[RELEASE SOMETHING! DAY XIII] FEEDBACK THREAD

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Cash, I called him Erica XD.
Thanks for that Cashkitty. I'm not well atm so I seem to be mixing some stuff up. >.<;
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Sorry, Lib. I totally overlooked this thred. Maybe that's why I named my team The Man Who Shot Liberty and you surely have some valances at home.
Link to my post with links to my other posts

I'll be adding more later today. I'm looking forward to play Ebeth's demo and Cash's and 10 minute hero and Craze's Kiddos and...

Also this list you made is superbly useful, I already forgot some submissions. Luv
I haven't had a chance to try anything (real life yo), but I will respond to those who've reviewed AOF. Probably not going to block off any incomplete areas, esp. since there are only TWO left. (Terraco Caves and the final Main Quest Story area) So might as well finish those two up and start on events. Speaking of which, to comment on why there is no gameplay - My method was to finish the world building first, then populate it afterwards...the world building just about killed me though. Maybe the event populating will go faster? As for balancing the game, I've actually been doing that all along while building maps...I leveled up my characters and built maps in the order you 'should' be visiting them in and balancing stats, items, armors, monsters that way. Granted, more tweaking is probably needed, but I'm fairly confident I'm close to the balance I want already. Whew...but with this support, I probably should get back to Terraco...into the caves!
EDIT: Also, if you want gameplay video that exists - check out other AOF videos in that playlist that that video resides in. ;)

EDIT 2: Now that I think about it, I might do a very closed in-house alpha testing with certain interested parties if anyone wants to. You'd basically just be exploring the entire world and killing monsters, taking loot from chests and...that's about it at the moment. Are there any takers? PM me if interested in this.
author=Corfaisus
@WCouillard: What's with the long pause before the battle transition starts?

Just a bit of video recording lag, not present in the actual game (made a note in the video that some parts lagged a bit while recording). The only times where intentional delays were put in place were during teleports to maps with animated parallax graphics, to allow them to load (I'm still working on trying to precache them to REALLY eliminate any loading time).
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
author=MakioKuta
Ebeth - Everything Will be Fine
Very interesting little demo. There's certainly some sound balancing things you might want to look into. Especially the sound effects in the shooter minigame and the music in the pipe puzzle. They were all much louder than the rest of the game. BTW Rach's score on the shooter was - 695!

Anyway, nice job building atmosphere. Gave me a few Yume Nikki vibes, especially in the bedroom. (writing in the diary, the mini game on the gaming system) Oh and once again, slick graphics~

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I definitely need to balance the audio! It totally slipped my mind. The Yume Nikki vibes were completely unintentional but given my massive love for that game I'm not surprised it happened.

Also 695?!? Wow! I've only got to 250 OTL
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Ok, first the stuff I don't have to play, then I'll get to any demo/game stuff tomorrow. Possibly.

Photometric: Fantastic style. The concept is also really interesting and I'm curious to see how these gameplay mechanics will play out, especially in a 2D setting. It seems like the kind of design that would mesh better in 3D, so as a result I'm looking forward to seeing it pulled off in a 2D arena.

Mace Blue: This has great atmosphere just from the screenshots. I'm loving the palette and presentation of the game page. I haven't played any of the other titles, so I'll probably give this a miss for actual gameplay feedback, but it looks great and sounds super interesting. There however seems to be a few grammar errors in the description.

Myriad Cipher: I love mission systems to pieces, so this is really great! It seems to be all evented, which is great also-- I never have the patience for that kind of thing (SLH uses Modern_Algebra's quest system), so kudos to you for that. I have mad respect for people who still mostly do eventing rather than resort to scripts.

Dragon Reign: Hmm...your mapping isn't bad (though are some of those sample maps?). The main character's portrait is kind of a deterrent though. We've seen so many games with the titty window. The design is just so stereotypical and overdone, man...
Plot is kinda cliche, but it works nicely for an RPG. My only real gripe is with her design, honestly.

I'll do some more tomorrow. It's super late where I am.
@Makio: Yep, I'm drawing all the graphics for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. I figured that with my poor to middling artistic skills, I better go for style and character over, like, legitly good stuff, haha. Glad you like it!

