[RELEASE SOMETHING! DAY XIII] FEEDBACK THREAD

Pages: first prev 123456 last
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=sawworm
MakioKuta, CashmereCat, nhubi, Cap_H, drenrin2120, thanks to all of you for giving me very useful feedbacks. There are still lot to do and the current demo state improving as the days pass~

You are most welcome. I'm looking forward to the finished game, more snarky privileged vampire banter is always a joy.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Liberty
@Craze
Okay, so I've spent the last three hours having fun in Super Battle Kiddo E! Damn, it's fun once you get into the swing of things. I think it might be your best game yet. I really like that you don't have to pay for inns, especially with how much of a challenge it is to outfit your crew with decent kit since money is a bitch to come across (well, not a bitch, but it is a challenge unless you grind your ass off and I'm not one of those who enjoy over-grinding. I decided I'd only hit each HECS once in the game and have stuck to that. Still, level 5/6 where I'm at currently is about right, so good job on making it so that you don't have to grind.)
I've enjoyed the characterisation shown so far (to give an idea of where I am, I've done all the dungeons up to the temple so far. I just need to finish that to get the ship and move to the outer sea.)
I'm really enjoying it so far, though. Great job! I'll make a review or something after I'm done.

Oh, btw, I think you hit the balance of fights really well in this game. They can be a little long depending on the battle, but because they're in chains it feels like a chunk challenge and you can then run around and do stuff outside of that. The skills and 'classes' also work really well together and I've been using most characters in battle instead of just sticking to a couple of favourites - they each have their uses. That said, I do like the Myra/Wish/Vaunea combination. It covers most bases. Add Padrick as the secondary powerhouse, and you got a good team.

Also, the way battles are set up remind me of Mystic Quest and I've a love for the battlefields in that game (even used the idea in a few of my own unreleased games because why not, right?) I think it's a good way of allowing the player to pick what they do - optional fights that they can grind on if needed or try the blockage monsters.

Anyway, really enjoying it so far. GG >.<)b

Edit: Made it to the end. It was fun while it lasted and I'm looking forward to seeing a completed version... eventually. I hope. Please. >.<;

Glad you liked it! I did test the game by hitting each HECSS once, so it's nice that worked for you too, haha. I feel like Myra/Wish/Vaunea were actually the strongest characters, maybe too strong. I'm not sure, but I'm also not too worried.

I don't really like Mystic Quest as a whole but I am somewhat inspired by its dungeon layout, yes (for better or worse). I actually originally stole the "microdungeon" idea I've been using for years from Ill Will though.

If I ever get my own game studio I'd love to make Kiddos for real, but my plans are simply too grandiose and any attempt to pare them down makes the whole project seem cheap to me. It was definitely a learning experience, one I'm pretty happy with, but I'm moving on. I already spent a month waffling about and ignoring it, so that was a pretty clear sign it's dead to me.
As long as you keep up the good work!

@Yeaster
This is very much not my kind of game so I didn't play it for long. That said, I thought it was pretty neat. Graphically there's a lot of clashing between backgrounds and maps and it really doesn't fit well together. It's a pity because menus are sleek and modernistic. I'd suggest using the Futuristic and Modern resource packs if possible since they are similarly sleek and would fit better.

That said, I didn't get much into it so I feel kinda guilty talking about it. Writing was decent, though I didn't get invested in the characters or the story. I mean, what was there sounded interesting I guess, but there wasn't really a hook that made the think "I want to keep playing."

Battles weren't much of a challenge but seeing as it was the start of the game, that's understandable. I did like that you played with not only elemental weaknesses but physical weaknesses as well. Not many games do that, more's the pity.

Mapping was bland and rather empty, but it might just have been the starting areas. Like I said, I didn't really play too much of it - just up to meeting the second guy and sleeping the night in the bed. Anyway, good luck with the project!

@Cashmere
I gave Account Mu a go and enjoyed the first handful of puzzles... before getting stuck in one of the teleportation mazes. I kinda got really frustrated after forgetting which way to go when I'd nearly solved the puzzle (for about the 10th time) and hit a dead end with a reset, so I quit at that point.

Puzzles start off easily enough but the challenge of them is increased too much too soon, imo. They're interesting, though, and make good use of pushing puzzles. It took a little while for me to understand how to progress since there's no tutorial on what you're supposed to do, but once I figured it out I managed to get somewhere, so it's not to hard to figure. I did like the voice telling us it's life story - that was quite interesting. And the background. That is perfect.

Overall, it's a decent little puzzle game but I'm afraid my brains couldn't handle it very well. XD

@kentona
This is very much not my kind of game, sorry to say. That said, it has a lot of promise to be interesting. I think one of the biggest things that hinders it is the lack of control you have in or out of battles. I could deal with the no-control-in-battles thing if there was a way I could customise the skills/weaponry/armour/etc on my bot between battles. Even stuff like choosing skill points to spend on stats and picking which skills they use of a pool they can learn/find would help a lot with making the player feel less redundant.

For example, if they beat a certain opponent, perhaps they could learn a skill from that enemy's skillset, which can then be added to 'slots' of their own skills (for example, three slots until a certain level or something).

It is currently very basic but the outline is there to have something pretty interesting. ^.^)b

@sbethune81
I tried Canvas. I couldn't figure out how the overall story applied to the characters that were going through the dungeon at all. I also got stuck fairly early in - just after the spider room. I couldn't find a way to go forward and eventually died to a monster, which was a pity.

Honestly, I didn't like the key set-up. I wanted to hit enter to jump, or shift. (I'm not a fan of the old asd/zxc key bindings).

