[RM2K3] WHAT EXACTLY DOES "OBSERVE BATTLE" DO IN RPG MAKER 2003 FOR ENEMIES?

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Exactly as the topic asks. Also I didn't know exactly where to place this so I decided to ask it in here.
It basically makes them skip a turn.
Thiamor
Does it do anything else? There's already a "do nothing" function so it seems pointless to have basically 2 "do nothing" functions.
Thiamor
I was hoping it actually observed the battle so the enemy does skills based on what they saw of you.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The correct place for questions about how to use RPG Maker is the help forum. This forum is for non-technical discussions about how to make better games.

Also, from the help file:

--> Attack : Attacks normally..
--> Double Attack : Attacks twice
--> Defend : The enemy defends for one turn.
--> Observe Battle : The monster does nothing. A message is shown.
--> Charge Up : The monster forfeits its turn to make its next attack stronger.
--> Self-Destruct : Kills the monster and damages the party.
--> Escape : Monster attempts to run away.
--> No Action : The monster does nothing. No message is shown.
Self destruct also behaves as an escape, if I remember correctly. As in, you don't collect items/exp from that monster.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=LockeZ
--> Observe Battle : The monster does nothing. A message is shown.

Well, then. Isn't that just nice and pointless.
It's basically to give the player a break. It would be cool if, instead, it assessed the players' characters and let the AI decide on who is weakest and strongest, who is weak against which element, etc - like an enemy version of Scan.
observe battle
Wait 40 frames, flash Monster, play a sound; shows that a turn was wasted

do nothing
no Waits, no flash, no sound, resets idle pose (effectively does nothing on monsters)

charge up
lose a turn, forced regular attack on next turn with 200% damage; classic FF nonsense

self-destruct
deals damage to party: [1.0]Str(user) - [0.5]Def(target)
20% damage variance, 100% hit chance, 100% chance to cure conditions with "cured by damage"

escape
the "attempts to run away" is somewhat misleading:
if the monster is surrounded -> escape message is shown, escaping fails, turn wasted
if not surrounded -> 100% escape chance

author=Thiamor
I was hoping it actually observed the battle so the enemy does skills based on what they saw of you.

It can still turn a Switch ON, and that's all you need to run an assessment of the situation / players party. In the background. Yourself.

(this is the game design sub-forum, isn't it?)
Check who's in the party, what equipment they have, turn Switches ON depending on elemental weaknesses, have higher priority behaviors pre-set which are only available if a certain Switch is ON.

You can make a lot out of the vanilla DBS, it just takes some effort. (and effort to ignore / reduce the abysmal speed issues)
Such as making multi-step charge-up Skills (with SkillType = Switch) that open up higher priority actions in the ememy's behavior pool. You know, so that the player can actually notice that and prepare for it or launch countermeasures.

available enemy actions:
behaviors with priorities ranging from the highest priority (with all conditions met) to -10 priority (from that highest priority)

Also, the AI for auto-battle / AI-controlled Heroes does try to prioritize actions that cumulate the most damage (or heal the most damage on your side). But checking for the amount of dealt/healed damage on a single target is borked up anyways (only uses the value from the last (enemy) party member)
Pages: 1