[POLL] WOULD IT BE SEXIST TO HAVE DIFFERENT STARTING STATS BASED ON YOUR CHARACTER'S SELECTED GENDER?

Poll

Do you think this would be sexist? - Results

Yes
30%
No
43%
Maybe
25%

Pages: first 12345 next last
Basically my idea for character creation in the dungeon crawler I'm making is to have all of your stats begin at 5, but depending on which race, class, religion, and possibly sex you choose for your character you will either recieve bonuses or penalties ro your starting attribute scores.

My thought would be for male characters to recieve a +3 to strength and a +3 to
endurance, while female characters would recieve a +3 to dexterity and a +3 to
intelligence. All characters would be able to max these stats to 100 regardless of
their gender as long as their race and class allow it, obviously I wouldnt want to allow an orc barbarian to have 100 INT...

I just want to get people's opinion on this. I don't want to spend a year or 2 working on this game just to release it and have people get mad about something I came up with before I even created the new project file.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
A physical difference resulting in... physical differences? Yeah I think a charcter's body the one thing that their sex or race is definitely allowed to affect. Rename intelligence to magic, though.
Yes it would because it doesn't actually make a difference what sex you are, you can be agile or buff or w/e. This isn't dependent on sex. Colette Dowling has written an entire book on this and I'm sure you could find more material in the same vein should you do the research. Just because different bodies pack on obvious muscle doesn't mean they're stronger than a body that has less obvious muscles! In fact, it's often speculated that if an evenly matched man and woman got into a fight, the woman would win, simply because her centre of gravity is lower.

Plus, like, restricting things based on gender in games is no fun anyway! I say do as Skyrim does and stick to giving stat bonuses based on species, but let the player max everything out if they want to. Personally, I love making atypical characters, so a giant orc that's actually a master wizard and total weiner at swordplay would be wonderfully fun.
Yeah, I'm sure you could find way better ways to make characters innately unique from one another. You don't have to resort to using gender differences for anything since in terms of the game itself a custom character's gender is pretty much just a different paint job. Things like classes and skill choices make up the real meat of the game.
Just make all your characters look and act like this:

Then nobody can find any faults in what you do.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Sexist or not, from a gameplay standpoint, assigning mechanical stats to race and gender limits the player's choices. Like, if I was gonna play a dude orc mage but it turns out that Male Orc is the worst possible stat combo for mage... it feels bad, even if it makes sense in the game's world or whatever. You'd get pigeonholed into picking a race/gender combo to min/max, and I don't think the "world-building" is worth it.

EDIT: Thinking about it a little more, even if it's more common for men to have greater muscle mass, it makes sense that the people heeding the call of the warrior are likely to be naturally strong, anyway - regardless of gender - just like how if you're taller, you're more likely to try out for basketball.
I will call the police. They will definitely arrest you.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
What slash said, people probably want to be able to play as their chosen gender without having to have it affect their stats.
Yes and no. I guess by definition alone some could argue that it is indeed sexist. But I think the implications of the word are too severe for something so trivial at the stats distribution in a game. I would simply call it "tropey", or 'lazy' at worst, but nothing nefarious like that. It would also depend of what kind of game you're aiming for and how flexible the system ends up being; A lighthearted game could easily "get away" (ugh) with this, but If you're aiming for a more serious game, then the more complexity you put into it, the better... And like other have said, as long as you can play as whatever you want and still have the possibility to be good at it, you should be fine. I would see it as challenge to build an Orc mage that can go toe to toe with all other units regardless of class, race or gender.

But don't worry too much about this. When people want an excuse to be mad at something, they'll even get mad at their own shadows.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean I didn't think so but I will bow to Emmych's judgement, as she knows a lot more than me about the topic and its history, and can cite sources.

Also it does make perfect sense that some people might want to make a character based on themself (or, alternately, a character of the gender that they're attracted to) without their class choices becoming limited by that. That's something that's unavoidable in character-driven games, where each character has their own gameplay style... but when the player is making their own characters, it's just alienating players.

If you just want the tactical choice, let the player choose an zodiac sign or an elemental affinity or a patron deity, and base the stats on that.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Think gender roles and think how antiquated they are. Now imagine if I wanted to start a female warrior who's agnostic. Why would I when the male warrior who's Christian would clearly be better in every respect? There's your problem.

Do you really want that on your conscious? "Women can't be warriors, that's silly" is what your game is going to be subconsciously saying. "My religion is better than your religion" is also a silly concept and one that's just going to come across as bigoted regardless of how fanciful your game is.

