[RMVX ACE] CAN ANYBODY TEACH ME RUBY

Pages: first 12 next last
i want to develop my own scripts but i do not know any programming languages already and as such the help file in rpg maker vx ace is useless to me.(must have already learned another language in order to get anything out of that.) therefore i ask the people here to teach me. i seek to learn how to create a quest log that is accessed from the menu.(similar to in ni no kuni.) i want to learn stuff from it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Trihan wrote these excellent articles called Slip into Ruby. That's the link to the first article. You can find the rest by going into the Development tab and clicking on Articles.
those taught me nothing as they require people to learn the basics first and i have not. i have to start at the basics so please teach me.
well, you can try CodeAcademy or the like and search for Ruby
http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/ruby

I wrote a whirlwind overview of Ruby some time ago, too
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/316/
I think Trihan's tutorials are about as beginner friendly as most Ruby tutorials that I've looked at are, but then again, everyone learns differently.
Maybe a video tutorial series is more your style?
I rather liked these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu_gesZsbQQ50g3Y302dN0sq6DuErvcJy
i can not learn from video tutorials and i have said that before. i must have text when i study so that i can re-read it. slip into ruby skips the basics and goes straight to advanced stuff and i know because i have read it. i need to learn ruby in order to do what i want to do in my game so i have no choise. i have no experience with writing code already.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
The whole point of Slip into Ruby is that it's aimed at complete beginners, so if someone considers it too advanced I've failed in my mission. What specifically about it are you not understanding?
i do not understand what i need before the code that is present in slip into ruby.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
You need literally nothing. Any code that Slip into Ruby contains is self-contained and doesn't need anything else prior to writing it. Concepts that are introduced in each part are explained as it goes through them.
Ruby is a terrible first language imo. I suggest you try out something like C or Python first. Python's easier to learn, and will expedite your diving into ruby (I've proven this myself). C, on the other hand, is the base of Ruby, so most of the things you do in C can be done in Ruby.

I assume you have no background at all, so I think you should establish one first.
with my intellect i should be able to go directly to ruby and that is what i want. it might be a steeper learning curve but i do not care. i do however have a learning disability that limits how much i can learn in a week. when i reach my limit i leave until i am able to learn again, which is why i am sometimes gone for a while. i am also a night person which means that i work better at night. lets take this gradually. how do i create a sub menu?(it is needed for the systems i want and an absolute must.)
please help me out with this. i have worked with the trigger editor in warcraft 3 so i do have some understanding of scripting from there. i am going to try to learn ruby whether you help me or not though it would have been easier if you helped me.
Use things like codeacademy to learn the basics then try to read and edit some scripts. When reading the scripts google the stuff you can't understand... Just keep trying and eventually you'll be making your own scripts.
so you posted just to tell me that you refuse to help me. that was unnecessary. that makes you the 6th person that writes here just to tell me that you refuse to help me. could people please teach me instead of just saying that they refuse to help. i would have helped other people in need of help but i am best at warcraft 3 but, if somebody does have a question regarding that they are welcome to pm me. i tried the codeacademy but it is broken. the ruby course bugs up in the math part of it and refuse to send me further, instead sending me back as math is unsupported in the version of ruby they are using.
I don't think anyone here will coach you......

You have to try and learn on your own. It may seem hard, but you can do it, anyone can do it.
i can find no information on what i want to accomplish and as such i am completely stuck. i know that people are protective of their own systems but i do not ask people to give those away. i want to create my own systems from scratch. please help me do that.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=andreasaspenberg
i can find no information on what i want to accomplish and as such i am completely stuck.

What do you want to do, again?

author=andreasaspenberg
how do i create a sub menu?

Wait, what? I find it very unlikely that you cannot find a tutorial that walks your through this. Though, I dunno, I have some experience with making custom menus. I mean, there are no screenshots of said menus, but they are totally there. However, like I said in your other thread, I'm not sure how good of a teacher I can be.

Aside: I wouldn't call myself a "master", or even an "expert" in Ruby, but, I was mostly self-taught. Though, to be fair, I did take programming courses in college, so, I had a bit of background before delving into it.
i learned web design and flash at school though i have forgotten the code i learned. i have worked with the warcraft 3 trigger editor a lot and that is object oriented. i tried to search for information on how to create a sub-menu without any luck. what i have learned on my own is that i will most likely need scene menu base. please at least try to teach me.
author=andreasaspenberg
those taught me nothing as they require people to learn the basics first and i have not. i have to start at the basics so please teach me.

Uhhhh, those were the basics, aside from maybe stuff like includes for headers.

Also, I think people have been helping you, and you don't like the method.

with my intellect i should be able to go directly to ruby and that is what i want.

Wow, ummm. Only people gave you numerous tutorials, and you don't seem to learn.

i learned web design and flash at school though i have forgotten the code i learned. i have worked with the warcraft 3 trigger editor a lot and that is object oriented. i tried to search for information on how to create a sub-menu without any luck. what i have learned on my own is that i will most likely need scene menu base. please at least try to teach me.

This.

I learned C++ at high school. Once it's gone however, no amount of videos is gonna get it back. It's lodged in your brain in a weird way, and text examples alone won't do it. I relearned C++ by redoing some of the old codes on code blocks as exe files. I had to actually type out code again before I was like "ohhhh, that's right."

When you have previously learned something, you have a mental roadblock in your head. "I was pretty good back in the day but I don't remember it now." But you don't remember it now. You have to remember that whatever you were in the past, the way to learn it now is to start again with a hands-on method. Part of you has "muscle memory" of doing it, the rest of you has forgotten. So you need to go back to your roots, and experiment until something clicks.

https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/

A submenu is simply something that inherits from the main menu, right? Here's a main menu, minus the whole working with game pictures thing.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11956127/ruby-program-creating-a-menu
Just so you know, I'm not a pro or anything. I only started about a month or so ago, and learned gradually by: absorbing Ace's help file, modding the hell out of Yanfly's scripts, and porting over my C projects into Ruby. All I'm saying is: learning ruby is not going to come to you in a silver platter. Those you said to have 'refused' to help you, have in fact been providing you with everything that anyone would've needed to get started. I just hope that you realize that.

As for creating the sub-menu, I agree with Marrend. There's tons of step-by-step tuts in the net, and a quick google search returns some pretty decent results.

But if you can't find one you like, you can always look at the script editor (I assume you're using RM). Try to find the scene that most closely resembles what you want to do, and use that as a jump-off point. Use the comment headers on your jump-off scene, all windows it creates, and their corresponding superclasses, to figure out what you should do, what you need and don't need, and etc.
Pages: first 12 next last