Alright, more feedback now:

@Merlandese: Nice use of dynamics in this piece; the song reminds me of the "shady" levels in Breath of Fire (because of the pizzicato lead, probably). I like the instrumentation, too, but I think a glockenspiel used for accents would be right at home in this piece. I really love melodic percussive stuff, though, so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe I just really like to say "glockenspiel." I'd also add a double bass (finger-style, not bowed) or electric bass to go along with the kick. The bass line doesn't have to be complex, but it'd add some dimension to the low end of your song.

@WCoulliard: I probably should watch the rest of this video, but one thing that stuck out to me very early on was the sound design. I don't know if your sounds are finalized at this point, but I'd consider dropping a lot of the rtp sounds. Even that wind BGS on the airship isn't really necessary; it reads "a lonely wind blowing in an empty desert" and not "wind rushing around you as you fly." The damage sound effect with the auto-crossbow sounds like each arrow is punching the enemy in the face with a cartoon boxing glove and the "your turn" sound effect feels off. I'd definitely use analogues from Final Fantasy for basically all of your sound design in order to maximize the nostalgia rush, which I would assume is the point of a fan game, anyway. It's cool to see that airship-under-attack sequence from FF6 in action again, though.

@Charblar: Not sure if this is an artistic choice or not, but have you considered adding a bit of bounce to your walk cycles? Also, the polaroid thing is cute, but I'm wondering what its purpose is. Are you actually saving those screenshots for use later in the game (I seem to remember a script that does this) or is it just a stylistic way to save?

@Unity: Man, all those different poses. I don't really have any good feedback (I should probably avoid graphical discussions now that I think about it), but I'm a bit taken aback by the sheer amount of frames you had to put together for this.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@CashmereCat: Posted elsewhere.

*Edit, @Ebeth: Posted elsewhere.

As an aside, has anybody gotten a Cargo Mission in the Myriad Cypher missions demo? The possibility should be there, but I've yet to see one (outside of when I forced it during testing).
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
@MakioKuta Thanks, You wouldn't like them. Chapter 2 wasn't ever finished and the first one is just terrible and plagued with Badglish (Englitch?).
I'll try to release this as soon as possible as I have some far better ideas fer future games in my head.
@Puddor I know about them cuz I make them all the time. Just can't learn these gramms.

And now, let's some more notes on something.
Gamepages
@CashmereCat
I've played through the demo and enjoyed doing so. It's so Zenny and relaxing. And It's really pro. I luv minimalistic maps with their upside down perspective. Everything has its purpose in the world of Mu, maybe with exception of the world itself? Inception awaited.
Man, this is gonna be gem like no other.

And @Pizza
Eyeballs and potential. Just wanna play this (same for @MakioKuta and @Racheal and April and May)

@Ebeth - Everything Will be Fine
At first I started Stayin Alive by an accident as from the look of it game is exactly about Disco. And shite that intro was just haunting. End of the demo is just perfect. I like it so far. Something says me heroine won't be so lucky next time.
My score on Gameboy Shooter was 1156.

@Kazesui I wrote it as a comment

@sawworm
Pretty much what Cash wrote. Groovy music, groovy atmosphere. Story is presented exactly the way I like it. I liked that I could interact with everything. Math puzzle is just clever.

Stuff
@Luchino Your custom graphics are what's gonna make Tristian something more than just another Enelysion (tho bigger and better). The map is exceptional and lurks me to join your characters on their journey. I was looking forward to release of the game and I do twice as much now. Most promising screenshot of 2015?

@ErikHolland
I kinda dislike your mixing of different styles. It was on the table with your previous screennies and its there again with this one. My eyes are bleeding seeing how you collaged two different building. The bottom part is probably taken from some photography. It may become new fashion to mix-up RTP styled graphics with real objects. You never know.

@LockeZ I don't see an ugly map with ugly barrels and non-fitting characters. I see potential. However the way it is now, It doesn't appeal to my eye. Everything is brown and blurry with sharp edges. You haven't managed to make space between water surface and oil platform.

I believe that's the last of it~ If I've missed something, PM me with links! Otherwise, feedback time now that everything is there~
@CashmereCat - I enjoyed your game, I have a few questions though. You can find my feed back in the link http://rpgmaker.net/games/7110/?post=623435#post623435

Edit - sorry didn't see that post at first Liberty I'll send you a message.
author=Housekeeping
That's pretty impressive, man. Are you using pictures for every number/letter or can you actually output text for that version of RPG Maker?

Nah, it’s all done by pictures. It’s a real pain in the ass, but it’s worth it. And thanks for the comment!

author=Marrend
I get what the IOU icon stands for, since you mention what IOUs are in your post. I'm not quite sure what's up with the key icon. Unless it's a Get Out of Jail Free card? Also, are those other icons on top of the player-order a visual representation of the properties they own? That would be pretty neat!