It's a game; you have every responsibility to make the player chosen character as equal as possible. Things should only change if they decide to be a wizard instead of a warrior and that grants them +15 magic instead of +5 strength (and don't subconsciously make a majority of your wizards women because "women are more suited for the squishy mage jobs").

I played a game that clearly tried to pigeonhole the female protagonist into being a healer (because women are white mages 100% of the time, no exceptions), and I walked out feeling absolutely appalled, despite being a male myself. I'm not going to mention names/point fingers because the last time I did that, I got bashed. Just know that you play as a teenage girl who still has her mother make breakfast for her and who is accompanied by a very-clearly male robot who starts off actually being able to do damage and who also has a fire spell.

author=Corfaisus
Don't you love it when you have a female protagonist that can do literally nothing but die, despite being a fighter? "Now use your skills!" You have no skills. Your robot has a skill and can take more than one hit before dying, but you, the main heroine? Nope. Without a sharp object in your hands, you can't even damage a flower by yourself; a flower. Go back to doing what the other women in this fantasy world are doing: working in the kitchen and knitting sweaters (or take it on the chin by being a squishy healer).

I shouldn't even be the one getting offended. We've got a long way to go.

A helpful quote that followed that by our very own Liberty:

author=Liberty
^Very yes. It's super fucked up. Games like that are annoying. I mean, fair enough if her character is such that she's not a fighter, or that she's been traumatised or her blade is possessed and forces her to fight, but if she's supposed to be an actual real fighter with real skills as a fighter, then she should know how to throw a punch outside of her blade, and still do some damage without it. Hell, I'm not a fighter of any kind and I know how to fucking throw a punch!
author=Emmy
Yes it would because it doesn't actually make a difference what sex you are, you can be agile or buff or w/e. This isn't dependent on sex. Colette Dowling has written an entire book on this and I'm sure you could find more material in the same vein should you do the research. Just because different bodies pack on obvious muscle doesn't mean they're stronger than a body that has less obvious muscles! In fact, it's often speculated that if an evenly matched man and woman got into a fight, the woman would win, simply because her centre of gravity is lower.

This is tricky, and not easily dismissed like what you're doing.

There is a distinct physical difference between men and women that just cannot be ignored. Due to genetics, hormone differences, size, and so on, a man and woman of similar physical profiles, the man will almost always be stronger. That's just the reality of it. The absolute strongest female I know is a beast, a monster in the gym and her physique puts a lot of guys to shame, but when it comes to straight up strength, she's just the strongest female out of most, and most dudes with equal dedication to strength are still stronger than her.

It would be a very easy argument; men are stacked to be biologically stronger than women, with little exception. It takes considerable advantage on the part of the woman for this not to be true.

There is obviously a lot of leeway in regards to fiction to get around this, but that's from a real world basis.

author=Emmy
Plus, like, restricting things based on gender in games is no fun anyway!

Stat wise, no, but storyline wise, I'm not so sure. Gender is a huge part of who we are and how society sees us, and how we see ourselves. It would be sort of a disservice to pretend it doesn't matter at all.

I'm reminded of a player who wrote J. Sawyer (of Fallout fame) a letter asking why a female character can't compete in the Caesar's Legion's sidequest of a battle tournament. To those not in the know, in the Fallout universe, the Legion is an extremely sexist empire of slavers. Sawyer replied by stating that gender is important to the gameplay experience, and each gender having different experiences in the game world is consistent with the game world in the mythos; the Legion is incredibly sexist towards females, and they're not going to treat the P.C. any different.

author=Emmy
! In fact, it's often speculated that if an evenly matched man and woman got into a fight, the woman would win, simply because her centre of gravity is lower.

I'd like to see some facts on this. Source?
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I'm like, 50/50 with you there, Feldschlacht. Averages can't be safely applied to a particular individual, y'know? While men might have more average muscle mass than women, that doesn't change the fact that a woman who works out every day and is 6 feet could probably take out a guy who's 5'4 and is fairly sedentary - and it's also pretty likely that that's the same type of woman who would become a berserker or fighter instead of a mage (biology be damned) - in which case, their class should probably affect their base stats, not their gender.

The other half of that - writing stories and plots that involve gender - involves what your game is trying to do. If you're trying to build a "realistic world" - that is, as realistic as a postnuclear apocalypse gets - then yea, a gender-centric storyline might make sense. However, now you're delving into territory of "I better know what the hell I'm doing or find someone who does" and you better make sure that whatever "world-building" you're doing is worth the cost - in Fallout's case, is restricting female characters' access to a quest worth it? I know it'd be frustrating to find out I couldn't see parts of the game because I wanted to play a girl. On the other side of the coin, in some cases it makes more sense - restricting who you can hook up with in Dragon Age, for example, based on the NPC's sexual orientation - feels a little less frustrating. In general, that's the kind of area I'd wanna be very careful with.

