[RMVX ACE] ARE THERE ANY GAMES WITHOUT THOSE HORRID DEFAULT SPRITES?

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
magi i'd prefer random dialog generation to 2k3's "rename the rudras cast" feature

tft: there's plenty of original content even if it doesn't all succeed on kickstarter
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Craze
magi i'd prefer random dialog generation to 2k3's "rename the rudras cast" feature

Me too. Good thing I moved on from Rudra and RPG2003 years ago. How is NicoB's game coming along?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah if you can't find custom styles for characters in VX Ace games,

you
aren't
looking
very
hard
at
all.

But
wait,
surely
there
can't
be
that
many
games
with
custom
characters
in
them,
right?

Well,
actually
there
seems
to
be
a
great
many.

Also, graphics started meaning less when people started actually working on making their games fun instead of just pretty.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Random dialogue generation would be a fantastic level of self-parody. I would be infinitely amused.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=LockeZ
Like seriously, how many RM2K tilesets were out there by 2008? Why don't we have even 2% that many VX tilesets?

Weren't half of the 2k tilesets rips from SNES games?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah. Why don't we have more tileset rips for VX Ace? It's not any harder. In fact it's easier! It's much easier to convert a 2K3 tileset to VX Ace than to convert an SNES tileset to 2K3. Plus there are actually a pretty good number of tile-based PSX and Saturn/Dreamcast games that could be ripped.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
More than just a few people in the VXA community are afraid that if they use rips they will be sued and their project destroyed. On top of that, any games that use rips aren't allowed to be shared on RMWeb. Since this is considered the flagship community by some, its policies tend to trickle outward.

We're just moving beyond the era of rips, for better and worse. People that want to make games with ripped graphics should of course still feel free to without the silly fear that SquareEnix is going to come knocking on their door, however..
Craze
my main problem with rips is that i rarely feel like they're used in a more creative or more appealing way than the source material. with games like rudras, where you traipse inside of giant beasts and ride a blood river into the underworld and and fly to the moon... seeing the same forest done in a subpar manner compared to the original game just seems bland and pointless.

i have given them a lot of shit in the past (despite having used them plenty in the 2k3 days, and pokemon conquest portraits in a contest game), but to be honest it's just a matter of preference. if you use ripped charsets though, at least edit them... that NicoB had art drawn of the unedited rudras characters absolutely baffles me. it's similar to (but worse than) blindmind having an artist do characters standing in front of suikoden 2 areas... i think he's taken all those down though.

i don't think that there's really any winning side to RIPS R GOOD vs RIPS R EVIL, so whatever! i mean i once recolored rudras characters and used phoenix wright portraits as their facesets. so.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=CashmereCat

you
aren't
looking
very
hard
at
all.

But
wait,
surely
there
can't
be
that
many
games
with
custom
characters
in
them,
right?

Well,
actually
there
seems
to
be
a
great
many.

Also, graphics started meaning less when people started actually working on making their games fun instead of just pretty.

Nice list :DDDD
CashmereCat
Actually I should probably make it into a playlist, right? It'd be a lot less pretentious and feel less like I'm trying to prove a point ;)

Oh! and how could I forget Luxaren Allure? (I was only scanning through Completed Games, that's my excuse ;))
There are... I don't know if it's just me, but I like those small sprites more than the tall ones.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=CashmereCat

I appreciate the list! Looks like some good stuff to checkout.

However, this comment is total garbage and you should feel bad for it. Graphics are always important in a visual medium. Not every game needs to have realistic graphics or anything. But they are always crucial to the experience.
CashmereCat
author=WIP
author=CashmereCat

However, this comment is total garbage and you should feel bad for it. Graphics are always important in a visual medium. Not every game needs to have realistic graphics or anything. But they are always crucial to the experience.

I didn't say graphics weren't crucial, I said games got better when we focussed on gameplay instead of making things look pretty. Pretty only goes so far if it decorates a hollow core.