The key icon, indeed, is for the Get Out Jail Free cards. And yes, those colored icons that are above each player represents each property that they have, mortgaged or otherwise.

- Now it’s time for me to do some feedback:

Rachael & MakioKuta – April Was A Fool (Gamepage)
Wow, I absolutely love the art style for this game thus far, as it’s definitely one of the first things that instantly drew me into this. I’m not the biggest visual novel fan in the world (as, as of this point, I’ve only played around three of them and have only reviewed two of them thus far), but this is something that I’m really looking forward to and might be one of the sleeper picks for me out of the whole Release Something Day Event XIII. The characters also seem pretty interesting to me, and the amount of work that you guys have both put into it thus far is quite impressive. I’ll be looking forward to this whenever you guys manage to finish it.

Housekeeping – Jimmy And The Pulsating Mass (Gamepage)
OMG, the name alone just sold it for me right there…not to mention the incredible, if not, goofy-looking enemy sprites and, since this is heavily inspired by Earthbound (one of my favorite RPG’s ever) – how can I not like this!? I’m not usually the one who spends any money on any amateur looking RPG Maker games, but this one might be an exception to that rule in the future.

Corfaisus - Tales Of Zilmurik (Screenshot & Notes)
Sounds like you’ve been working rather hard on this game as of late. Anywhooo, I don’t think I’ve ever played any of your games before, Corfaisus...especially not the Tales Of Zilmurik games that you have. One of these days I have to definitely give one of your games a try, as it looks like you could use some more reviews and some more feedback. I’m actually quite surprised that you don’t have that many comments for any of your games, myself. As for the screenshot that you posted, I really like the enemy sprites. And – is that a dragon in your party!? Oooo…! (Maybe I might need to check this out, actually.)

orochii - Drekirökr - Dusk of the Dragon (Gameplay Video)
(Poor character, can’t even get out, lol.)

Anyways, the town’s exterior looks rather well designed mapping wise, and it’s extremely neat how you can jump over some of those annoying, little obstacles in your way, like those annoying trees. The song that was used didn’t quite catch me at first, but it sounds like it grows on you after a while and really fits the theme of the icy town. The only complaint that I have is that mini-map in the corner seems to have too much empty, grey space. I’m not sure if that’s just all unfinished area or not or this whole mini-map function needs to be adjusted a bit, but it’s the only real blemish that I can see in that video.

LockeZ - Iniquity and Vindication (Screenshot)
Lol, Is that, that stupid game where the main character is fighting all those sharks in that sewer? Yeah, I remember that from a long time ago! I didn’t know that you we’re the one who made that until just right now. Color me impressed. Anyways, it’s good to see that you’re still working on this, and I might even have to give it a go sometime in the future. The screenshot posted isn’t anything special of note, but it definitely does represent the humor that this game has going for it.

Phew, that’s it for now. I’ll try to see if I can comment on some more of the entries if I can get some more time.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Tried out Super Battle Kiddo Experience! I don't have a lot of time today, so I only played for about 30 minutes (I did the entire first dungeon).

Simple, but fun. The first four kids have unique feels to them. I can't wait to see how the rest of the cast plays. No need for long, complex dungeons when you just give players the options, and let them choose what to do. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the lack of a more engaging intro. That's my personal preference, though, and not a knock at the game. Keep things simple, that seems to be the overarching theme here, and I can definitely get behind that.

Some notes I took while playing:

Interesting. There’s no title on the title screen. When that happens, either this game is going to be awesome, or awful. There seems to be no in-between.

Well, okay, the plot certainly doesn’t waste any time.

Map-wise, it doesn’t make sense to have the item shop and equipment shop next to each other. I know it’s just to save map space, but I would have at least put them further apart.

That's really cool how there’s no basic attacks! It makes you really think about every action!

There are different battle transitions, battle music… holy crap this is good!

Myra is so OP. One Flame Rune and she killed the Witchent enemy (which I thought was a boss)

I kind wish I had the opportunity to use these cool secondary abilities. Most enemies here die in one hit.

Is Armor the same as Defense? Leon's buckler says it raises defense but the stat it raises is armor. Invisible stats?