The above doesn't apply to a lot of games, though - in a heavily stat-based (and often story-light) genre like a roguelike, changing my characters' stats due to their gender doesn't serve a strong world-building purpose, and just serves to give people a false customization option (Pick whatever gender you want! But not the sub-optimal one). It's frustrating and doesn't benefit the game design.

That said, I like LockeZ's idea of picking a zodiac or elemental affinity for stat growth - plus, that gives you way more freedom for stat-customizing than just a male/female gender choice.
author=Slash
I'm like, 50/50 with you there, Feldschlacht. Averages can't be safely applied to a particular individual, y'know? While men might have more average muscle mass than women, that doesn't change the fact that a woman who works out every day and is 6 feet could probably take out a guy who's 5'4 and is fairly sedentary - and it's also pretty likely that that's the same type of woman who would become a berserker or fighter instead of a mage (biology be damned) - in which case, their class should probably affect their base stats, not their gender.

Oh of course, a female six foot tall powerlifting gladiator is going to crush the male 5'4 skinny nerd, every time. However I was referring to the averages as a whole; there are far, far more 6 foot tall males than vice versa, and far more 5'4 females than vice versa, and even a male and female who were both 5'10 powerlifting lumberjacks, the male is going to be stronger, almost every single time. The biology is just that stacked when it comes to that distinction between genders.

Fortunately though, like you said and I said, in a fantasy world of your own making this doesn't matter at all! You can easily make a 6'1 female bodyguard with the highest physical stats in the game, and you can go the other route and make your 5'2 lady haul around a waraxe with the best of them. In a video game this really doesn't matter, however I posted what I did to illustrate that if you did make stats weighted in one way or the other with genders, if nothing else, at least the strength aspect is actually rooted in biology.

As for the rest of it, go nuts.
Depends on what you're putting the gender choice in for in the first place.

If the whole point of character building is mechanical, so the only reason a player would have to make, say, an orc mage, is to give their character the gameplay characteristics of the "orc" and "mage" templates, then I guess the implications might bother some people, but you're not really shoehorning anyone into story-based decisions they don't want for mechanical reasons. If the choices are driving elements of the story though, you don't want to force the player's hand on them.

Personally, I prefer just using casts of fully unique predesigned characters. If your party contains a highly accomplished swordswoman, would she be stronger if she had instead been a swordsman? Maybe, but it's a kind of meaningless hypothetical because you can't just have someone grow up a different gender from birth and be remotely the same person, and there was never a male version of her who could have joined your party in the first place.
There's also the storyline aspect to it.

In Dragon Age: Origins (and Mass Effect), your gender doesn't have any stat differences whatsoever; however, it does have plot differences, namely, who you can romance, which plays a significant role in the plot if you choose to do so. You can play your character however you want in terms of orientation; gay, straight, bisexual, or what have you, but the characters are the same. Some are straight, gay, or bisexual.

Considering you can't make the NPCs change their orientation outside of what they already are, you're 'limited' by your gender in that way. Either gender can romance Zevran because he goes both ways, but if you want to romance Alistair, you have to be a female, since he's not into dudes.

So that's something to consider, while gender can be made entirely equal gameplay wise, it can also be made to impact how others interact with you.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Well I'd say that from a gameplay perspective rather than a sexist perspective, people don't normally associate gender choice with something that would affect their stats, so unless that is completely clear, I'd steer away from that line of thinking.
To be clear though; gender bases stat choices is contentious, because besides for stats that might contribute to Strength and Defense weighted towards dudes (and only in the real world), you get into weird realms of thoughts like stats like Intelligence being gender weighted, which is...controversial.

I've played a few games where Magic was gender specific for several plot related reasons, but that's another thing as well. Basically, I don't think there's anything wrong with genders being different in some way if the designer chooses. They already are! The thing to get straight is that you don't want to put the player in a situation where picking one gender or the other is worse.
author=Feldschlacht IV
To be clear though; gender bases stat choices is contentious, because besides for stats that might contribute to Strength and Defense weighted towards dudes (and only in the real world), you get into weird realms of thoughts like stats like Intelligence being gender weighted, which is...controversial.

There's a whole host of reasons why I prefer to avoid linking magic ability to "intelligence." At least in some Western RPGs it comes with associated changes in roleplaying options, but when it has nothing to do with how the characters behave, it's just all kinds of nonsensical, and considering how easy it is to avoid that by just changing the name of the stat, I feel like there's really no excuse.
Pages: first 12345 next last