THE "NEW" RM2K3 ENGINE

So, a quick announcement, relating to the new official translation release of RM2k3:

The existing RM2k3 engine on RMN has been renamed to RPG Tsukuru 2003

...which is what it really is - the Japanese engine illegally translated and shared throughout the web-o-sphere. The new acronym will be rt2k3. All of the existing RM2k3 games and utils and resources and whatnot are still associated with this engine.

http://rpgmaker.net/engines/rt2k3/

The official English release has been added as a new engine RPG Maker 2003

It will use the old acronym of rm2k3. None of the existing gameprofiles will be associated with it until the creators make the change themselves.

http://rpgmaker.net/engines/rm2k3/

I decided to differentiate between the two, because as of right now they aren't fully compatible (though RT2k3 projects can be imported into RM2k3), especially where things like DynRPG is concerned. Plus, I expect the old illegal RM2k3 to soldier on, as it has such an established footprint. And we have such a legacy of old 2k3 games on here that it would be misleading to say that they were made in the new official engine that just came out.

I had to make a call on this, and this is what I decided to do.
Well done kentona, you're great.
author=Faenon
Well done kentona, you're great.

I am.

...but all I did here was add a new engine option to RMN.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah but you have the best avatars so
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Nice distinction, and it will aid in clarity, not to mention we get the old icons back too so that's a win/win. I'm just going to have to add RT2K3 to my lexicon.

Hysterically this is the tagline showing as I type this;

Use every RPG Maker you can. Try them for at least 4 minutes and 33 seconds each.

Seems everyone needs to dedicate another 4 and half minutes of their life again.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Kaiser said it best in IRC last night:

<Kaiterra> Hey RM2k3 has one big advantage that newer versions don't
<Kaiterra> It's a lot simpler to use rips from old games!
<Kaiterra> At least and still have them look good.

Going forward, what will be the stance on SNES rips and the like in Rm2k3 games on RMN?
Discussed it in the podcast last night, but basically that we're not fussed. Just... keep in mind that you won't be commercially allowed to sell any game with rips (I think everyone knows that by now, though). RMN isn't going to police or change our rips stance.

http://rpgmaker.net/articles/1125/ <-Podcast
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Is there going to be an event where we can win this thing?
Craze
more playlists

i'd be glad to help come up with something for a short gam mak contest. i think the hardest part though is figuring out how to not be illegal, haha? like forcing people to do a rt2k3 contest to win rm2k3 is, uh, yeah... but at the same time, an "anything goes" contest sounds awkward. a shame, i still think a contest about subjecting craze to terrible 2k3 games would be hilarious

maybe some sort of ace nugget crash course again, but in any of the modern makers and with stricter restrictions/guidelines to help make it a speedy 8-10 day contest? idk, hit me up if you staffers get stuck.
We were considering a mapping with RTP kind of event, but honestly I (only me it seems) don't see an issue with t2k3 gammak to get the official copy. It would encourage people to get it, after all, and it's not like it's some huge secret that people 'round here have t2k3 or will be looked down on/penalised for it after all. If it nets someone a legit copy so that they stop using the tk3 version, then why not? (Also, tk3... I like that, since the t can be two or tsu... tsuk3) XD
Everybody who would want rm2k3 already has rt2k3, so I don't have a problem with a 2k3 event where either is allowed. If the winner already has rm they can get another prize if they don't want a gift copy. It'd be awkward (take part in this event! ps can't tell you where to get the tool) though so I wouldn't be opposed to opening it up to other makers and having a themed contest instead.
So now those new icons make sense!

- Hello snotball!
we need to find out if rt2k3 users are WORTHY of the legit deal
RPG Tsukuru 2003. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
tsuk3. It sounds like 2k3. ^.^

There, I have coined the new term for it. Worship me.

That said, how about an RTP-only battle of the gams? 5 maps total, 15x20. Full gam. One week.
Craze
Yeah, something that restrictive would work I think. If it inlcudes post-2k3 makers, no scripting outside of minor tweaks (as in, moving a window to the side or changing the evasion formula, but not throwing in a different battle system or a license board).
Pffft its be no scripting at all. Not even changing the damage formulas in the script box.
Perhaps allow changing of the damage formulae in the database but otherwise, no scripting whatsoever, including calling scripts by commands. Just the default engine eventing and you~
author=Liberty
That said, how about an RTP-only battle of the gams? 5 maps total, 15x20. Full gam. One week.

I'd expect that I'd spend the whole week making four of the maps generic dungeon pieces and using tileset manipulation, a dozen of variables, and a monstrous teleport event to make a dozen semi-distinct dungeons out of it before realizing I don't actually have a game and releasing nothing on the seventh day.