Killed the Dryad. That was a really fun battle! I liked how I was constantly trying to put as many debuffs on the boss as possible for Myra's Slice & Dice while the boss was removing those debuffs. It made for a real interesting dynamic!
@Addit: Thanks! I'm really glad people are enjoying the art style and look of the characters so far~! It's coming out April 1st come hell or highwater or multiple all-nighters! D<
sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
@VVBlastFuryVV - I liked the way you created the illusion of depth with the smaller, blurry tiles below your bridge. Is it a parallax image?

@VideoWizard - Those are very impressive and ambitious maps. Do you plan on filling out the entire thing? Will the swamp and mountains be separate maps or will they fill in the missing spaces in that shot? Either way, it's a huge endeavor. Keep up the good work.

More feedback to come.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
The OP did not clarify rules, so out of curiosity and the possible temptation to post it, would this game I released just yesterday everywhere but here be fine if i went and got that all released?

Or is there some sort of theme or thing I need to do and should I just forget it?

Really, i should put it up, the demo stage is the time it'll need feedback the most. Fuck it I'm gonna go put it up, and if i get in on this, hella!

If not, well fuck you guys too it's not like I wanted feedback or anything anyway! <Say I while going to eat ice cream out of the bucket and blowing my face into a box of tissues like a washed up hack.>
Thanks guys. I'm surprised none of you picked up a little mapping error in the screen. XD

Feedback time:

April was a Fool:

I didn't even need to look at the creators to know it was a Makio/Racheal combo, since the artstyle is extremely distinctive. And a punk-rock loving freakin' priest? XD Yeah, that in itself is already a trope breaker and awesome in its own right. But still, the pun on the game's title itself is a winner.

Photometric:

Pizza + Cashkitty working on a gam together? Yes please. Even though puzzles aren't really my thing, this does look to be a bit of a gem in the long run. Eyeball trees +1.

unity:

Got to give you a pat on the back for doing all those battlers, girl. ^^ The slime was a personal favourite of mine. Oh, and that red dragon. Really, really adorable sprites right there.

Ratty:

Yet another master pixel artist at work. I can easily see those graphics on a late 80s Gameboy. Even more amazing in the fact that you worked with so few colours, yet everything appears so distinct. Skeleton battler +1.

Addit:

So that's the elusive Monopolo everyone's been talking about, hey? Colour me intrigued since I don't see a lot of board-game type gams developed with the engine ( the last one I played was MitchiE's Konpeki Cosmic Drama for VX. Awesome stuff ). I do commend your work ethic for this, since I've heard that this project was in development for quite a while. ^^

LockeZ:

While the graphical style clashes a bit, I see rather a unique looking game made with RMXP. Some people may feel differently, but I always commend developers for trying to make their games look a little different from the 1000s of games made with the engine.

More to come.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Cool releases and glad to see 'em getting feedback, even if I missed this one.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Red_Nova
Tried out Super Battle Kiddo Experience! I don't have a lot of time today, so I only played for about 30 minutes (I did the entire first dungeon).

Simple, but fun. The first four kids have unique feels to them. I can't wait to see how the rest of the cast plays. No need for long, complex dungeons when you just give players the options, and let them choose what to do. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the lack of a more engaging intro. That's my personal preference, though, and not a knock at the game. Keep things simple, that seems to be the overarching theme here, and I can definitely get behind that.

Some notes I took while playing:

Interesting. There’s no title on the title screen. When that happens, either this game is going to be awesome, or awful. There seems to be no in-between.

Well, okay, the plot certainly doesn’t waste any time.

Map-wise, it doesn’t make sense to have the item shop and equipment shop next to each other. I know it’s just to save map space, but I would have at least put them further apart.

That's really cool how there’s no basic attacks! It makes you really think about every action!

There are different battle transitions, battle music… holy crap this is good!

Myra is so OP. One Flame Rune and she killed the Witchent enemy (which I thought was a boss)

I kind wish I had the opportunity to use these cool secondary abilities. Most enemies here die in one hit.

Is Armor the same as Defense? Leon's buckler says it raises defense but the stat it raises is armor. Invisible stats?

Killed the Dryad. That was a really fun battle! I liked how I was constantly trying to put as many debuffs on the boss as possible for Myra's Slice & Dice while the boss was removing those debuffs. It made for a real interesting dynamic!

Defense on the buckler is a typo, it means Armor. Glad you're liking it overall. =)

I decided on the really close shops on every interior map in the game as a stylistic choice. I'm not sure I'd do it again but I personally liked it =P