The game is rather... well, I couldn't really do much more than jump and solve a few puzzles so it's not very engaging, which is a pity because I liked the banter between the two thieves and I enjoyed the story that was being told in the beginning. I think you have a neat writing style. I just wish I'd been able to see more of it.

@unity
Man, this game brings me back to some of the first games I made. It was a neat trip into nostalgia lane and thankfully a good one!

You don't need me to tell you that graphics were hodge-podge - some of the NPCs pointed that out already. You also don't need me to tell you that the story was a bit odd in direction but that it was interesting non-the-less.

I rather enjoyed it, to be honest, and I'll be playing more of it later. I'm currently in the 'haunted' house, trying to find the wizard and so far the game is interesting. I like that you gave most things descriptions that differ to each other, and I enjoy the banter between the characters.

Sure, it has some issues. Battles are pretty easy (not necessarily a bad thing) and quite often occur (hello random encounters) but they've yet to be overly annoying.

Frankly, for an older game it's quite good. Be proud!

@sawworm
There's a big issue with this game that really doesn't help me like it - mainly, it's far too dark to see what I'm looking at and what can be interacted with. I basically spent most of my time spamming the enter button while running up against things.
Another thing I wasn't fond of was that when I found the notes they weren't added to my inventory. If I wanted to remember something I had to write it down which wasted time. It was quite annoying, especially if I forgot and had to refind the note again.
Also, the puzzle didn't tell you what you needed to do to complete it. I just spammed the switches until time ran out because there was no direction as to what I was supposed to make them add up to. Not sure if there was an indication if you'd gotten it correct, either - you should be sure to put something like that in so that people know.

Anyway, mapping is pretty nice bar the very dark lighting (seriously, why do people make it so dark? Light one candle in an otherwise dark room and you'll be able to see most of it quite well.) The writing was decent, too.
I don't really have anything else to say - it was a short demo and a bit frustrating, but decent. Good luck with the full game.

@Fomar
I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be aside from some kind of battle system. It was pretty buggy for me. I'd input a command, then another and another and another (all while being wailed on by the enemy). Then each time the AA would fill the commands would go through... still while being wailed on by the enemy. Thing is, I died because I wasn't sure that the command input wasn't a bug and... it probably would have helped to have some sort of quite rundown in-game about what the battles were supposed to be like. What is there has a glimmer of being interesting but so far it seems a bit on the buggy side. ^.^;

sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
@Liberty - Thank you very much for the feedback! It was a wonderful feeling seeing my name in your list above.

You learn more and more about how the two thieves tie in to the story she is telling as you progress. On the off chance you get the urge to find out, there is a walkthrough text file included in the download folder with a room-by-room breakdown. Thanks again for giving Canvas a shot.
author=Liberty
@sawworm
There's a big issue with this game that really doesn't help me like it - mainly, it's far too dark to see what I'm looking at and what can be interacted with. I basically spent most of my time spamming the enter button while running up against things.
Another thing I wasn't fond of was that when I found the notes they weren't added to my inventory. If I wanted to remember something I had to write it down which wasted time. It was quite annoying, especially if I forgot and had to refind the note again.
Also, the puzzle didn't tell you what you needed to do to complete it. I just spammed the switches until time ran out because there was no direction as to what I was supposed to make them add up to. Not sure if there was an indication if you'd gotten it correct, either - you should be sure to put something like that in so that people know.

Anyway, mapping is pretty nice bar the very dark lighting (seriously, why do people make it so dark? Light one candle in an otherwise dark room and you'll be able to see most of it quite well.) The writing was decent, too.
I don't really have anything else to say - it was a short demo and a bit frustrating, but decent. Good luck with the full game.

About darkness issue, I'm going to add color selection mode~ Not everyone has full brightness on their monitors, it could be a big problem if I don't add that option.
-Just added color option as you point the issue~

Switch puzzle got 2 solutions, all based on switch values, there is also a note about you need to equal values for solving the puzzle, which is not very obvious but very helpful. I don't know which version you've played, 0.4 and 0.5 might not have puzzle solving sound but I added later on. ^.^

Thanks for playing, Liberty.
Liberty, thank you for the feedback. I didn't know there was a modern/futuristic research pack. I just sort of grabbed whatever I could. =P
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@LibertySorry I forgot to reply. Thanks for playing! Your feedback is very greatly appreciated. If you found the initial puzzles frustrating, I'm afraid to say the puzzles only get harder from there! Some people have told me that the game was very hard and challenging, whereas others found that the game's difficulty was too easy, and were looking for more challenge. Indrah quit after the first 5 minutes, saying this wasn't her type of game, and kory_toombs, while enjoying the game, seemed to find some mechanics confusing. Others have told me that the game's difficulty was appropriate, and that the learning curve was well-crafted. Pianotm found the puzzles a little too basic, and sbethune81 said the learning curve was good.

I think I'd rather the game be difficult rather than easy, but I don't want it to be frustrating because of bad design decisions. It seems that people have had minor troubles accidentally stepping on reset buttons and the such like. I think that the solution is to create this game for a puzzle fan niche.

In other words, thanks for playing and giving feedback ;)
Since it has been a month since the end of this event and the Release Serah achievements haven't gone out yet, I did them today! However, it should be noted that I didn't know what criteria Liberty intended for "good feedback", so of course my liberal interpretation of "good" applied.

Here is the list I devised from the Feedbag thread:

nhubi
Marrend
Red_Nova
Corfaisus
MakioKuta
CashmereCat
Puddor
Housekeeping
Cap_H
Addit
RedMask
Luchino
drenrin2120
pianotm
Liberty
sbethune81
Archeia_Nessiah
WolfCoder
Ratty524
sinnelius
Ebeth

If your name is NOT on this list and you feel it should have been, PM me!
Pages: first prev 123456 last