choice since GGJ is always one of the biggest gamejams of the year.
Hi all,

This is one of the admins for #JamForLeelah and I'd just like to say if there are any questions regarding the jam, feel free to ask or tweet me at @riotjayne.

I'm a huge fan of rpgmaker personally, so I'd love to see some rpgs submitted in the jam.

And thanks for sharing!
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Intersex Questioning
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
If I had known about this soon enough, I would have considered putting off my gamejam for the time being. It's a little late for that though, and I'm not gonna let the people who've taken the time to help me and chose to participate down. I will wish #JamForLeelah well though.
author=Sailerius
That and it also overlaps with GlobalGameJam, which is a strange choice since GGJ is always one of the biggest gamejams of the year.

Never heard of it. :shrug:

I'd join in if I weren't already making a game that deals with a character who questions their gender and deals with not being in the right body (due to magical mishap but still).

I hope it gets all the love and attention it deserves, though.
author=JosephSeraph
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Intersex Questioning

The community really went to hell once they opened it up to philosophers.
Gotta wonder where Ace is in that mouthful of labels. It's ridiculous how often they're forgotten (The A never stands for ally, guys. It stands for Ace. As in 'not interested in sex, ever, thanks, bye' and other assorted variations there-of.)
yeah, it's a shame. But honestly, i'm against any and all sorts of labels. The more you try to label something, the more ridiculous it gets. I know it's somewhat helpful, but still...
author=JosephSeraph
yeah, it's a shame. But honestly, i'm against any and all sorts of labels. The more you try to label something, the more ridiculous it gets. I know it's somewhat helpful, but still...

Maybe so but if others feel better for having a label that they feel defines them, then it's small fries to just go along with it. It's not hurting either party, so...
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=PentagonBuddy
@slashphoenix: There's the potential collab option if you don't feel comfortable writing about this kind of stuff but still want to participate.

What if I want to participate, but don't feel comfortable discussing trans narratives I don't myself identify with?We understand it may be difficult to make a game about an issue that is very specific in which people have not had exposure. Even with exposure to trans issues, it can be difficult to navigate what is and isn't offensive, and how best to illustrate certain concepts without being within the community itself. For this reason, if you would like to tweet your skillset under the #JamForLeelah tag, along with a message that you're open to collaboration, we would be happy to facilitate a match up.

It's an option I'm considering, myself! IDK if I'll have the time to do a project on my own but a collab is a lot more feasible. All the stuff I actually finish is collab work, anyways, SO... hey, if anyone reading this is interested in participating and wants to work together, drop me a line and maybe we can work something out. I can bring art, writing, design, and pretty shitty programming skills to the table. Stunning credentials, I know.

Ahh, that's perfect. I don't think I'm going to have time to join, but this is a good option for people who want to help where they can. I would love to see more games about gender identity :) I didn't get to touch on it as much as I would've liked in Mirror Boy.
well said, Liberty. This probably isn't the time or place to critique semantics.
author=Liberty
author=JosephSeraph
Maybe so but if others feel better for having a label that they feel defines them, then it's small fries to just go along with it. It's not hurting either party, so...

I agree, I think I carried over the mood from another conversation and mindlessly put it in my reply. But yeah! I've been accompanying a cool Ace page on facebook, it's a shame that they don't get that many likes because the few people that they reach, they do help a lot.

Ace people are cool <3
Pages: first 12 next last