Edit: Also, does that mean we can't make games for the blind or visually impaired? Always is a strong word.
author=Craze
my main problem with rips is that i rarely feel like they're used in a more creative or more appealing way than the source material. with games like rudras, where you traipse inside of giant beasts and ride a blood river into the underworld and and fly to the moon... seeing the same forest done in a subpar manner compared to the original game just seems bland and pointless.

it's similar to (but worse than) blindmind having an artist do characters standing in front of suikoden 2 areas... i think he's taken all those down though.

i don't think that there's really any winning side to RIPS R GOOD vs RIPS R EVIL, so whatever! i mean i once recolored rudras characters and used phoenix wright portraits as their facesets. so.

How is it any different than people making the same overtly bland (and blocky) forest maps, inns, cave dungeons, and an endless assortment of generic shit with the RTP? Haha smells like hypocrisy tbh. We all know that constitutes 80% of the VXA games on RMN. Unless we're talking true indie games, the source of the visuals is about as relevant as the engine (i.e. not very).

As WIP already said, visuals are inseparable (and vital) to the experience of a video game, so obviously the feeling of "sameness" is a valid complaint. But it's idiotic of you to suggest that's only applicable to people who use Rudra rips, as though you have some odd kind of vendetta.
author=unity
author=CashmereCat

*list o' games*

Nice list :DDDD

Damn, I didn't make the cut.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=CashmereCat
author=WIP
author=CashmereCat

I didn't say graphics weren't crucial, I said games got better when we focussed on gameplay instead of making things look pretty. Pretty only goes so far if it decorates a hollow core.

Edit: Also, does that mean we can't make games for the blind or visually impaired? Always is a strong word.

When did said transition take place? Games have always been a combination of senses (video and audio) combined with controls and mechanics. Good games have all of those things. Super Mario Bros. is the quintessential harbinger of "the video game" and had all three.

Don't distort what I'm trying to get at; I am not saying graphics have to be 500+ million polygon per second monsters. Or high resolution Guilty Gear sprites. But your game needs to have a visual (and aural) identity as well as a mechanical one.

And for your straw man argument of blind or visually impaired gamers: if you made a game completely devoid of visuals, I daresay you have not created a video game. There are ways to help visually impaired gamers depending on the degree of impairment. Color Blind modes in games should be the standard for AAA titles. It should even be baked into OSs. Now that would be some progress.
CashmereCat
<redacted, my argument was false ;)>

Games have always been a combination of senses (video and audio) combined with controls and mechanics. Good games have all of those things.

ADOM? Nethack? Dwarf Fortress? You might say "these games had a visual identity" but that's not the point I was making. The point I was making was that these games didn't focus on the graphics and it got them bogged down so they spent several days working on making their screenshots look pretty but their game plays like a railroad space-masher. I was saying an anachronism that games got better when we focussed less on graphics and more on gameplay... because we almost used to focus solely on graphics to judge whether a game is great or not, but that's simply not an accurate measure of a game's greatness. We still do.

But your game needs to have a visual (and aural) identity as well as a mechanical one.

A visual identity? What does this even mean? Every game has a visual identity. Doesn't mean they have a pleasing one, sure, but every game has a visual identity. If you mean that a game has a consistent visual style or a pleasing one, I'd still argue that you don't need one in order to be a good game. Some old DOS or SNES games looked pretty shit, yet they were still great games.

Edit:

kentona
Damn, I didn't make the cut.

That's probably a good way of making the cut. List updated. ;)
Craze
Blindmind
Craze

it's similar to (but worse than) blindmind having an artist do characters standing in front of suikoden 2 areas... i think he's taken all those down though.

How is it any different than people making the same overtly bland (and blocky) forest maps, inns, cave dungeons, and an endless assortment of generic shit with the RTP? Haha smells like hypocrisy tbh. We all know that constitutes 80% of the VXA games on RMN. Unless we're talking true indie games, the source of the visuals is about as relevant as the engine (i.e. not very).

As WIP already said, visuals are inseparable (and vital) to the experience of a video game, so obviously the feeling of "sameness" is a valid complaint. But it's idiotic of you to suggest that's only applicable to people who use Rudra rips, as though you have some odd kind of vendetta.

i mean you cut out the part of my post where i suggested editing and changing sprites up, then go on about the generic shit that's made with every engine ever period. it's just more prominent with vx/ace because we have larger and more tailored-to communities than two boards on GamingW. there will ALWAYS be generic shit.

also i never said it was only applicable to people using rudras rips??? i mention it a lot because forever's end is shit and rudras is my favorite snes game, but i thought it was clear that i was talking about rips overall. (if you want an "odd vendetta", there's your reasoning, bucko)

i also said that there's no winning side to "RIPS vs NO RIPS" so i'm not sure what's so hypocritical about wanting better/more unique usage of graphics in games. i wish people used ALL graphics in cool, new ways (or at least drew from a larger pool). my friend versalia runs a virtual tabletop RP that uses vx ace rtp edits as its backdrops, and he always comes up with awesome edits and changes that raise the source material beyond their original use.

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/16862/?post=612510#post612510

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/16862/?post=621474#post621474

seems more interesting than "foggy suikoden forest" but w/e, i'm done with character assassination now ;V

my maps are probably not the coolest or best. i'm not a great mapper, but more recently i've been trying new stuff out (mostly with versa prodding me to experiment with edits and such). i think that's all we can really aim for at this point: encouraging other people to try new things step by step. it could be as simple as editing larger trees into your rtp tilesets, or ripping something from terranigma instead of just suikoden/rudras/seiken densetsu.

ALSO YOU SAID WHERE THE GRAPHICS COME FROM DOESN'T MATTER AND THAT'S SO FALSE. the rtp is just vanilla, meant to be an "everygame" thing. one of the biggest reasons to edit your rtp characters is to make them not just Ralph (unless you're me and try to own the rtp for yourself like an asshole). but when i see surlent from rudras going from being a male undead scholar to a female valkyrie or something (this isn't an attack on balmung, just the first thing to come to mind), i lose a little something. i see surlent, not <that chick>.

and before you rub your "craze is a hypocrite" lotion on your privates again, yeah, i know i used unedited pokemon conquest rips in one of my recent contest games. i am the most despicable human on rmn. flog me, blindmind, for in your eyes i am a sinner.

cashmerecat: that's a game or interactive experience, not a videogame. i mean, if we're gonna get all bothered over semantics...

edit: HEY I HAVE MORE TO SAY

i'm not sure why you think it's so black-and-white, roxas. maybe it's because you're heartless (i think? i dunno i never played that shit) but not only did i admit multiple times to being over RIPS v. NO RIPS, it just... why do people always assume that my opinions are completely one-sided? just because i said "i wish more people would have blood rivers in their games" doesn't mean i'm defending every single ugly-as-sin vx rtp game. i don't mind the rtp itself, but ugly is ugly. shitty mapping and horrible overlays will ruin any map.

...okay maybe it's because i put "RTP" on ultros's arm on my new avatar but c'mon, it's ultros with glasses, i don't think that comes off as being SERIOUS.

anyway continue disliking me and my stance on mapping/everything if you want, it can be mutual! or we could be friendly and i'll bite my tongue instead of saying "ur gam sux omega lol". like, bite my tongue clean off and mail it to you. because friendship. i have plenty of other people to pick on for being more effective jerks than you !!
CashmereCat
author=Craze
cashmerecat: that's a game or interactive experience, not a videogame. i mean, if we're gonna get all bothered over semantics...

Oh crap you're right... I forgot about the core word "video" :S

Argument redacted... It's never too late! xD

Edit: Only that part of the argument, btw, the rest of it still stands to whom it may concern...
i use rips and i dunno I'm a p cool guy sometimes